Maple spice pound cake is akin to a soft and cozy pullover sweater – it’s humble and unassuming, yet you can never go wrong with a plush spice cake topped with sublime swirls of maple frosting.
If time allows, bake the cake a day ahead of serving. The flavors of warming fall spices and dark amber maple syrup only get better with time. Incredibly simple and satisfying, this is one delightful fall cake you’ll reach for again and again, just like that sweater.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp dark amber maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang around the edges. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and maple syrup in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula and tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Bake for 50 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before using the parchment overhang to lift cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- For the frosting, whisk together melted butter, maple syrup, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk in powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over cooled cake. Let set before serving.
- Calories: 225
- Carbohydrates: 42