- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces almond paste, cubed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
Blood Orange Syrup
- 3 Tbsp fresh blood orange juice
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp blood orange zest
- 2 Tbsp blood orange juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place sugar and blood orange zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat butter, almond paste, and blood orange-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg, Amaretto, and almond extract. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
- While cake is baking, prepare blood orange syrup. Combine blood orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens, about 4 minutes. Remove blood orange syrup from the heat.
- Remove cake from oven and transfer to a wire rack; use a pastry brush to brush top of cake evenly with blood orange syrup. Let stand for 15 minutes, then carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, blood orange zest, juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Almond, Almond Paste, Blood Orange, Pound Cake