bellini sorbet

July 7, 2013

in Frozen Treats

The Bellini reminds me of Venice; of meandering bridges, enchanting canals, and shimmering light. Venice is a walking city and I could happily wander for days with my camera in hand, eventually arriving at Harry’s Bar, the birthplace of the cocktail. If you’re unfamiliar, a Bellini is a mix of peach puree and Prosecco (sparkling wine). I’ve turned the drink into sorbet, the very essence of a summer refresher. Each spoonful tastes of honeyed peaches sparkling with Prosecco – almost magical, just like Venice.

Bellini Sorbet | Tutti Dolci

Venice | Tutti Dolci

Bellini Sorbet
4 cups peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 cup water
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp Meyer lemon juice
1/2 cup Prosecco

Combine peaches, sugar and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally, until peaches have softened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in honey and lemon juice. Let cool for 10 minutes; place peach mixture in food processor and puree until smooth.

Chill for 4 hours in the refrigerator, then stir in Prosecco and pour into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for another 5 hours, until firm.

Yield – 3 cups
Calories – 112 (per 1/2 cup)

1 Ash- foodfashionparty July 7, 2013

Beautiful Venice, so dreamy.
With summer creeping on us, this bellini sorbet is perfect, so fresh and fancy.

2 Sue/the view from great island July 7, 2013

Bellissima! I’m hooked on fruit sorbets and ice creams this summer, I want to get through every one of them.

3 Valerie July 7, 2013

Harry’s Bar – yet another reason I need to visit Venice. :) Love this sorbet, and your gorge photo of the city itself!

4 Susan July 7, 2013

Brava, Laura!

I had this at a restaurant in Santa Barbara and tried to recreate it at home. I wasn’t totally satisfied with the results so am anxious to try yours.

5 Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) July 7, 2013

Oh yeah that looks so delish! I am going to Italy later this year and I can’t wait!

6 Lori Ciaralli July 7, 2013

When does the prosecco go in? Immediately before freezing? Sounds yummy, will try this one.

7 Tutti Dolci July 7, 2013

Hi Lori, thanks for catching that! Stir in the Prosecco to the chilled peach mixture just before freezing.

8 Maria@PinkPatisserie July 7, 2013

This is the essence of summer I think.. Just beautiful. And oh to be in Venice enjoying such a lovely thing.. Sadly when I was there I was too young to enjoy Harry’s. Will have to fix that with a return trip right?

9 Deb July 7, 2013

A glimpse of Venice and a frozen summer treat, what an irresistible post Laura! We all want to travel with you and have you be our guide!

10 Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom July 7, 2013

Ah, I wish I could visit Venice. . seems like such a romantic and beautiful city. . love your Bellini! Looks perfect and delicious!

11 The Café Sucre Farine July 7, 2013

Well though I can’t (sadly) taste them, these bellinis certainly look magical! And I think I’m being transported (perhaps on a magic carpet) to Venice, just from your photo!

12 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} July 7, 2013

Oh my – it is one of my favorite drinks! I have yet to visit Harry’s Bar, but it is on my bucket list. I do love his grilled cheese sandwiches and make them often. Your sorbet looks simply DIVINE!!!!

13 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) July 7, 2013

One of my favorite brunch cocktails – I bet this is fabulous!

14 Sarah July 7, 2013

JEALOUS! I would love to go to Venice. Case in point; the Bellini is my ideal cocktail.

15 Terra July 7, 2013

So hubby and I decided Italy is going to be our first big trip together. Something about Italy intrigues me, the beauty, the romance, and of course the food! I love Bellinis, and love your sorbet recipe! Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

16 Tutti Dolci July 7, 2013

Oh good, I love hearing that! If you start to plan your trip soon, let me know – I’d be happy to pass on recommendations of favorite sights and restaurants! :)

17 Liren July 7, 2013

This is my kind of sorbet, Laura! Bellinis are so delicious, but when I visited Venice, I was too young to visit Harrys Bar, drat. Must return… Meantime, I’ll happily have a few scoops of this :)

18 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 7, 2013

Love this! I’ve never been to Venice but I could sure imagine being there as I devour this!

19 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 8, 2013

My grandparents used to go to Venice often and they loved there. I love your recipes which were inspired from your trip to Italy. It’s SO hot in Japan and miss the bay area weather. I endure the heat and humidity by allowing myself one ice cream a day (bay area can be too cold for swimming and ice cream sometimes… or I should say most of the time…). :)

20 Carol | a cup of mascarpone July 8, 2013

This sounds wonderful, Laura! I adore Prosecco, maybe too much ;), and am now in peach country. I will have to make this soon to enjoy in this hot summer heat! Love your photo of Venice! xox

21 Kate@Diethood July 8, 2013

Bellini as sorbet?!? Lawwwwd, I hear harps playing and angels singing! LOVE THIS! AND VENICE!!

22 Rowena | Apron and Sneakers July 8, 2013

This looks absolutely delicious Laura! I love drinking Bellini!

23 Liz July 8, 2013

We paid a mint to drink bellinis on San Marco’s square in Venice…you’ve brought back lovely memories! Your sorbet looks amazing!!!

24 Jennie @themessybakerblog July 8, 2013

This bellini sorbet looks so refreshing–perfect for a hot summer’s day.

25 Abbe@This is How I Cook July 8, 2013

I love peaches and bellinis. This looks totally refreshing.

26 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 8, 2013

It’s on the cold side of things here but I could close my eyes and imagine I’m in Venice and eat the whole batch of this.

27 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking July 8, 2013

What a gorgeous, summery sorbet and a nice memory that it conjures up for you, Laura! Anything involving the taste of Prosecco, and you’ve got my attention!

28 Priscilla | ShesCookin July 8, 2013

The ultimate refreshment! I made a Nectarine Prosecco sorbet last year :) Love your photo of Venice – still have not visited, but it’s at the top of the list! Have a great week, Laura.

29 Julie @ Table for Two July 8, 2013

This is nothing short of amazing!!

30 Patty July 8, 2013

Such a creative sorbet flavor and now I’m dreaming of a visit to Venice which is a magical place to visit ;-)

31 Rosa July 9, 2013

So refreshing and exquisite! I’d love to visit Venice and the rest of Italy…

Cheers,

Rosa

32 Karen @ lemon grove cake diaries July 9, 2013

Oh my goodness, this sounds like my new favourite sorbet! Yum..

33 Jackie l Food.Wine.Fashion July 9, 2013

Yum! I was just in Venice about one month ago. We tried to go into Harry’s bar twice and it was sooo packed we couldn’t even step into the door :( Oh well, next time!

xo Jackie

34 steph@stephsbitebybite July 9, 2013

This sounds so refreshing and perfect for a hot summer evening

35 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme July 9, 2013

This is such a great idea! I can’t wait to try this the next time we host a dinner party. This is the perfect dessert to serve!

36 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts July 9, 2013

This sounds like such a delicious treat for the summer. We have bellini’s for Christmas every year in my family, but this is just a fun twist!

37 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 9, 2013

Love bellinis and what a great way of turning it into a refreshing sorbet!

38 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen July 9, 2013

Laura, this has got to be the best sorbet recipe, ever! A Bellini in a sorbet? I am so there! It makes me happy to know a trip to Italy and your love of the Bellini inspired you to create this recipe! BRAVO! xo

39 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar July 9, 2013

Yum, love this kind of sorbets, they’re so refreshing and low-fat (compared to a regular ice cream, at least)
Beautiful Venice! ;-)

40 Laura @ Family Spice July 10, 2013

That’s what my sorbet is missing – Prosecco! I think I’ll just keep a bottle next to me while I indulge in this lovely sorbet!

41 Lan | morestomach July 10, 2013

oh the color of this sweetness! it’s both summery and autumn-y at the same time, but i bet the taste is all sunshine of July & August.

42 Laura Dembowski July 10, 2013

Sorbet is one of my favorite summer treats! This sounds so refreshing and tasty! Venice looks very pretty too.

43 Erin @ Texanerin Baking July 10, 2013

I’ve never been to Venice but so want to go! It’s been on the list for a long time.

And this looks delightful. Perfect for summer! I can’t wait for peach season to start. :)

44 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings July 10, 2013

Sorry for the absence. We lost power in Toronto because of flash floods, and we were some of the unlucky ones who didn’t have electricity for 3 days! Power is back up now, so it’s back to blogging “business” for me!

I love Venice, too! It’s a place to throw away your map and just get lost in her maze of narrow streets and alleyways. And of course, Harry’s Bar – a classic! Bellini in Venezia? Bellisimma!