strawberry lemonade bars

June 20, 2013

in Bars & Bites

One of the best parts of summer are the long and lingering days. I’ve been walking (or attempting to run) most evenings after dinner, timing my workouts to coincide with fiery sunsets (confession time: my iPod shuffle is filled with The Black Eyed Peas and Michael Jackson; here’s hoping no one ever judges me based on my workout playlist!). Upon returning home, I cool my feet in the pool and refuel with a slice of watermelon and a strawberry lemonade bar.

Strawberry Lemonade Bars | Tutti Dolci

These bars are the cousin to my Meyer lemon-brown butter bars. Here, the impossibly rich brown butter crust is topped by a strawberry lemonade filling (think sweet summer strawberries kissed with tangy Meyer lemon).

Now it’s your turn to confess: what’s on your workout playlist?

Strawberry Lemonade Bars | Tutti Dolci

Strawberry Lemonade Bars | Tutti Dolci

Strawberry Lemonade Bars
Crust
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Filling
1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
2 large eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest (zest of 2 lemons)
3 Tbsp fresh Meyer lemon juice
3 Tbsp flour
pinch of salt
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass bowl and chill in the freezer until solid, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Dice solidified brown butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add dough to prepared baking dish; use a piece of parchment to press dough into an even layer. Bake for 23 minutes, until crust is lightly golden.

Meanwhile, prepare filling. Place strawberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until strawberries are broken down into a sauce. Remove from heat; strain sauce through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids (yield should be 1/4 to 1/3 cup). Cool slightly.

Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cooled strawberry sauce, flour, and salt until smooth. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and slowly pour filling over hot crust; return dish to oven and bake until filling is firm, about 25 minutes. Cool completely in dish on wire rack, then cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled.

Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from dish and place on a cutting board; cut into squares using a sharp knife and dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 12 bars
Calories – 178 (per bar)

1 adri June 20, 2013

Those are beautiful. I love lemon bars, and these are a cut above. Brava!

2 Valerie June 20, 2013

These are beautiful bars – what a pretty shade of peachy-pink!
My workout playlist, which, btw, isn’t used very often, is a smorgasbord of artists including Bob Marley, Bon Jovi, Gorillaz, and maybe Katy Perry. Maybe.

3 kristy @ the wicked noodle June 20, 2013

My parents have a ton of strawberries growing everywhere around their new house. I can’t wait to give my mom this recipe, she’ll love it!

4 Sue/the view from great island June 20, 2013

These are so elegant looking, they remind me of the blood orange bars that I’ve been meaning to make for ages. The color is stunning, I have to make these.

5 cassie June 20, 2013

I am all about the strawberry lemonade lately. These are gorgeous, Laura, perfect for summer!

6 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 20, 2013

You’re totally going to judge me but there’s a Justin Bieber song on my playlist. So shameful but it really does get me pumped up!

And dude, these bars – I need them in my life, stat!

7 Suzanne June 20, 2013

These bars look delicious Laura, I couldn’t stop at one after returning from a workout :P

8 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) June 20, 2013

That sounds like a pretty ideal end-of-day routine Laura!

9 Kate@Diethood June 20, 2013

Girl, I need to either move in, or become your best neighbor… I want to be fed with all your beautiful creations every day!!

10 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies June 20, 2013

For a year now, I’ve had “strawberry lemon bars” written on my recipes to develop list. But you just did the work for me! :D These look amazing. I’m definitely going to have to make them soon!

11 Deb June 20, 2013

I adore the pairing of summer strawberries and Meyer lemons! And the spectacular pink filling is enchanting! I must exercise first thing in the morning or I find a millon reasons not to. When I walk or swim I prefer quiet!

12 Anne@FromMySweetHeart June 20, 2013

Oh so luscious, Laura! A perfect summer dessert! When I feel like I’m fizzling in my routine, I need a song to pump me up and make me laugh at the same time. My music can be as retro as my baking…and Super Freak usually fits the bill! Ha! : )

13 Nami | Just One Cookbook June 20, 2013

You and brown butter desserts… I’m easy sold by you guys. ;) These bars look so good. My kids are strawberry monsters so I can see them happy face. Now they are so hooked on brown butter (not just me!) that they request “brown butter” desserts. I guess we cannot go back anymore. :) Hope I can make this later this summer.

14 Rosa June 20, 2013

So pretty! Delightfully summery bars.

Cheers,

Rosa

15 Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today June 21, 2013

hahaha, my iPod is stufffed with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, so no judgement here. Great bars, look very juicy.

16 Tracy | peanut butter and onions June 21, 2013

Strawberry season is upon us… this is a great way to start it

17 Patty June 21, 2013

Love everything about these bars! I have to confess to not having a playlist…
But I do like country western music so that would be on mine ;-)

18 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking June 21, 2013

These are so gorgeous, Laura! What a fun flavor and beautifully colored bar for summer. Have a happy weekend!

19 Maria@pinkpatisserie June 21, 2013

So pretty Laura! And I bet super delicious..

20 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen June 21, 2013

Happy first day of summer, Laura! You Strawberry Lemonade Bars are perfect for a summer picnic! xo

21 Bee @bakeandthecity June 21, 2013

A lot of your recipes look so divine! And these lemonade bars are no different! Can I add you to my blog list? I had a go at making your http://tutti-dolci.com/2013/04/strawberry-mascarpone-tart/ and it was utterly divine too!

22 Annie @ Annie's Noms June 21, 2013

These look great!! Love strawberry and lemon together :)

23 Karen (Back Road Journal) June 21, 2013

Noe that is what I call a reward for walking…yum.

24 Laura @ Family Spice June 21, 2013

I would run home to these lovely strawberry lemonade bars!! I have an eclectic playlist, too. From Johnny Cash to Maroon 5!

25 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 22, 2013

Oh my, what a good question! My workout list is so embarrassing that I won’t ever offer my phone to anyone to play without a warning that they won’t judge me! :P

26 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) June 22, 2013

I love listening to the Black Eyed Peas when I’m walking or running. There’s also Maroon 5 and Coldplay and Train. :) The only thing I’m missing from the picture are these gorgeous bars! I’d love to come home to these after a workout!

27 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} June 22, 2013

Don’t you just love making a great playlist? Yours sounds great. Speaking of great – these bars are just that. My mouth is watering!!!

28 suzanne Perazzini June 22, 2013

These are so pretty and indeed remind me of summer, which is long gone from here. Today is so cold and it’s raining outside. I can’t imagine cooling off in the pool. But congratulations on your running/walking routine.

29 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 23, 2013

A great summery dessert! And love your evening running/walking routine — soaking feet in pool and having watermelon with lemonade bars. A perfect life :)

30 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 24, 2013

Last summer I made pink lemonade bars but they were not nearly as fancy or beautiful as yours turned out!

31 Bill July 17, 2013

What a great variation on lemon bars. I love the combination of strawberries and lemons. Love the brown butter idea as well. Great post!