honey-almond granola

Years before I started blogging, I read a handful of food blogs. Smitten Kitchen was one of my first blog discoveries, and I looked forward to Deb’s new posts, enjoying the anecdotes she shared about cooking in a tiny NYC apartment kitchen. I still read SK and was thrilled when her first cookbook was released last fall. The big cluster maple granola caught my eye instantly for two reasons: 1. I eat granola daily, and 2. I fight for the clusters.

Honey-Almond Granola | Tutti Dolci

When I found myself snacking on the clusters nonstop, I knew it was worth sharing here. I prefer this granola to store-bought because it’s not greasy or oily (an egg white helps “glue” the clusters together, eliminating the need for copious amounts of oil or butter) and it’s not cloyingly sweet.

Honey-Almond Granola | Tutti Dolci

Calling this a “recipe” is a stretch; it’s more of a method that can be completely customized (swap the almonds for your favorite nut, play around with spices, etc). If you like dried fruit, mix in about a cup to the cooled granola. Whether you eat this granola for breakfast or by the handful as a midnight snack, I think you’ll find it completely addictive!

Honey-Almond Granola | Tutti Dolci

Honey-Almond Granola
Adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp honey
1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 290°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine oats, almonds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add olive oil, honey, and vanilla; toss to coat. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until frothy (about 1 minute); add to oat mixture and toss to coat.

Use an offset spatula to spread mixture into an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then use a large spatula to flip sections of granola. Press back into an even layer, rotate pan, and bake another 15 minutes. When granola is golden and feels dry to the touch, turn off oven and leave pan in oven for another 10 minutes to continue drying. Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely (the granola crisps as it cools).

When completely cool, break into clusters (if you want to add dried fruit, stir in now). Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.

Yield – 7 cups
Calories – 230 (per 2/3 cup serving)

This looks so delicious and I absolutely love that it doesn’t have much oil. I’ve stayed away from granola for a long time because I felt that it was always too oily. This I will definitely give a try!

Smitten Kitchen was one of my first blog crushes too! :)
    This granola looks simple and perfect for a sudden onset of summer afternoon munchies!

Laura…I just love adding granola to my yogurt, which I eat every day! I’ve yet to try and make my own granola. But this looks like a good place to start! Love that this is not overly sweet, too! Beautiful photos! : )

The last granola my daughter and I made (from a favorite author, with many cookbooks!) was very greasy and heavy. We ended up throwing in out and it was filled with lots of nuts and dried fruit. I adore Smitten Kitchen and look forward to trying the granola recipe on your recommendation! After all one can’t ever have enough “clusters” of goodness to start the day!

Your blog is like my Smitten Kitchen as I learn so much about baking from you. :) I have rolled oats package that I haven’t opened in my own home… I’ll try this easy recipe when I get back. Love the simple ingredients recipe that looks delicious!

SK was the very first blog I started reading!

This granola looks so, so good! I’m a granola fiend. If I made this, I would have to eat the entire batch. I never want to share. There’s never enough to share!

Love this granola recipe, Laura! How great is it that an egg white is used to lessen the amount of oil? Love it! And, I love the clusters too. Funny…a few food blogger cookbooks are in my Amazon cart including SK! Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend! xo

Hey, this is totally a recipe! Just saying. If this isn’t a recipe, then half of my “recipes” aren’t recipes. 😉

And SK was my first first blog, too. Took me years to realize it wasn’t Smitten *Kitten.* When someone mentioned Smitten Kitchen, I was like, “Huh? What is she talking about…?” My husband and I still refer to it as Kitten. It just falls off the tongue easier. :)

And the granola looks great! Love those clusters.

I already have a granola recipe that I love, but I think I might need to add this one to my collection. It looks wonderful, and the clusters are the best part! Isn’t homemade granola the best?