cinnamon graham banana bread

Someone described me as consistent this week. I had to laugh because the word fits me well – I’m consistent in so many areas of my life that it’s almost comical. Take breakfast, for instance. You’ll find me eating granola with a variety of berries most days of the year, but when I deviated from my usual choice and opted for a slice of this banana bread two days in a row, I knew the recipe was worth sharing.

Cinnamon Graham Banana Bread | Tutti Dolci

I’m convinced that graham flour, cinnamon, and honey belong in all breakfast breads or muffins, and when my instincts told me to add a drizzle of cinnamon glaze, I listened. I portioned the batter into three mini loaf pans so I could freeze one for later; alternatively, make one full-sized loaf and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.

Cinnamon Graham Banana Bread | Tutti Dolci

1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten

2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp low-fat milk
1/2 Tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 3 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine banana, honey, oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Divide batter evenly among loaf pans and place pans on preheated baking sheet. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.

For the glaze, combine powdered sugar, cinnamon, milk, butter, and vanilla in a small bowl. Set rack with breads over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze; let set before serving. Wrap breads well and store at room temperature up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To freeze, wrap tightly in foil or freezer wrap.

Yield – 3 loaves, 6 servings per loaf
Calories – 140 (per slice)

Oooh, I haven’t tried graham flour before, but I bet it’s just delicious! I think I’d have no problem having this banana bread consistently for breakfast! I am sure your home / kitchen smells so nice with fresh baked bread…and cinnamon! YUM!

Love love love this! You’re right- graham flour, cinnamon and honey DO belong together in breakfast goodies. This looks sooooo yummy! I’m definitely making this. Where can I find graham flour? Thanks :)

With recurring problem of too many ripe bananas I welcome such a stellar new recipe to try! Changing a breakfast routine is more than enough to convince me to try this recipe!

The idea of the mini loaves and freeze them is a great one. I have started freezing muffins too so the family can grab one when they want and pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds.

Does being consistently inconsistent count as being consistent? 😀 At ant rate, may I please have three slices of this yummy banana bread?

I think I’d toss aside my typical breakfast, too, it I had a loaf of this terrific bread in my kitchen! Love that drizzle, too!

You are consistent like my husband and I’m so not! :) Well, maybe in some things but certainly not with breakfast. But if I had this wonderful bread before me I’d definitely eat it until it’s all gone!

PS: Just noticed your gravatar image–so adorable!!!

If it wasn’t so hot here -I would turn on my oven and bake this loaf of banana bread because I am crazy about your recipe 😉

Since I’ve moved to Georgia, I’ve made banana bread so much for my grandson, I’ve re-named it Hudson’s Bread! He thinks that’s so funny! I’m so happy to now have another version…with the graham flour! Will be making your version with the next batch of overripe bananas, Laura!

This sounds seriously delicious! About 3-4 mos ago I was going to make cinnamon bread with graham crackers but ended up making a cinnamon bread anyway, without the graham crackers or graham flour. I did also make graham crackers, too – and have a TON of graham flour to use up. And I love banana bread. So this is totally perfect! And beautiful! Pinned!

Just adorable, Laura! The only graham type cake or quick bread I’ve ever baked was Pillsbury’s Nutty Graham Picnic cake and it called for their AP flour and crushed graham crackers. I like this idea better! Pinning!

I couldn’t find graham flour for cherry bars last time, but I need to go to another store to buy this. I love graham taste, and I know this flour will be very delicious in bread, bars and so on… Ahhh your banana bread looks so good!!!!

I love graham cracker crumb crust in this banana split cake I make. So I know I would love love your bread, and what a perfect breakfast choice! Hugs, Terra

I love your photos and your recipes! My pictures don’t come close, but whenever I bake from your recipes everything turns out great. I made this bread last week and it is sublime, truly. Delicious flavors, perfect texture, and the glaze is insane. I blogged it here, but I don’t think mine does it justice.

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Laurie, thanks so much for your comment! So glad you tried the bread and loved it, I can’t stop making it either. In fact, I have some overripe bananas just waiting to be made into another batch ;).

• rouge says

I see. I kind of wondered if that might not be it. Thanks.

Almost all bread is whole wheat or whole grain here, I’d say about 80 percent of what’s available as loaves even in supermarkets, and the baking aisles are filled 5kg to 10kg bags of whole wheat, whole rye, whole kamut, and whole grain. Really very little white flour.

I have used part whole wheat for banana but I find it too heavy, and masks the taste of the bananas.

I’m very into the taste of the food itself, rather than the spices, herbs and flavourings which I maintain are used so extensively now to give the food taste, because it’s been “bred” out of the food.

If you read old cookbooks, circa 1940 which was prior to industry take over, you will find very few flavourings. The ingredients themselves where richly flavourful.

15. Jenn says

Hi was wondering if you froze it with the glaze on or added it upon defrosting?

I’m baking some in mini muffin form to put away for my little ones lunches in the fall

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Jenn, if you are freezing then I would freeze them without the glaze, and add the glaze once they are defrosted and at room temperature. Hope that helps! :)