Crunchy cookie lovers of the world, raise your hand! If you’re after a nice crunch, biscotti are your answer. Brown butter and Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur) flavor the gloriously golden cookies, transforming ordinary biscotti into something more sophisticated.
Sweet-tart cherries and roasted hazelnuts up the crunch factor, and since I live by “When in doubt, just add chocolate,” I went all in with a chocolate drizzle. Chocolate is always the answer.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Frangelico
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour brown butter in a large mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature. Whisk in sugar and Frangelico; whisk in eggs one at a time until smooth. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until incorporated; fold in cherries and hazelnuts. Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using moistened hands, shape dough into 2 (10-by-4-inch) loaves on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 24 minutes, until pale golden. Transfer loaves to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut loaves into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices cut side down on baking sheet; bake 9 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for 9 minutes more or until golden. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Transfer chocolate to a small piping bag and drizzle over biscotti; let set before serving. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Calories: 140