I whipped up these Meyer lemon and poppy seed doughnuts on Saturday afternoon for no real reason at all. Fortunately, no special occasion is needed for doughnuts, and sometimes it’s nice to bake simply for the joy of it.
These baked doughnuts are bursting with flavor from bright Meyer lemon zest and juice; poppy seeds add an appealing crunch. The combination of yeast and baking powder leads to incredibly light and airy doughnuts with a great rise. Here’s to guilt-free delights!
- 2 tsp Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 2 Tbsp very warm water (120-130°F)
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a standard doughnut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together yeast and warm water in a small bowl; set aside. Place Meyer lemon zest and sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Whisk together lemon-sugar, cake flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, butter, and yeast mixture in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and fill each doughnut cup 2/3 full. Bake 6 to 7 minutes, until the tops spring back when touched. Turn doughnuts out on a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying pan with nonstick spray in between batches.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest, and juice in a small bowl. Set rack with doughnuts over a piece of wax paper. Dip doughnut tops into glaze and let set on rack. Doughnuts taste best the first day; if desired, store unglazed overnight in an airtight container at room temperature and glaze before serving.
To make your own cake flour: Place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrates: 40