I love the look of roll-out cookies, but I often find them lacking in the taste department. These frosted maple leaf cookies are no such cookie – nutty brown butter and maple syrup add incredible depth of flavor.
To take the deliciousness one step further, I whipped up a batch of my current obsession, maple brown butter frosting. Frost cookies, top with sprinkles (an easy cover for any imperfections!), and enjoy.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
Maple Brown Butter Frosting
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solid, about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from freezer to soften slightly.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and maple syrup until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (or up to 2 days).
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured board and use a 3-inch maple leaf cutter to cut out cookies; place 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Bake for 13 minutes, until edges are firm and lightly golden. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough, re-rolling scraps as needed.
- To make frosting, cook 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat to cool to room temperature.
- Beat butter, cooled brown butter, cream cheese, and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down bowl as needed. Add maple syrup; beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Use an offset spatula to frost cookies; serve immediately. Store leftover cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator; serve at room temperature.
- Calories: 125
- Carbohydrates: 17