mocha almond fudge
I don’t make much candy throughout the year, but come December, I find myself ready for any and all confections. First up is this impossibly rich and smooth mocha almond fudge, a chocolate lover’s dream! The deep mocha flavor is punctuated by crunchy roasted almonds, a nice contrast to the creamy fudge.
To maximize your fudge eating and minimize your stress, line the pan and prep all the ingredients before you begin to melt the chocolate. For a soft and dense fudge, melt the chocolate slowly over a double boiler (chopped chocolate melts far more easily than chocolate chips, and the only time I’ve ever ruined chocolate is in the microwave, so I opt for the stove method). Utterly simple yet satisfying fudge just made your gift giving a bit easier.
- 1 pound (16 oz/452 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz/397grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp instant espresso, dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150 grams) roasted salted almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) roasted salted almonds, chopped
- Line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Combine chopped chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, and salt in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring frequently, until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in dissolved instant espresso and vanilla; fold in almonds just until combined.
- Pour fudge into prepared pan, tapping pan sharply for a minute to help air bubbles escape. Smooth top with an offset spatula and sprinkle with remaining almonds, pressing gently to adhere. Chill fudge in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to set.
- Lift parchment to remove fudge from pan and place on a cutting board. Run a sharp knife under hot water and wipe dry; trim any ragged edges. Dip and wipe the knife between cuts; cut into 36 squares. Store fudge in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week or wrap well and freeze up to 2 months.
- Calories: 134
- Carbohydrates: 14