bellini sorbet

The Bellini reminds me of Venice; of meandering bridges, enchanting canals, and shimmering light. Venice is a walking city and I could happily wander for days with my camera in hand, eventually arriving at Harry’s Bar, the birthplace of the cocktail. If you’re unfamiliar, a Bellini is a mix of peach puree and Prosecco (sparkling wine). I’ve turned the drink into sorbet, the very essence of a summer refresher. Each spoonful tastes of honeyed peaches sparkling with Prosecco – almost magical, just like Venice.

Bellini Sorbet | Tutti Dolci

Venice | Tutti Dolci

Bellini Sorbet
4 cups peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 cup water
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp Meyer lemon juice
1/2 cup Prosecco

Combine peaches, sugar and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally, until peaches have softened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in honey and lemon juice. Let cool for 10 minutes; place peach mixture in food processor and puree until smooth.

Chill for 4 hours in the refrigerator, then stir in Prosecco and pour into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for another 5 hours, until firm.

Yield – 3 cups
Calories – 112 (per 1/2 cup)

Brava, Laura!

I had this at a restaurant in Santa Barbara and tried to recreate it at home. I wasn’t totally satisfied with the results so am anxious to try yours.

2. Lori Ciaralli says

When does the prosecco go in? Immediately before freezing? Sounds yummy, will try this one.

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Lori, thanks for catching that! Stir in the Prosecco to the chilled peach mixture just before freezing.

This is the essence of summer I think.. Just beautiful. And oh to be in Venice enjoying such a lovely thing.. Sadly when I was there I was too young to enjoy Harry’s. Will have to fix that with a return trip right?

A glimpse of Venice and a frozen summer treat, what an irresistible post Laura! We all want to travel with you and have you be our guide!

So hubby and I decided Italy is going to be our first big trip together. Something about Italy intrigues me, the beauty, the romance, and of course the food! I love Bellinis, and love your sorbet recipe! Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

• Tutti Dolci says

Oh good, I love hearing that! If you start to plan your trip soon, let me know – I’d be happy to pass on recommendations of favorite sights and restaurants! :)

This is my kind of sorbet, Laura! Bellinis are so delicious, but when I visited Venice, I was too young to visit Harrys Bar, drat. Must return… Meantime, I’ll happily have a few scoops of this :)

My grandparents used to go to Venice often and they loved there. I love your recipes which were inspired from your trip to Italy. It’s SO hot in Japan and miss the bay area weather. I endure the heat and humidity by allowing myself one ice cream a day (bay area can be too cold for swimming and ice cream sometimes… or I should say most of the time…). :)

We paid a mint to drink bellinis on San Marco’s square in Venice…you’ve brought back lovely memories! Your sorbet looks amazing!!!

Laura, this has got to be the best sorbet recipe, ever! A Bellini in a sorbet? I am so there! It makes me happy to know a trip to Italy and your love of the Bellini inspired you to create this recipe! BRAVO! xo

Sorry for the absence. We lost power in Toronto because of flash floods, and we were some of the unlucky ones who didn’t have electricity for 3 days! Power is back up now, so it’s back to blogging “business” for me!

I love Venice, too! It’s a place to throw away your map and just get lost in her maze of narrow streets and alleyways. And of course, Harry’s Bar – a classic! Bellini in Venezia? Bellisimma!