chocolate pound cake

Last week I realized I was lacking a go-to chocolate pound cake recipe, so I baked one twice. In three days. Oh, the life of a food blogger! Fortunately, my chocolate pound cake is lightened up with buttermilk and Greek yogurt, yet its decadent taste (think devil’s food chocolate) will satisfy even the most devoted chocoholics.

Chocolate Pound Cake | Tutti Dolci

Slicing into the pound cake reveals a ribbon of tangy cream cheese that makes a nice counterpoint to the rich chocolate. A scattering of mini chocolate chips is all the adornment this cake needs.

Chocolate Pound Cake | Tutti Dolci

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
  • 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp mini semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Combine cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth.
  2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
  3. Pour half the batter into prepared pan; dollop with cream cheese mixture and swirl layers together with a knife or wooden skewer. Top with remaining batter and smooth with an offset spatula; sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information
Calories: 205 Carbohydrates: 32

When I saw the first half of the top picture, I was already drooling. When I scrolled down and saw the ribbon on cream cheese, well, that just did me in. SOOO making this. As soon as possible. It looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe, pinned!

You’ve just made me realise that I’m lacking in a go to chocolate pound cake recipe too! This looks great and I’m loving that it’s lightened up, but still tastes intense! Definitely be making this real soon :)

Don’t you just Love being a food blogger – the trials, the errors, the dishes, and, best of all, the tasty rewards of persistence? 😀

This cake looks so silky with chocolate – I’m almost tempted to taste my screen!

Laura: As soon as I saw your pound cake in pinterest, I repinned it… I love your chocolate pound cake!!! It looks so moist. In one of the photos, that slice of cake seems to smile to me. Mmmmm! I just wish I could have it all only for myself.

The smattering of chocolate chips across the top of your Chocolate Chip Pound Cake was all I needed to keep reading and devour your recipe! love that it is a “lighter” cake and still loaded with chocolate goodness.

You’ve just killed me with this stunning pound cake Laura. I thought to myself, what a beautiful loaf when I saw the first photo and after seeing the cheese ribbon I can not stop drooling and wishing I had a slice right now.
    Thanks for sharing and thank you for participating to this month chocolate party

Oh. my. God. I’m definitely a hardcore chocoholic so I’m most definitely freaking out (in a very good way) over this chocolate pound cake. Just beautiful!

8. Lora @cakeduchess says

Oh, wow. This is my kind of chocolate cake:)Thanks for sharing a great recipe to bake when I get my chocolate craving, Laura.

I’m glad I came back. I came by before and all I got was one comment but no way to add any but it said you had 34 comments.

I had chocolate pound cake for dessert tonight but I doubt it was this good. :)

I wish I had this recipe ions ago. I used to send my kids out the door with a slice of a chocolate bread that I bought at a local bakery. It looked like pound cake but they called it a bread. Yes, I was a bad mom but I know they ate it!

The sacrifices we must make to be food bloggers! So rough isn’t it?! :) Beautiful loaf and I love the fact that it’s lightened up. It looks so very moist and I bet that cream cheese makes it even more so!

Two of my favorite flavors…hmmm. I wasn’t planning on a chocolate post this month, but would love to participate. There’s always room for a detour into chocolate! Be back soon.

13. Betsy says

Great cake. Wonderful chocolate flavor. Almost like a brownie–but better. I made it without the cream cheese ribbon-just wanted chocolate flavor–and it was delicious. Also, since it didn’t have that layer, I also decreased the baking time to around 45 minutes.
    Thanks for the recipe–I’ll be making this one again soon!