cinnamon graham banana bread

June 27, 2013

in Breads & Quick Breads

Someone described me as consistent this week. I had to laugh because the word fits me well – I’m consistent in so many areas of my life that it’s almost comical. Take breakfast, for instance. You’ll find me eating granola with a variety of berries most days of the year, but when I deviated from my usual choice and opted for a slice of this banana bread two days in a row, I knew the recipe was worth sharing.

Cinnamon Graham Banana Bread | Tutti Dolci

I’m convinced that graham flour, cinnamon, and honey belong in all breakfast breads or muffins, and when my instincts told me to add a drizzle of cinnamon glaze, I listened. I portioned the batter into three mini loaf pans so I could freeze one for later; alternatively, make one full-sized loaf and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.

Cinnamon Graham Banana Bread | Tutti Dolci

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Glaze
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp low-fat milk
1/2 Tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 3 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine banana, honey, oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Divide batter evenly among loaf pans and place pans on preheated baking sheet. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.

For the glaze, combine powdered sugar, cinnamon, milk, butter, and vanilla in a small bowl. Set rack with breads over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze; let set before serving. Wrap breads well and store at room temperature up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To freeze, wrap tightly in foil or freezer wrap.

Yield – 3 loaves, 6 servings per loaf
Calories – 140 (per slice)

1 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet June 27, 2013

Oh how I wish I could have a slice for breakfast this morning! Gorgeous loaves!

2 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 27, 2013

Looks like the perfect breakfast! The cinnamon glaze make this banana bread special and (no doubt) addictive :)

3 Sandra | Sandra's Easy Cooking June 27, 2013

Laura, those loafs not only look beautiful but delicious too. Thank you for sharing yummy recipe and have a great day!

4 Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough June 27, 2013

I so know what you mean about being consistent — I’m an oatmeal every day for breakfast kind of gal. :) But I’m totally willing to break from tradition for a slice (or five) of this yummy looking bread!

5 marissa @ the boot June 27, 2013

this is a banana bread variation that i HAVE to try! and i’m like that with breakfast too! oatmeal with banana, walnuts and raisins is my go-to!

6 ashley - baker by nature June 27, 2013

I LOVE banana bread and actually have 6 very sad bananas in the fridge just waiting to be turned into a good loaf. I think this one is THE ONE. Gorgeous!!!

7 Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) June 27, 2013

This is one seriously gorgeous banana bread loaf!

8 Priscilla | ShesCookin June 27, 2013

You are consistently wowing us with your baking prowess, Laura! Always go with your instincts – the drizzle of cinnamon glaze is genius :)

9 Kate from Scratch June 27, 2013

Beautiful flavors; definitely my favorite combination. I love anything cinnamon in the morning. These are perfect!

10 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) June 27, 2013

I love banana bread but never had it with graham flour – sounds awesome Laura!

11 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings June 27, 2013

Oooh, I haven’t tried graham flour before, but I bet it’s just delicious! I think I’d have no problem having this banana bread consistently for breakfast! I am sure your home / kitchen smells so nice with fresh baked bread…and cinnamon! YUM!

12 Emilie@TheCleverCarrot June 27, 2013

Love love love this! You’re right- graham flour, cinnamon and honey DO belong together in breakfast goodies. This looks sooooo yummy! I’m definitely making this. Where can I find graham flour? Thanks :)

13 Tutti Dolci June 27, 2013

Thanks Emilie! I buy my graham flour from Bob’s Red Mill :).

14 Yvonne @ bitter baker June 27, 2013

I love using cinnamon in all kinds of breads and muffins, it’s amazing! And these are SO cute! I use my mini loaf pan all the time, too, one of my favorite investments!

15 Kate@Diethood June 27, 2013

I would love to share the rest of the slices with you over breakfast!!! YUM!

16 Deb June 27, 2013

With recurring problem of too many ripe bananas I welcome such a stellar new recipe to try! Changing a breakfast routine is more than enough to convince me to try this recipe!

17 Suzanne Perazzini June 27, 2013

The idea of the mini loaves and freeze them is a great one. I have started freezing muffins too so the family can grab one when they want and pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds.

18 Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom June 27, 2013

yummm! this bread looks delicious!

19 Valerie June 27, 2013

Does being consistently inconsistent count as being consistent? :D At ant rate, may I please have three slices of this yummy banana bread?

20 Valerie June 27, 2013

*edit* any rate, not ant rate! Although that does kind of ring true… :P

21 Cassie | Bake Your Day June 27, 2013

This is gorgeous bread, Laura! I love the glaze. I’m a creature of habit too!

22 Nancy @ gottagetbaked June 27, 2013

These are absolutely adorable and I love that drizzle of glaze on top. I’m intrigued by the use of graham flour – I need to go buy a bag and start baking with it immediately!

23 Sue/the view from great island June 27, 2013

Oooh—I even have a bag of graham flour! And I love all the spices in this one, Laura.

24 Liz June 27, 2013

I think I’d toss aside my typical breakfast, too, it I had a loaf of this terrific bread in my kitchen! Love that drizzle, too!

25 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 27, 2013

It must be good to have you deviating from your breakfast routine! Although with those ingredients I can’t imagine it not being fabulous :D

26 A Brown Table June 27, 2013

That’s one inviting bread for breakfast, I could eat it daily!

27 Heather @ French Press June 27, 2013

I love using graham flour, and this loaf looks amazing!

28 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme June 27, 2013

This looks delicious! I would love a slice of this in the morning with my coffee, yum!

29 Jennifer @ Delicieux June 28, 2013

I’m a creature of habit too when it comes to breakfast, but I can see myself breaking that habit for a slice of this! Gorgeous.

30 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 28, 2013

I’m consistent with my oatmeal, alright. But all i want for breakfast right now is this!! I’m intrigued by graham flour. Do I have to make it?

31 Tutti Dolci June 28, 2013

I order graham flour from Bob’s Red Mill :).

32 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) June 28, 2013

You are consistent like my husband and I’m so not! :) Well, maybe in some things but certainly not with breakfast. But if I had this wonderful bread before me I’d definitely eat it until it’s all gone!

PS: Just noticed your gravatar image–so adorable!!!

33 steph@stephsbitebybite June 28, 2013

Oh my goodness, this sounds so fabulous! I wanna schmear a little peanut butter on it and call it breakfast

34 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking June 28, 2013

Laura, this bread is so gorgeous! I love the cinnamon icing drizzle on top, too. Perfect for breakfast or dessert!

35 The Café Sucre Farine June 28, 2013

This looks so moist and delicious. Please save those cut slices for me :)

36 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 28, 2013

Gorgeous! I could eat this for breakfast every single morning! And that glaze is just perfection.

37 Suzanne June 28, 2013

Laura this banana bread looks divine especially the drizzle of cinnamon glaze on top. I haven’t tried graham flour but I need too.

38 Patty June 28, 2013

If it wasn’t so hot here -I would turn on my oven and bake this loaf of banana bread because I am crazy about your recipe ;-)

39 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef June 29, 2013

I’m looking forward to trying this one myself! Gorgeous!

40 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles June 29, 2013

Now I need to look into graham flour, thanks! I LOVE banana bread, and this one looks particularly wonderful…beautiful glaze!

41 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} June 29, 2013

Thank you for the introduction to graham flour – never heard of it til now. Your bread looks and sounds amazing!!! BTW – being described as consistent is a good thing! :-)

42 Carol | a cup of mascarpone June 29, 2013

Since I’ve moved to Georgia, I’ve made banana bread so much for my grandson, I’ve re-named it Hudson’s Bread! He thinks that’s so funny! I’m so happy to now have another version…with the graham flour! Will be making your version with the next batch of overripe bananas, Laura!

43 Anna @ Hidden Ponies June 29, 2013

This sounds amazing, I love the graham flavour!

44 Karen (Back Road Journal) June 30, 2013

What a lovely way to start a morning…your bread looks delicious.

45 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 30, 2013

This sounds seriously delicious! About 3-4 mos ago I was going to make cinnamon bread with graham crackers but ended up making a cinnamon bread anyway, without the graham crackers or graham flour. I did also make graham crackers, too – and have a TON of graham flour to use up. And I love banana bread. So this is totally perfect! And beautiful! Pinned!

46 Rosa July 1, 2013

A delicious bread! A wonderful way to start the day.

Cheers,

Rosa

47 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen July 1, 2013

Just adorable, Laura! The only graham type cake or quick bread I’ve ever baked was Pillsbury’s Nutty Graham Picnic cake and it called for their AP flour and crushed graham crackers. I like this idea better! Pinning!

48 Deborah July 1, 2013

I can totally see why you would change up your breakfast routine for this bread!!

49 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 2, 2013

I couldn’t find graham flour for cherry bars last time, but I need to go to another store to buy this. I love graham taste, and I know this flour will be very delicious in bread, bars and so on… Ahhh your banana bread looks so good!!!!

50 vanillasugarblog July 2, 2013

I love graham flour.
This is an excellent combo.
Printing this one for sure.
And will include in my friday links!

51 Maria@PinkPatisserie July 2, 2013

How did I miss this? I looks so delicious, and I too love mini loaves. Much easier to save and prevents me from eating the whole thing. ;)

52 Terra July 7, 2013

I love graham cracker crumb crust in this banana split cake I make. So I know I would love love your bread, and what a perfect breakfast choice! Hugs, Terra

53 Laurie July 12, 2013

I love your photos and your recipes! My pictures don’t come close, but whenever I bake from your recipes everything turns out great. I made this bread last week and it is sublime, truly. Delicious flavors, perfect texture, and the glaze is insane. I blogged it here, but I don’t think mine does it justice.

54 Tutti Dolci July 12, 2013

Hi Laurie, thanks so much for your comment! So glad you tried the bread and loved it, I can’t stop making it either. In fact, I have some overripe bananas just waiting to be made into another batch ;).

55 rouge July 12, 2013

Hi! What is Graham flour? I don’t recall ever seeing it here.

56 Tutti Dolci July 12, 2013

Graham flour is a stone ground whole wheat flour; you can order it online from Bob’s Red Mill.

57 rouge July 13, 2013

I see. I kind of wondered if that might not be it. Thanks.

Almost all bread is whole wheat or whole grain here, I’d say about 80 percent of what’s available as loaves even in supermarkets, and the baking aisles are filled 5kg to 10kg bags of whole wheat, whole rye, whole kamut, and whole grain. Really very little white flour.

I have used part whole wheat for banana but I find it too heavy, and masks the taste of the bananas.

I’m very into the taste of the food itself, rather than the spices, herbs and flavourings which I maintain are used so extensively now to give the food taste, because it’s been “bred” out of the food.

If you read old cookbooks, circa 1940 which was prior to industry take over, you will find very few flavourings. The ingredients themselves where richly flavourful.

58 Jenn August 8, 2013

Hi was wondering if you froze it with the glaze on or added it upon defrosting?

I’m baking some in mini muffin form to put away for my little ones lunches in the fall

Thanks

59 Tutti Dolci August 8, 2013

Hi Jenn, if you are freezing then I would freeze them without the glaze, and add the glaze once they are defrosted and at room temperature. Hope that helps! :)

60 Laura Dembowski November 5, 2013

This looks like a heavenly breakfast! Love the glaze and graham flour.