toffee bourbon icebox cookies
Flecked with toffee bits and rimmed with bourbon smoked sugar, these slice and bake cookies are a new school version of the old school ice box cookie. Cream cheese, a splash of bourbon and vanilla lead to irresistibly rich and buttery rounds – this is an ideal recipe for sharing.
To get a jump start on your holiday gifting, make the dough ahead and freeze for later; slice and bake the cookies as needed (like when a neighbor drops by unexpectedly or you receive a last minute cookie exchange invitation!).
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup toffee bits
- 1/3 cup bourbon smoked sugar
- Beat butter and cream cheese in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth; beat in sugar, salt, bourbon, and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour; beat just until incorporated. Stir in toffee bits.
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into a 7-inch log. Place bourbon smoked sugar on a piece of wax paper and roll each log of dough in sugar to coat. Wrap logs firmly in plastic wrap or wax paper and place upright in a tall glass. Chill in the refrigerator for 6 hours, until firm. (When logs are firm, they can be frozen – see note below.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Use a sharp knife to slice logs into generous 1/4-inch slices, rotating the log a quarter of an inch with each slice to keep the log from flattening. Place slices one inch apart on prepared baking sheets; chill baking sheets in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 to 11 minutes, until cookies are firm but not browned. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, reshaping warm cookies with an offset spatula as needed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.
Bourbon smoked sugar is available online; you may also substitute turbinado sugar. If you pre-froze the dough, bake cookies as directed for 11 to 12 minutes.
- Calories: 108