fresh apple cake
Fresh apple cake drizzled with brown sugar glaze!
If the idea of an apple cake that is almost as much apples as it is cake enchants you like it does me, then this is your cake. After all, aren’t apple cakes simply the best? I may never be a layer cake person, but I am most definitely a spiced cake laden with apples person.
Baked in a tube pan, this apple cake comes together easily (bonus: no mixer required!) yet is impressive enough to finish any fall feast. Drizzled with brown sugar glaze, each bite is cozily familiar and something you’ll crave long after the last piece is gone.
- 2 lbs apples, peeled and diced (I used Fuji and Pippin)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 10-inch tube pan with nonstick spray. Toss apples with cinnamon and sugar; set aside. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk together sugars, oil, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until combined (the batter will be thick).
- Spread half the batter into prepared pan; smooth with an offset spatula. Spoon half the apples over the batter; top with remaining batter and finish with remaining apples. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Bake for about 1 1/4 hours (75 minutes), until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Remove from oven to cool completely in pan on a wire rack. When cake is cool, carefully unmold onto a platter.
- For the brown sugar glaze, combine butter, milk, and salt in a small bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk in cinnamon and brown sugar until melted; whisk in powdered sugar. Drizzle glaze over cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers tightly wrapped in the refrigerator up to 2 days; warm before serving.
- Calories: 300
Keywords: Apple, Apple Cake, Cake, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon