Double chocolate mint cookies are just the treat for your holiday cookie platter! These incredibly rich and fudgy cookies remind me of brownies, and I think we can all agree that brownies disguised as cookies are just what we need at this point in December.
Studded with mint chocolate chips, dipped in semisweet chocolate and showered with nonpareil sprinkles, these cookies are the perfect blend of rich chocolate and winter mint!
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup mint chocolate baking chips
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- For the cookies, whisk together flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract, beating to combine. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in mint chocolate baking chips. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for about 12 minutes, until tops and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Line two jelly roll pans with parchment paper. Place semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Dip one half of each cookie in melted chocolate; place on prepared pans and sprinkle with nonpareils. Chill cookies in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, until set. Store leftover cookies in a single layer at room temperature up to 2 days.