You can never go wrong with chocolate and espresso; the duo is designed for one another and translates especially well to dessert. These espresso Toblerone tartlets feature just enough espresso for a pick-me-up and the mini size will satisfy a chocolate craving without undoing your January resolutions (that is, unless you eat the whole batch!).
Golden cream cheese pastry is a nice contrast to the espresso and Toblerone filling; a simple yet satisfying ganache topping gives the tartlets a double dose of espresso and chocolate. What could be better than that?
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 5 oz Toblerone, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso (recommended: Starbucks Via)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tsp instant espresso
- 3 ounces Toblerone, finely chopped
- Beat butter and cream cheese in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth; add sugar and salt and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour; beat just until incorporated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and spray two 12-cup mini muffin pans with nonstick spray. Form one-inch balls of dough and place each ball in a muffin cup; use lightly floured hands to press dough into the bottom and up the sides of each cup.
- For the filling, place chopped Toblerone and butter in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir until chocolate is melted; remove from heat and whisk in egg, vanilla, instant espresso, brown sugar, and salt until smooth. Spoon 1 slightly rounded teaspoon of filling into each cup. Bake for 20 minutes, or until filling is puffed and pastry is golden. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefully remove from pans and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- For the ganache topping, combine half-and-half and instant espresso in a saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Place chopped Toblerone in a medium bowl; pour half-and-half over chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Chill ganache in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes, until slightly thickened. Spoon onto tartlets and let set before serving. Store in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrates: 14