salted chocolate peanut butter stuffed cookies
My love affair with salt and chocolate began with salted chocolate ganache and jam bars and now there’s no turning back. Though these fudge-like salted chocolate cookies may look unassuming, breaking one open reveals a molten peanut butter and chocolate center.
You may try to resist the allure of the still-warm cookies, but resistance is futile – pour yourself a big glass of milk and dig in to this sophisticated spin on the classic chocolate-peanut butter duo.
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbsp black (or dark) cocoa
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, cut into 18 squares
- Whisk together flour, cocoas, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beating to combine. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and fill a disposable pastry bag with peanut butter. Pipe 18 dollops (about 3/4 tsp each) onto prepared baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about an hour. Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 18 (1 1/2-inch) balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; make an indentation in each ball of dough with your thumb.
- Use an offset spatula to place a dollop of peanut butter in each dough ball; top with chocolate square. Fold dough around filling to encase it completely, then place filled balls on baking sheets and flatten slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 minutes, until edges are set. Cool for 4 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Calories: 145