- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 package Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 1/4 cup (48 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 cups (240 g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp (84 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest (zest of 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until combined; mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 4-5 minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. For the filling/frosting, combine powdered sugar, salt, butter, Meyer lemon zest, juice, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or two 9-inch round pans) with nonstick spray.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread 6 tablespoons of filling over dough with an offset spatula, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Carefully roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal.
- Trim off uneven ends and score dough into 12 equal slices. Use unflavored dental floss to slice dough crosswise (slip a long slice of floss under log of dough and cross on top to cut slices cleanly). Place rolls cut side up into prepared baking dish. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- While the rolls rise, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Spread the remaining frosting over the warm rolls before serving.
Keywords: Meyer Lemon