Blood oranges are one of those fleeting ingredients I can’t help but snatch up when I see them, taking advantage of the too-brief season. The citrus works beautifully in these sweet little bites, fragrant with blood orange zest and pure almond extract (though if you can’t find blood oranges, don’t let that dissuade you from trying these cookies – use whatever citrus fruit you like).
The soft batch-style cookies practically melt in the mouth, making it impossible to stop at just one. A flourish of naturally pink frosting makes these cookies fitting for Valentine’s Day decorating and devouring.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp blood orange juice
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 large egg
Blood Orange Frosting
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 Tbsp blood orange juice
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Place blood orange zest and white sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat blood orange-sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add blood orange juice, almond extract and egg; beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/4-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 minutes, until golden. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, pressing with the bottom of a glass to flatten slightly. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, melted butter, blood orange juice, and almond extract in a small bowl until smooth and spreadable. Use an offset spatula to frost cookies; let set before serving. Store leftover cookies in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrates: 22