cream & vanilla bean scones with jam
I first fell for scones while dining at The Tuck Box, a charming English-style cottage tea room in Carmel. What’s not to love about warm buttery scones served with olallieberry jam? I’ve been smitten ever since. When I came across a recipe for cream scones (just cream, no butter, eggs, or buttermilk), I dropped everything to bake them.
My twist on the traditional circles or wedges is patting the dough out into a rectangle, layering with a slick of wild blueberry preserves, and brushing with more cream. Bake as a sheet, let cool and then slice (think biscotti). The resulting vanilla bean cream scones are soft and fluffy, dreamy even!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 6 Tbsp blueberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp Turbinado sugar
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Combine vanilla bean paste with 1 1/3 cups heavy cream; drizzle cream over flour mixture and fold in just until flour is incorporated and a shaggy dough forms – if needed, add 2 more tablespoons cream.
- Divide the dough in half; flour hands and pat one section out into a 10 by 6-inch rectangle on prepared baking sheet. Chill for 15 minutes (keep remaining dough cold). Place blueberry preserves in a small bowl and whisk to loosen; spread over chilled dough with an offset spatula, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Chill for 15 minutes. Dollop remaining dough over jam layer and gently pat out into a rectangle (don’t worry if some of the jam is exposed). Chill for 15 minutes and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush dough with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 19 to 20 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Place baking sheet on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days; warm before serving.
- Calories: 255
- Carbohydrates: 38