orange-pecan tea bread

January 10, 2014

in Breads & Quick Breads

If I let myself spend winter afternoons however I wished, you’d find me curled up on a leather sofa pouring over a stack of cookbooks and magazines. A steaming mug of Earl Grey and a slice of orange-pecan tea bread fit in my vision nicely.

Orange-Pecan Tea Bread | Tutti Dolci

This bright and inviting loaf boasts a triple hit of citrus (orange zest, Mandarin oil, and a fresh orange glaze); toasted pecans add a nutty crunch. One last perk: this is a two-bowl recipe, no mixer required.

Orange-Pecan Tea Bread | Tutti Dolci

Orange-Pecan Tea Bread
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tbsp Mandarin Oil (or any fruity olive oil)
3 Tbsp apricot preserves
1 Tbsp orange zest
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Glaze
6 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp orange zest
1 Tbsp orange juice

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, eggs, mandarin oil, apricot preserves, and orange zest in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula.

Bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 44 to 45 minutes. If bread is browning too quickly, cover with foil. Bread is done when golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove bread from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice in a small bowl. Set rack with bread over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze; let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Yield – 12 servings
Calories – 190 (per slice)

Adapted from Cooking Light

1 Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet January 10, 2014

I would love a slice of this loaf! Gorgeous!

2 Liren January 10, 2014

Just lovely, Laura. Especially the two bowl part! I’ve been drowning in dishes lately, so it just cracks me up to think that is the most appealing part of the recipe. In all seriousness, though, I wish I had a slice with my afternoon tea today!

3 Deb January 10, 2014

As an forever citrus lover I must now find Mandarin Oil! If only to make this splendid Tea Bread! One of my goals for the new year is to spend more time reading, and yes cookbooks are included!

4 Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) January 10, 2014

This bread looks like the best bread ever. I love the flavor combination for sure. I want to try making more breads this year.

5 Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes January 10, 2014

Hmm I’m intrigued by the mandarin oil and wondering where to find it? This bread sounds amazing!

6 Tutti Dolci January 12, 2014

Hi Lily, I used this mandarin oil. Any citrusy oil would work well!

7 Valerie January 10, 2014

Your vision of a wintery afternoon sounds perfect! (This bread fits like a glove.) :)

8 Lizzy (Good Things) January 10, 2014

Gorgeous, as always, Laura. Did you make the mandarin oil?

9 The Café Sucre Farine January 10, 2014

And I love to be right there with you Laura, sipping tea, nibbling on this delicious bread and paging through the magazines and books – and talking about the recipes with you!

10 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 10, 2014

Just lovely, Laura! And, your ideal winter afternoons sound charming. I’m right there with you and Chris (above) about reading cookbooks and magazines…pondering everything we want to make. :) Isn’t it amazing the punch citrus oils add to baking? I’m thinking of adding some to my grain free baking for some kick, too, after getting addicted to these really sweet Lemon Sesame Crackers so I can make my own. Gorgeous photography as always, my friend! Have a wonderful weekend!

11 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 10, 2014

Ooh, I am going to have to get me some of this mandarin oil! This bread looks perfect for a weekend brunch.

12 Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough January 10, 2014

Oooh, I like your vision of winter afternoons. Especially accompanied by this bread. I want to make that a regular thing!

13 ashley - baker by nature January 10, 2014

You make tea bread look so unbelievably beautiful!!!

14 Suzanne January 10, 2014

Fantastic looking bread and a perfect way to spend sometime in the winter eating a piece of this lovely bread.

15 Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers January 10, 2014

Beautiful! This bread is calling my name. I can’t seem to get enough citrus these days! Must find some mandarin oil, too.

16 Tieghan January 10, 2014

Your vision of winter afternoons is perfect!! I will be right there with you and a giant slice of bread too, please! :)

17 tanja@tanjascookingcorner January 11, 2014

A gorgeous looking bread, Laura. I would so love to haev one slice with my mint tea right now!!!

18 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 11, 2014

Certainly looks like cake to me. :) It has icing. I love citrus and this would be lovely for breakfast.

19 Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks January 11, 2014

Gorgeous, Laura. Cookbooks, tea, and this bread sound like the perfect afternoon to me too.

20 Gintare @Gourmantine January 11, 2014

My version of a perfect winter afternoon isn’t that far either. Gorgeous cake!

21 Julia@Vikalinka January 11, 2014

Yum! Your vision fits with mine. :-)

22 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 11, 2014

This would be the perfect accompaniment to a cold day-or even a warm one! :D

23 Liz January 11, 2014

Everything you make is so gorgeous…with a taste to match! Love this tea bread, Laura!

24 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 11, 2014

Gorgeous loaf of bread. This would be perfect for a lazy morning with a cup of tea!

25 Gina January 12, 2014

Hi Laura,
I can’t get enough citrus now that it’s winter. I love your vision, expect I don’t think I’d bother with the chair, just stay in bed. Mandarin oil, never seen that will have to be on the lookout.
-Gina-

26 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 12, 2014

You have no idea how badly I had this for breakfast this morning!

27 Rosa January 12, 2014

Tempting! That combination is heavenly. I’d love to eat a slice of your cake while I’m sipping on my Earl Grey tea…

Cheers,

Rosa

28 Cindy January 12, 2014

Where do I find mandarin oil?

29 Tutti Dolci January 12, 2014

Hi Cindy, I used this mandarin oil.

30 suzanne Perazzini January 12, 2014

I have never seen mandarin oil but it sounds rather exotic. The loaf looks like it has a great combination of flavours.

31 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today January 13, 2014

I love pecans in breads and cakes. Recipe to try out soon :)

32 Maria@PinkPatisserie January 13, 2014

What a lovely loaf! I so wish I could spend some time curled up with a piece and a big mug of steaming tea too! I’m so intrigued by mandarin oil! I must find that!!

33 Emilie@TheCleverCarrot January 13, 2014

Um, and if I let myself spend winter afternoons however I wanted, I would be sitting in your kitchen eating this yummy tea loaf (and everything else you make!) The inside crumb looks amazing… xx

34 Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily January 13, 2014

This makes me want to invite some friends over for afternoon tea. So lovely! I’ll have to check for mandarin oil the next time I’m at my favorite little oil & vinegar shop.

35 Patty January 13, 2014

Beautiful loaf of tea bread-love all your flavors and the idea of relaxing with a cup of tea on a Winter’s afternoon ;)
Happy New Year Laura!

36 Kate@Diethood January 14, 2014

Beautiful loaf! All that citrus is making me want to jump through the screen. Aaaaand curl up on the sofa together with this beauty! :)

37 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} January 14, 2014

Love how you would want to spend a winter afternoon. I bet your house smelled amazing with this divine bread!

38 Nancy/SpicieFoodie January 14, 2014

Laura, what a beautiful description of your ideal winter afternoon. Your tea bread sounds and looks like such an amazing treat. Thanks for sharing!:)

39 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 14, 2014

So pretty & so you! This is just a signature Laura recipe! Pinned

40 Erin @ Texanerin Baking January 15, 2014

Ooh, what a fancy loaf! I love it. I see a lot of people putting tea into stuff but I’ve just never tried it. I’ll have to give it a try at some point! Love that drippy glaze. :)

41 Karen (Back Road Journal) January 16, 2014

I’m having a cup of Earl Grey right now and wish I had a slice of you tea bread to go with it. Your photos are so good, it looks like I could pick up a slice.

42 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 17, 2014

If we’re next door neighbor, I’d be hiding from my kids and spending afternoon in your home doing the same! :D Earl Grey with these slices of bread sounds like a perfect getaway! Ugh back to reality. Time to pick up two little monsters. :) Have a lovely weekend. I wonder what you’d be baking!

43 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) January 19, 2014

You and I have the same idea about the perfect afternoon. Love this bread!

44 The Hungry Mum January 19, 2014

LOVE loaf cakes! This looks delish- so moist & full of flavour.