blackberry lime thumbprint cookies
Thumbprint cookies always remind me of jewels; I love the way the jam glistens in the center of each cookie. Though thumbprints often turn up at the holidays, there’s no reason not to break tradition and I’m doing just that with this blackberry lime variation.
These summer darlings practically melt in your mouth thanks to the tangy cream cheese dough infused with lime zest. A quick stovetop blackberry jam serves as the filling; sweet but not too sweet, it tastes of blissful summer days. Top each cookie with a fresh blackberry and sprinkle of lime-sugar for a sparkling finish.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup blackberries
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- pinch of salt
- Place sugar and lime zest in a food processor and pulse for one minute (set aside 1 tablespoon of lime sugar to top cookies). Beat butter and cream cheese in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth; add lime-sugar and beat until creamy. Beat in egg yolk and lime juice until combined. Whisk together flour and salt in a medium bowl; gradually add to mixer on low speed, beating just until incorporated. Cover and chill dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour, or up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the blackberry filling. Place blackberries in a saucepan and mash until crushed. Add sugar, lime juice, and salt; bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until reduced and thickened. Remove from heat and place in a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 22 (1 1/4-inch) balls of dough and place two inches apart on baking sheets; make an indentation in each. Chill shaped thumbprints and cooled filling in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F and fill each thumbprint with about a 1/2 teaspoon of jam. Chill filled cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes, then bake for 11 to 12 minutes, until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, top cookies with a fresh blackberry and sprinkle with reserved lime sugar.
Filling can be made ahead and kept overnight in the refrigerator. Inspired by Two Red Bowls.
- Calories: 95