mixed berry banana bread

This mixed berry banana bread is the answer to my overflowing freezer – I’ve been storing overripe bananas and bags of surplus berries, so I combined the two, hoping for a tasty result. If your freezer is in a similar state, why not make the most of those buried treasures and treat yourself to this loaf?

Mixed Berry Banana Bread | Tutti Dolci

Bursting with berries and a nice sugary crust, this is the banana bread I want to begin my week with. Ripe bananas plus vanilla yogurt keep the bread moist, and I love that it’s not oily or cloyingly sweet. I used a blend of frozen berries in the bread (though I recommend topping it with fresh). Best of all, leftover slices toast well and are scrumptious with butter or Mascarpone!

Mixed Berry Banana Bread | Tutti Dolci

Mixed Berry Banana Bread
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup plain fat-free vanilla yogurt
1/4 low-fat milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup mixed berries (if using frozen berries, don’t defrost first)
1/2 Tbsp flour

1/4 cup raspberries
1/2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flours, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.

Combine banana, yogurt, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Toss berries with flour and gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan; top with raspberries and turbinado sugar.

Bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 60 to 75 minutes (baking time will vary based on moisture content of bananas and berries). If bread is browning too quickly, cover with foil. Bread is done when golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.

Remove from oven and cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and cool completely before slicing and serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days; serve warm.

Yield – 14 servings
Calories – 165 (per slice)

Yum! I’ve had chocolate chip banana bread, but never a berry banana bread. Will definitely have to try this — love that it was inspired by ingredients you already had on hand. And with mascarpone? Sign me up!

This sounds awesome! A great way to get rid of berries. :) Normally I like to eat my berries plain and really savor them but when they’re on sale and I go crazy buying the entire stock… I need stuff like this!

Love that you are using up leftover bananas! It seems to be an ongoing issue at my house. Paired with berries and without being too oily sounds like a perfect reason to use up those extra bananas!

4. Cristina says

A beautiful bread, all those pretty raspberries peeking through the top! My freezer does runnith over with frozen berries and way too many bananas! This is a must make for weekend’s breakfast!!

I always have a hodge podge of fresh fruit that I freeze, TJs bags of frozen fruit, ripe bananas, etc…this is perfect. Pinned.

And love that your berries stayed at the surface. Even when I flour mine, they tend to sink!

6. Patty says

Can you tell me how you freeze those over ripe bananas to use in a recipe like this? I’ve read several ways but wondered how you do it since you used frozen bananas in this recipe. Thanks and I’m pinning this great looking bread!

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Patty, I freeze a few peeled bananas together in a quart or freezer bag, depending on how many I have at the moment! Then I defrost them, drain off excess liquid, and mash for the bread. Hope that helps! :)

7. Patty says

Thanks that helps! The other day I walked into our grocery store and they had marked down about 15 bunches of overripe bananas and I just drooled but had no time to bake so I wondered what was the way to take advantage of that deal. Next time I’ll be ready to buy & freeze!!!

Love the idea of adding mixed berries to delicious banana bread. I still have blueberries left from my trip to Michigan too! Yum, Hugs, Terra