honey-almond granola

July 11, 2013

in Breakfast & Muffins

Years before I started blogging, I read a handful of food blogs. Smitten Kitchen was one of my first blog discoveries, and I looked forward to Deb’s new posts, enjoying the anecdotes she shared about cooking in a tiny NYC apartment kitchen. I still read SK and was thrilled when her first cookbook was released last fall. The big cluster maple granola caught my eye instantly for two reasons: 1. I eat granola daily, and 2. I fight for the clusters.

Honey-Almond Granola | Tutti Dolci

When I found myself snacking on the clusters nonstop, I knew it was worth sharing here. I prefer this granola to store-bought because it’s not greasy or oily (an egg white helps “glue” the clusters together, eliminating the need for copious amounts of oil or butter) and it’s not cloyingly sweet.

Honey-Almond Granola | Tutti Dolci

Calling this a “recipe” is a stretch; it’s more of a method that can be completely customized (swap the almonds for your favorite nut, play around with spices, etc). If you like dried fruit, mix in about a cup to the cooled granola. Whether you eat this granola for breakfast or by the handful as a midnight snack, I think you’ll find it completely addictive!

Honey-Almond Granola | Tutti Dolci

Honey-Almond Granola
Adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp honey
1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 290°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine oats, almonds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add olive oil, honey, and vanilla; toss to coat. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until frothy (about 1 minute); add to oat mixture and toss to coat.

Use an offset spatula to spread mixture into an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then use a large spatula to flip sections of granola. Press back into an even layer, rotate pan, and bake another 15 minutes. When granola is golden and feels dry to the touch, turn off oven and leave pan in oven for another 10 minutes to continue drying. Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely (the granola crisps as it cools).

When completely cool, break into clusters (if you want to add dried fruit, stir in now). Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.

Yield – 7 cups
Calories – 230 (per 2/3 cup serving)

1 ashley - baker by nature July 11, 2013

I love my smitten kitchen cookbook like it’s family! And this granola is one of our all time favorites!!!

2 dixya| food, pleasure, and health July 11, 2013

Debs website is always a pleasure and i love clusters too. I have never made granola before but you totally inspired me :)

3 marissa @ the boot July 11, 2013

her cookbook is so legit. :) i love granola with a passion and will totally be trying this!

4 Christiane - Taking On Magazines July 11, 2013

I’ve visited Smitten Kitchen a few times but haven’t seen the cookbook. I think your version of the granola looks absolutely fantastic.

5 The Café Sucre Farine July 11, 2013

Sounds like a perfect combination of texture, flavor and nutrition, YUM!

6 Maria@PinkPatisserie July 11, 2013

This looks so delicious and I absolutely love that it doesn’t have much oil. I’ve stayed away from granola for a long time because I felt that it was always too oily. This I will definitely give a try!

7 Ash- foodfashionparty July 11, 2013

It is addictive. Looks delicious, this atop greek yoghurt, PERFECT.

8 Liz July 11, 2013

Oh, I could live off this granola! I have Deb’s cookbook, too…probably time to crack it open :)

9 Valerie July 11, 2013

Smitten Kitchen was one of my first blog crushes too! :)
This granola looks simple and perfect for a sudden onset of summer afternoon munchies!

10 Anne@FromMySweetHeart July 11, 2013

Laura…I just love adding granola to my yogurt, which I eat every day! I’ve yet to try and make my own granola. But this looks like a good place to start! Love that this is not overly sweet, too! Beautiful photos! : )

11 Claire @ Claire K Creations July 11, 2013

I love ‘recipes’ like this where you can mix it up and really make it your own. Yum!

12 Deb July 11, 2013

The last granola my daughter and I made (from a favorite author, with many cookbooks!) was very greasy and heavy. We ended up throwing in out and it was filled with lots of nuts and dried fruit. I adore Smitten Kitchen and look forward to trying the granola recipe on your recommendation! After all one can’t ever have enough “clusters” of goodness to start the day!

13 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 11, 2013

I always pick out the big clusters too! I make granola with big clusters on purpose too :)

14 Cassie | Bake Your Day July 11, 2013

I love Deb’s recipes, too. And I love this granola! I made some on Tuesday night and I can’t stop eating it. I love it!

15 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic July 11, 2013

Egg whites in granola is a great idea! I love playing around with different granola flavors. Ever since I learned how to make my own, I rarely ever buy the ready-made stuff!

16 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 11, 2013

Your blog is like my Smitten Kitchen as I learn so much about baking from you. :) I have rolled oats package that I haven’t opened in my own home… I’ll try this easy recipe when I get back. Love the simple ingredients recipe that looks delicious!

17 Sarah July 11, 2013

I love deb’s work too! And her granola idea (the Egg white!) is brilliant, love this adaptation!

18 Anna @ Hidden Ponies July 11, 2013

I fight for the clusters too, thanks for the reminder that I need to make some granola :) Smitten Kitchen was one of the first food blogs I ever read too – she’s a legend!

19 Patty July 11, 2013

I would be fighting for these clusters too! Love the berries on top ;)

20 Rosa July 11, 2013

Divine. I could eat granola by the kilo. This one sounds and looks really tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

21 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 12, 2013

Deb’s granola recipe was the first I ever tried too. You make it look beautiful!

22 Jen @ Savory Simple July 12, 2013

This looks great! I really need to pick up that book.

23 Kate@Diethood July 12, 2013

SK was the very first blog I started reading!

This granola looks so, so good! I’m a granola fiend. If I made this, I would have to eat the entire batch. I never want to share. There’s never enough to share!

24 Sandra | Sandra's Easy Cooking July 12, 2013

This looks so delicious and perfect for light snack in the afternoon or even healthy hearty breakfast. Fab pictures, too Laura! Have a happy Friday dear!

25 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking July 12, 2013

I love how basic the ingredients are in this gorgeous granola, Laura! I would sprinkle it over desserts and yogurt and cereal – everything! Thanks for sharing.

26 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen July 12, 2013

Love this granola recipe, Laura! How great is it that an egg white is used to lessen the amount of oil? Love it! And, I love the clusters too. Funny…a few food blogger cookbooks are in my Amazon cart including SK! Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend! xo

27 Monica July 12, 2013

I really want to try this! Yours came out beautifully.

28 Vicki Bensinger July 12, 2013

I’m always looking for a new granola recipe to try. I’ve never seen one with an egg white in it. I’ll have to give it a try. Your photo looks great!

29 marla July 13, 2013

Ha! I love the clusters too…lovely granola recipe :)

30 JJ - 84thand3rd July 13, 2013

Ohh I love the clusters best too – could go a handful of this as a late night snack right now! SK was one of the only blogs I read long before starting my own :)

31 Erin @ Texanerin Baking July 13, 2013

Hey, this is totally a recipe! Just saying. If this isn’t a recipe, then half of my “recipes” aren’t recipes. ;)

And SK was my first first blog, too. Took me years to realize it wasn’t Smitten *Kitten.* When someone mentioned Smitten Kitchen, I was like, “Huh? What is she talking about…?” My husband and I still refer to it as Kitten. It just falls off the tongue easier. :)

And the granola looks great! Love those clusters.

32 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} July 13, 2013

I love a tasty granola! I keep saying to myself that i need to make it from scratch – you have inspired me. Pinning now! Looks divine!

33 Suzanne July 13, 2013

I too love granola and the cluster are my favorite part too! Great recipe and beautiful photos :)

34 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 13, 2013

Totally love Deb’s blog and granola!! This is so healthy, Laura. Thanks for sharing the tip on using egg whites! Adds more protein, which is good for you :)

35 Liren July 14, 2013

The clusters are the best part, for sure! And I’ve never tried using egg white as a binder, brilliant!

36 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 14, 2013

Ive seen this in her book, too, and am drawn to those big chunks, too! Your granola would be a big hit around here!

37 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 14, 2013

I totally fight for the granola clusters too!

38 Jennifer @ Delicieux July 15, 2013

I like to pick out the clusters too, and munch on them while I’m working. And I’ll have to try the egg white trick next time I make granola – such a brilliant idea!

39 Jennie @themessybakerblog July 15, 2013

This granola is gorgeous. I love all of those fat, chunky clusters. Yum! Those spoons are so cute.

40 Liz | Gimme Some Style July 15, 2013

YUM. The clusters are my favorite part too! I like this recipe because it isn’t nut overloaded! I’m not the biggest nut fan but this sounds great!

41 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts July 15, 2013

The clusters are the best part! Gorgeous granola!

42 Carol | a cup of mascarpone July 16, 2013

I love granola…and of course, the clusters! This sounds, and looks wonderful, Laura!

43 Kristine July 16, 2013

I already have a granola recipe that I love, but I think I might need to add this one to my collection. It looks wonderful, and the clusters are the best part! Isn’t homemade granola the best?

44 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings July 20, 2013

Love Deb’s cookbook. Wonderful interpretation of the recipe. I wish I had a batch of this at home…