I’m convinced that the quintessential Spring cookie must be a Meyer lemon sandwich cookie. I intended to make thumbprint cookies but when my cookies lost their shape in the oven, I dreamed up these light and bright sandwich cookies instead. Drizzled with white chocolate and filled with homemade Meyer lemon jam, these are a must make for all lemon lovers.
The soft batch-style cookies melt in your mouth; sweet Meyer lemon jam with floral and honey notes ties up this Spring ensemble beautifully.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
Meyer Lemon Jam
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest (zest of 3 medium lemons)
- 1 small (2-inch) Meyer lemon, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ounce white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- For the cookies, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl. Place Meyer lemon zest and white sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat lemon-sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add Meyer lemon juice, vanilla and egg; beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 22 (1 1/4-inch) balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 minutes, until golden. Cool for 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the jam, combine Meyer lemon zest and sliced lemon with 1 cup water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain off liquid and repeat once more (this removes bitterness from the lemon). Add Meyer lemon juice, sugar, and 2 cups water to saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until jam thickens, about 45 minutes. Jam is ready when it coats a spoon. Pour jam into a jar and let cool for 15 minutes, then cover and chill in the refrigerator (jam thickens as it fully cools).
- When ready to assemble, place white chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Transfer white chocolate to a small piping bag and drizzle over half the cookies; chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set chocolate. Use an offset spatula to spread Meyer lemon jam on the underside of remaining cookies (if needed, microwave jam briefly to loosen). Top with drizzled cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Lemon Jam adapted from Give Recipe
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrates: 38