Perhaps my favorite way to eat peaches is standing over the kitchen sink as the sticky-sweet juice runs down my wrists. Could there be a more quintessential summer experience than that? Since ripe peaches need no adornment to shine, I showcased the fresh slices between citrusy lemon cake layers and plenty of honey whipped cream.
The result is a resplendent layered cake that’s surprisingly simple and every bit delicious. Lemon-scented cake, honey whipped cream, and glistening peach slices simply can’t be beat.
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg and 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Filling & Topping
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp orange blossom honey
- 2 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray three rectangular cake pans (or one jelly roll pan) with nonstick spray. Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Add egg and egg yolk and beat until combined. Combine buttermilk, yogurt and lemon juice in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans (1 cup batter per pan) and bake for 13 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the honey whipped cream, pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Whip on medium speed until cream begins to thicken. Turn off mixer and add honey; whip the cream on medium-high speed until peaks form.
- To assemble cake, place one layer on a serving platter. Use an offset spatula to spread honey whipped cream over cake layer and top with peach slices. Repeat with remaining layers. Cake is best served immediately.
To make your own cake flour: Place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Baking pan: I used this Wilton 4-Layer Rectangle Cake Pan Set (three pans needed for this recipe). Alternatively, bake cake batter in a jelly roll pan, then cut the rectangle into thirds.
- Calories: 305
- Carbohydrates: 45