Sweet strawberries dipped in brown sugar were a favorite childhood snack of mine. I’ve translated the duo to cookie form, creating an effortless treat that happens to be pretty enough for a spring party.
The Soft Batch-style brown sugar cookies make an incredibly tender pillow for the rich and tangy cream cheese frosting. Finished with a plump berry, each bite is sweetly satisfying.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp dark honey (or molasses)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp low-fat milk
- Strawberries for topping
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, vanilla, and honey, beating to combine. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2″ balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 8 minutes, until edges are set. Immediately make a well in the center of each cookie with the back of a spoon. Cool for 4 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until combined; beat in salt and vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down bowl as needed. Add milk; beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Pipe or spoon frosting in the center of each cookie, top with a strawberry, and serve immediately. Cookies and frosting can be made ahead; assemble just before serving.
Inspired by The Vanilla Bean Blog
- Calories: 185
- Carbohydrates: 26