blueberry-lemon loaf cakes
One of the best ways to begin the day is making a trip to the local blueberry farm. Berry picking in the cool morning breezes feels effortless, and in about 30 minutes, I’ve gathered pounds of blueberries to bake with! These pillowy blueberry-lemon loaf cakes are an optimal way to highlight juicy blueberries, and brushing the warm cakes with lemon syrup keeps them moist. Whether you serve warm or at room temperature, the cakes are irresistible.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 4 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; reserve one tablespoon flour mixture to toss with blueberries.
- Beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs, one at a time. Combine buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture). Toss blueberries with reserved flour mixture and fold into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between loaf pans and smooth with an offset spatula. Place pans on preheated baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While cakes are baking, make the lemon syrup. Combine lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens, about 4 minutes. Remove cakes from oven and brush tops of cakes with lemon syrup. Let stand for 15 minutes, then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Calories: 120
- Carbohydrates: 19