toblerone cookies

March 21, 2013

in Cookies

If you’re as impatient as I am, you won’t be thrilled to hear that the dough for these Toblerone cookies must be chilled overnight. In the baking world, cookies are akin to instant gratification. However, this baker is here to tell you that some things are worth the wait, so stash the dough in the back of your refrigerator and try your hardest to resist sneaking spoonfuls before the waiting time is up.

Toblerone Cookies | Tutti Dolci

A blend of all-purpose flour and bread flour keeps these cookies incredibly tender and chewy (so does a teaspoon of cornstarch). Aging the dough gives the cookies noticeable depth of flavor; there’s no way to miss the Toblerone, brown sugar, or vanilla. In this instance, cookie delay is sweetly rewarding.

Toblerone Cookies | Tutti Dolci

Toblerone Cookies
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup bread flour
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 Tbsp brown sugar
2 3.25-ounce Toblerone bars, chopped

Whisk together flour, bread flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla and egg; beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in Toblerone. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, or up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/4″ balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 minutes, until golden. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Yield – 40 cookies
Calories – 75 (per cookie)

1 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet March 21, 2013

Waiting for these would be hard but they do sound worth it! :) I am sold!

2 Valerie March 21, 2013

I kind of miss the days of baking cookies as soon as the beaters are pulled from the dough – but refrigeration makes All the difference.

These cookies look heavenly! (I’d definitely have to stash the bowl of dough safely behind my seldom-touched, v8 juice bottles.) :D

3 Tutti Dolci March 21, 2013

LOL, that’s a perfect place for it! ;)

4 Carol | a cup of mascarpone March 21, 2013

There’s only one thing better than toblerone…and that would be toblerone in cookies! Dough refrigerated overnight always gives baked good such a delicious flavor. I bet these are fantastic, Laura!

5 Flavia March 21, 2013

Toblerone is one of mine and Peter’s favorite chocolates. I love how you put it into a cookie!

6 Karen March 21, 2013

Love Toblerone! And cookies too, of course.

7 Faith March 21, 2013

I love Toblerone bars and these cookies look wonderful! They are so pretty and they look like they’re the perfect size for dunking in a cup of coffee. :)

8 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You March 21, 2013

These toblerone cookies look simply terrific, Laura… As all your creations do.
I wish I had several of them in a plate — just for myself– to eat accompained by a good glass of milk.

9 Erin @ Texanerin Baking March 21, 2013

Everyone says that chilling makes a difference but I never notice anything different about them. I guess I’m not that good at cookie… differentiation. Or something. ;)

These look lovely! Love the addition of cornstarch.

10 Abbe@This is How I Cook March 21, 2013

I love toberlone. Tt was always a special treat. I’m sure it will make my cookies extra special, too!

11 Monica March 21, 2013

Oh my goodness – Toblerone has a very special place in my heart. LOVE that you put it in a cookie – I must try it!!

12 Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker March 21, 2013

I chill all my cookie dough these days! It seems like a nuisance at first but then you come to realize that it’s worth it. These cookies look soft puffy and perfect; I love the idea of using Toblerone as a switch from the traditional chocolate chips. :)

13 Sockmonkeys Kitchen March 21, 2013

OHMY! These look heavenly! Cookies are my weakness….I do believe I must have some =0)

14 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today March 21, 2013

I love toblerone and cookies including it :)

15 Kate@Diethood March 21, 2013

My mom’s favorite chocolate bar in a cookie?!? Holy cow, she is going to go crrrrrrazy for these! Thanks for sharing, sweets! :))

16 Liz March 21, 2013

Yeah, that overnight chilling does work some magic! And I love, love adding chopped candy bars to cookies…big time wonderful!!!!

17 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking March 21, 2013

Toblerone is one of my favorite chocolate bar and these cookies sound so good. I rarely have enough patience to leave the dough to chill overnight, but definitely worth the wait.
Stunning photos Laura

18 Patty March 21, 2013

Yum, yum-so totally worth the (short) wait ;-) Pretty cookies ;-)

19 Lora @cakeduchess March 21, 2013

I have some recipes that you have to chill the dough and some where you don’t and I love either way:)Great use for one of my favorite chocolate bars since forever!!

20 Jen @ Savory Simple March 21, 2013

Laura, your photos are looking really gorgeous!

21 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings March 21, 2013

This is an amazing recipe! A mix of apf and bread flour – always a good idea for cookies if you want two different textures (a more satisfying cookie). And chilling overnight? I can imagine the flavours penetrating each flour granule…so good for baked goods. I will have a hard time resisting sticking my finger into the dough!

22 Suzanne March 21, 2013

I know it would kill my husband to see cookie dough like this in the refrigerator :) Thanks for the recipe Laura, I bet they were a hit at your house.

23 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) March 21, 2013

I have to confess I have never have a Toblerone bar! These pictures are stunning!

24 Rosa March 22, 2013

Great cookies! They accompany my coffee perfectly…

Cheers,

Rosa

25 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 22, 2013

I’m very impatient but I’m willing to wait for these. Toblerone was my favourite chocolate as a child because it was from Switzerland and my favourite book was Heidi! :D

26 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 22, 2013

I don’t keep Toblerone around the house because I’d eat it all. I wonder if I’d do the same thing with the cookies? (of course!) They look mighty good.

27 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction March 22, 2013

It’s been so long since I’ve had a Toblerone! They would be amazing chopped up in a cookie!

28 Cassie | Bake Your Day March 22, 2013

I haven’t had a Toblerone bar in so long. These are wonderful, Laura!

29 Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough March 22, 2013

My goodness, I LOVE Toblerone! Totally worth the wait on these. They look beautiful, Laura!

30 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective March 22, 2013

Great combination! And love how puffy they look. :)

31 Karen (Back Road Journal) March 22, 2013

Your cookies definitely sound like they are worth the wait.

32 Kate @ Kate from Scratch March 22, 2013

Beautiful cookies. Worth the wait, for sure.

33 dixya@food, pleasure, and health March 22, 2013

these cookies will def. be worth the wait but im not sure if i can resist toblerone though :P

34 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 22, 2013

“In the baking world, cookies are akin to instant gratification. ” – I agree…but I agree more with stash that dough in the back of your fridge and wait it out. Results are so worth it. Love that you used bread flour, AP, and cornstarch. My trifecta for perfect cookies too!

35 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious March 22, 2013

Oh my – Jason is a toblerone fiend so he is going to be over the moon when I bake this for him! Although we may be fighting over these cookies – I don’t really want to share.

36 Julie @ Table for Two March 22, 2013

as much as i hate waiting for dough to chill, i feel like it definitely yields a better cookie and if it’s anything like this cookie – it’s totally worth the wait!! they look perfect!

37 a farmer in the dell March 22, 2013

my favorite chocolate bar added to a delicious cookie? Sold!

38 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 22, 2013

This is the only thing that could make me love Toblerones more… Incredible recipe, Laura! Going on my must-make list for soon!

39 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) March 22, 2013

I am one bar short of making these awesome cookies. Must remedy this tomorrow. Can’t wait to try this recipe out. :)

40 Deb March 22, 2013

Just irresistible! Laura you’ve given me an excuse to purchase candy! I can’t wait make these indulgent cookies!

41 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 22, 2013

I have no patience, not an ounce. But I know, baking requires a whole lot of it, and I can definitely see the results here. Sheer yum :)

42 Lail | With A Spin March 22, 2013

Irresistible cookies.

43 Maria@PinkPatisserie March 23, 2013

I love Toblerone and have a hard time resisting it on it’s own, let alone in a cookie! Good gracious! Yummy Laura!!

44 Mercedes March 23, 2013

Why have I not thought of this before? They look fantastic Laura!

45 ashley - baker by nature March 23, 2013

I’m pretty sure I’d end up eating the entire batch of these in cookie dough form… no self control!

46 The Café Sucré Farine March 23, 2013

These look amazing Laura. Toblerone is one of my very favorite treats! I’ve eaten far too many in my lifetime as I would with these cookies for sure!

47 Anna @ Hidden Ponies March 23, 2013

I tend to bake a dozen right away and refrigerate the rest of the dough – keeps everyone happy :) These look amazing!

48 Roz March 23, 2013

wow, the toblerone takes your cookies to a totally high level! Warm out of the oven, I could eat a dozen!

49 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 23, 2013

I’m an impatient baker most of the time but some things are worth waiting for!

50 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar March 24, 2013

They look so beautiful, Laura! and the addition of toblerone chocolate is just perfect ;-) I made some chocolate chip cookies a few weeks ago and I froze the dough overnight after rolling it into a log: the cookies turned out perfectly, keeping its shape in the oven, without flattening at all.

Take care!

51 Terra March 24, 2013

BUT I don’t have any patience….I will find it for this batter though!! They look so perfectly shaped, and sound wonderful! Hugs, Terra

52 Jennifer @ Delicieux March 25, 2013

Oh these look divine, and indeed do look worth the wait!

53 Glamorous Glutton March 25, 2013

These are great cookies and I can resist them overnight for the wonderful flavour the next day. I’ve got to make these! GG

54 kristy @ the wicked noodle March 25, 2013

But I could still sample the dough as it chilled! I love Toblerone, can’t wait to try them in cookies!

55 Tanja|tanjascookingcorner March 25, 2013

Oh my, why am I looking at these gorgeous pictures late at night… These cookies make me want to go to the kitchen, and bake some right away! Beautiful pictures!!

56 Jennie @themessybakerblog March 26, 2013

Mmm, these cookies sound amazing. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for a great dessert, hard as it may be. Yum!

57 Nami | Just One Cookbook March 26, 2013

I’m not sure if someone else asked (or it could be just me to ask this silly question) but is it better to wait over night for all kinds of cookies (if we can)? I think I can wait, knowing that the taste is going to be much better. :) I love Toblerone bars and I want to see how bread flour and all purpose flour blend will be like. Curious… :)

58 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} March 28, 2013

These look divine. I am impatient at times, but these would be well worth the wait! Delish!

59 Heather @ French Press November 17, 2013

I am quite impatient, but these look well worth waiting for