As we ease into June, I find myself more than ready for summer – ready for a slower pace, for breezy mornings spent picking pounds of blueberries and transforming them into a blissful blueberry crostata. Flaky pastry envelops bursting blueberries in this free-form pie, so simple and so scrumptious.
If you live for pie, then the crostata is a must – it’s arguably the best way to showcase summer fruit without all the fuss of pie. As much as you’ll be tempted to dig into this crostata as soon as it emerges bubbling from the oven, let it cool a bit. And if you decide to top each wedge with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, I won’t stand in your way!
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1-2 Tbsp vodka
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of allspice
- 1/3 cup nuts, chopped (I used hazelnuts and pecans)
- 1 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup blueberry preserves
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Grate 1/4 cup butter into a small bowl; cut remaining 1/4 cup butter into small cubes and place in a second bowl; chill bowls in freezer for 15 minutes. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; place bowl in freezer to chill for 15 minutes. Chill buttermilk and vodka in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cubed butter over chilled flour mixture and toss with a spatula to coat. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until the biggest pieces are the size of peas; fold in grated butter. Drizzle buttermilk over flour mixture; use a spatula to gather dough together until it forms large clumps. If needed, add vodka 1 tablespoon at a time, then gently knead just to form a ball. Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze 1 to 2 months).
- For the streusel, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice, and nuts in a medium bowl; add cubed butter and toss with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet; chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Brush jam over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with blueberries and sprinkle with crumb topping. Fold dough border up over blueberries, pleating to make an edge; brush with milk. Bake for 25 to 26 minutes, until crust is golden and fruit is tender. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrates: 28