Photos and recipe updated February 2019
I wouldn’t call myself a white chocolate kind of girl but there are times when only white chocolate will do. Prior to these salted white chocolate macadamia cookies, my memories of white chocolate macadamia cookies were less than favorable – dry, crumbly, and overly sweetened. Happily, I’ve cracked the cookie code with plenty of salt and soft brown sugar cookie dough.
Creamy white chocolate chunks and buttery rich macadamia nuts make for one sensational cookie; ample salt and a splash of dark rum keeps the sweetness in check. Is it any wonder that cookies are my favorite food group?
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- flaky salt
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, egg yolk, rum, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in macadamia nuts and white chocolate. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets (9 per baking sheet). Flatten mounds slightly and top with white chocolate, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11-13 minutes, until edges are golden and set. Sprinkle cookies with flaky salt and let cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 145
- Carbohydrates: 18
Keywords: White Chocolate, Macadamia