If you’re searching for a fresh spin on banana bread, allow me to point you toward these lovely banana muffins. With just enough substance for a satisfying breakfast, these bake up light and fluffy, filled with flavor.
Honey and a touch of toasted coconut add just enough sweetness to complement the banana beautifully. Don’t skip the quick coconut and brown sugar crumb topping; it adds a scrumptious finish.
Banana & Toasted Coconut Muffins
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 2 Tbsp ground toasted coconut (reserved from above)
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; spray baking cups lightly with cooking spray. Pulse toasted coconut in a food processor until finely ground; reserve 2 tablespoons for crumb topping. Whisk together remaining ground coconut, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, egg, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and banana in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- For the crumb topping, combine ground coconut, brown sugar, and flour in a small bowl. Add coconut oil and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter and sprinkle topping evenly over muffins. Bake for about 15 minutes, until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve or cool completely.
- Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days, or individually wrap muffins in plastic wrap and freeze in a large freezer bag.