Meringues always remind me of magic; I love the light and ethereal texture of the cloud-like cookies and the way that the crisp exterior crackles with each bite. These meringues are chocolate with a kick – cinnamon and a pinch of chipotle chili powder add a nice backdrop to the rich cocoa flavor.
Drizzling melted chocolate over the meringue creates lovely chocolate swirls. There’s no need to fuss with a piping bag either, simply use two spoons to dollop the mixture onto a baking sheet. Each cookie will have its own unique and artistic shape (which I might add is far preferable to the uniform plastic tub variety!).
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of chipotle chili powder
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 200°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sift powdered sugar and cocoa into a small bowl; whisk in cornstarch, cinnamon, and chipotle chili powder. Beat egg whites in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until frothy; add cream of tartar and continue beating until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until whites hold soft peaks. Continue beating while gradually adding powdered sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time, until mixture is firm and glossy.
- Drizzle cooled chocolate on top of meringue (do not mix in). Using two spoons, gently spoon batter onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chocolate and meringue. Bake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until meringues are dry and firm to the touch. Turn the oven off and let meringues cool in the oven for 1 hour then cool completely on a wire rack (meringues should peel away from the parchment easily). Serve immediately, or store up to 1 week in an airtight container between layers of parchment.