blackberry-almond crumb cakes
Aren’t crumb cakes the loveliest? There’s something about them I find completely irresistible, especially when paired with summer berries. These tender and golden (mini) loaves are dotted with jammy blackberries, perfect for devouring and sharing.
Almond paste, a splash of Amaretto, and pure almond extract add a triple dose of intoxicating almond fragrance to the batter. Buttery brown sugar crumbs are the only adornment these beauties need!
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 to 3 drops pure almond extract
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces almond paste, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 cups blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 4 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. For the crumb topping, combine brown sugar and flour in a small bowl; add almond extract and melted butter and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping until ready to use.
- For the cakes, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; reserve one tablespoon flour mixture to toss with blackberries. Beat butter, almond paste, and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs, one at a time. Combine buttermilk, Amaretto, and almond extract in a small bowl. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture). Toss blackberries with reserved flour mixture and fold into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between loaf pans and smooth with an offset spatula; sprinkle with crumb topping. Place pans on preheated baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Store cakes in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days, or wrap well and freeze.
- Calories: 145
- Carbohydrates: 20