If your love for coconut runs deep, this coconut zucchini bread is for you. Toasted coconut, coconut milk, and coconut oil give this quick bread a triple hit of coconut, and in my mind, that’s a very good thing.
The bread bakes up soft and springy, just like any great zucchini bread. Brown sugar adds notes of caramel that I find irresistible with all that coconut goodness. Whatever you do, don’t skip the crumb topping – I’ve been chasing after every last crumb, and you will too.
Coconut Zucchini Bread
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 Tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Pulse toasted coconut in a food processor until finely ground. Whisk together ground coconut, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine coconut milk, egg, coconut oil, coconut extract and zucchini in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula.
- For the crumb topping, combine coconut, brown sugar, and flour in a small bowl. Add coconut oil and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter and bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 55 minutes. If bread is browning too quickly, cover with foil. Bread is done when golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; remove bread from pan and cool completely before slicing and serving.