dipped chocolate peppermint cookies
I challenge myself to a new peppermint bark inspired creation each December. Last year I went the cupcake route; this year I’m crushing on cookies. Dipped in peppermint-spiked chocolate and decked with crushed peppermint, these soft batch-style cookies are the epitome of chocolate peppermint bliss.
Festive yet fairly simply to make (little ones would love to help dip and sprinkle!), these are sure to be a hit at any holiday fête.
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbsp black (or dark) cocoa
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (170 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 5 (75 grams) peppermint candy canes, crushed
- For the cookies, whisk together flour, cocoas, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beating to combine. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 26 (1-inch) balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Spray the bottom of a drinking glass lightly with nonstick spray, then use the glass to flatten dough until 1/4″ thick, approximately 2 inches in diameter. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 8 minutes, until edges are set. Cool for 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Line two jelly roll pans with parchment paper. Place semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract. Dip one half of each cookie in melted chocolate; place on prepared pans and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Chill cookies in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, until set. Store leftover cookies in a single layer at room temperature up to 2 days.
- Calories: 118