almond tea cake with lemon glaze
Forgive me for jumping ahead a season, but I find myself longing for spring. Perhaps it’s due to the new Ragdoll kitten I brought home a week ago today? Between chasing toys all over the house and much laughter over her antics, my heart has officially melted and I’m ready for bright and sunny days.
Enter this lovely tea cake, perfumed with almond paste and citrus. Each plush slice of golden cake is irresistible when kissed with tangy lemon glaze; alternately, serve with fresh whipped cream and berries for a light and flavorful treat with tea.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 ounces almond paste, cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Amaretto (or 1/8 tsp almond extract)
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Place almond paste, sugar, and lemon zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat coconut oil and almond paste mixture in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in Amaretto. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add buttermilk, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 55 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, lemon zest, and juice in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 224
- Carbohydrates: 36