There’s nothing quite so satisfying as bright and buttery lime shortbread cookies filled with a creamy white chocolate-lime ganache. Infused with lime zest and sprinkled with sugar, the all-butter shortbread cookies are melt-in-your-mouth citrus bliss.
Add a layer of balanced sweet and tangy filling and you have shortbread’s perfect match. The sandwich cookie has never looked more summery or scrumptious!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add lime zest and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Scrape dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Roll out dough to just shy of 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have a total of 32 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar, and chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 15 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. For the filling, place white chocolate and salt in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and heavy cream until smooth; add lime zest and juice, and stir until combined.
- To assemble, use an offset spatula to spread filling on the underside of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.