brown butter pear crumb cake
As summer wanes, it’s time for an easy crumb cake to usher us right into fall. Brown butter and spice (cinnamon, allspice, cardamom) work their magic on this cozy cake, dotted with tender pear slices and sprinkled with plenty of buttery crumb.
A slice of tender crumb cake for breakfast with hot coffee is my idea of heaven. This is one cake worth chasing down every last crumb!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced pears (I used D’Anjou)
- For the crumb topping, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping until ready to use.
- For the cake, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cardamom in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well; beat in vanilla. Combine yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in two additions, alternating with yogurt mixture. Fold in pears.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking dish (batter will be thick) and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for 28 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven to cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrates: 34