fresh apple cake with caramel glaze
A simple and delicious fresh apple cake with caramel glaze!
Does anyone else struggle with simple? I’m a perfectionist by nature and tend to overcomplicate everything, so in an effort to be more present, I’m embracing simple. Let’s start with this fresh apple cake – two bowls, no mixer required. While the cake bakes, there’s plenty of time to make a fast salted caramel glaze.
Simple may not always be show-stopping, but the prettiest desserts aren’t always the most memorable. Filled with tender shreds of apple and warming apple pie spice, this effortless cake is completely satisfying.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and grated apple*
- 4 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper. Combine applesauce, oil, egg, buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl; add to applesauce mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in grated apples.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 25 to 26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached and cake springs back to the touch. Remove from oven to cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For the caramel glaze, combine brown sugar, butter, and cream in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter has melted completely. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and sea salt until smooth; let cool 5 minutes. Whisk in powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Spread glaze over cooled cake; let set before cutting into squares. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days; serve warm.
Apples: I used a mix of Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples to give the cake dimension; use whatever mix of sweet and tart apples you like.
Keywords: Apple, Apple Cake, Applesauce, Cinnamon, Caramel