chocolate malt ice cream
The best chocolate malt is so thick and creamy that you can stand up a spoon in the glass. Imagine taking that same milkshake and churning it into the creamiest ice cream, with malted milk balls mixed in for crunch.
Whether you indulge in this ice cream straight from the freezer with only a spoon or serve in chocolate dipped cones (when in doubt, always go for the cone), two scoops are a must!
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups half-and-half, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vodka
- 1 cup malted milk balls, chopped and frozen for 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup malted milk balls, crushed
- Whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup half-and-half in a small bowl; set aside. Combine remaining half-and-half, sugar, cocoa, malted milk powder, vanilla, salt, and vodka in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisking to dissolve cocoa. Whisk in reserved cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook until mixture resembles a thick milk shake and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly on the surface of the mixture. Cool to room temperature, then chill for 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Pour chilled ice cream mixture into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add frozen malt balls in the final minute of freezing. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer until firm.
- For the dipped cones, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip cones into chocolate and sprinkle with crushed malted milk balls; place on baking sheet and freeze until set.
The vodka prevents the ice cream from freezing too firmly.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 265
- Carbohydrates: 37