amaretti

March 28, 2013

in Cookies

For long-time readers, it comes as no surprise that though I’m not Italian, I am an Italophile. My passion for Italy’s language and culture extends to its cuisine, of course! Italian almond macaroons originated in Venice during the Renaissance; the name amaretti translates as “little bitter things” (though these crescent-shaped cookies are anything but bitter!).

Amaretti (Almond Cookies) | Tutti Dolci Fragrant with almond, the cookies have a slightly crunchy exterior that yields to a perfectly chewy center. In addition to being molto delizioso, these are the ideal gluten-free treat.

Amaretti (Almond Cookies) | Tutti Dolci

Amaretti (Almond Cookies) | Tutti Dolci

Amaretti
3 egg whites, at room temperature
2 cups almond meal
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup sliced almonds
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites in a large bowl until foamy. Fold in almond meal, sugar, almond extract, and salt; cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 300°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Place sliced almonds in a small bowl and press with the back of a spoon to break into smaller pieces. Scoop 1 1/4″ balls of dough and shape into crescents (the sticky dough is easier to work with if your hands are damp). Roll each crescent in almonds (gently press almonds to dough if necessary), then place on prepared baking sheets.

Bake until firm, about 22 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Yield – 30 cookies
Calories – 100 (per cookie)

1 Valerie March 28, 2013

I didn’t know what “amaretti” meant – quite the opposite of what I’d expect! Your version looks delightfully sweet, and delicious, and far from bitter. :D

2 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} March 28, 2013

I am the same way about Italy. And I LOVE amaretti! Can’t wait to make these! xo

3 Liz March 28, 2013

Oh, boy, these look amazing! I may have to add these to my Christmas cookie list…I only make the best of the best for my cookie trays :)

4 Carol | a cup of mascarpone March 28, 2013

Count me in on those Italian sentiments, love everything about it! Your amaretti is absolutely lovely, Laura! As good as, or better than, I’ve ever seen an Italian bake! ;} Have a beautiful Easter!

5 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar March 28, 2013

They look so beautiful! this flourless dough reminds me of a sweet marzipan, so it must taste delicious! ;-)

6 Patty March 28, 2013

I love amaretti copies and I’m very happy to have your recipe for these delicacies ;-) Happy Easter!

7 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 28, 2013

I haven’t eaten an amaretti biscuit for ages and now I want one today. Or two. maybe more – it’s Easter. :)

8 Monica March 28, 2013

I love amaretti cookies – all kinds of Italian almond cookies! These look sensational!

9 Rosa March 28, 2013

So pretty and tempting! A wonderful Easter treat.

Cheers,

Rosa

10 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You March 28, 2013

Laura, cara! Questi amaretti guardo delizioso…Molto bene!
Voglio mangiare tutti, tutti!!! ;)
Buona Pasqua!!

11 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} March 28, 2013

I adore these cookies!!! Love that you call yourself a Italophile. Looks like you updated your blog – it looks great!!! Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

12 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) March 28, 2013

These are one of my favorite cookies ever. Printing!

13 marissa @ the boot March 29, 2013

i love amaretti! manu has an aunt who makes them for all the family occasions and they are so chewy and amazing! you can find them in all the bakeries year-round too, so every now and then i indulge in a little packet of them. happy easter my friend! buona pasqua!

14 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 29, 2013

You’re going to laugh at me but I always pictured you as this Italian goddess-I guess from your blog name! :D

15 Gourmantine March 29, 2013

These are seriously the prettiest amaretti I have seen!

16 claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 29, 2013

These are so beautiful!

17 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective March 29, 2013

So gorgeous and perfect to serve with coffee!

18 Erin @ Texanerin Baking March 29, 2013

I’ve never tried amaretti like these! They look so… noble. :)

And woohoo for all things Italian! I was so overcome with Italy love last year that I took Italian. Love it.

19 The Café Sucré Farine March 29, 2013

These are the prettiest Amaretti cookies I’ve ever seen Laura, usually I can pass them up but certainly the plate would not go passed me without a generous sampling.:)

20 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) March 29, 2013

I was going to make an almond cake yesterday out of a need to use some almond meal but didn’t have enough time. Now I know what to use it for–love Italy, too, and love these cookies. :)

21 Deb March 29, 2013

What terrific cookies! Almond is the perfect light and fresh flavor we are craving as winter slowly lets go it’s grip and spring lavishes it’s sweet charms!

22 Nancy/SpicieFoodie March 29, 2013

Laura you should move to Italy! We’d be practically neighbors. Your amaretti look perfect and yes, molto delizioso! Thanks for sharing.

23 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 29, 2013

Such a gorgeous Italian cookie! Your pictures are so beautiful, too, Laura. Thanks for sharing your recipe and have a very happy Easter!

24 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers March 29, 2013

Your amaretti look much better than the ones I buy here. They’re beautiful and really look so good! Buona Pasqua Laura! And also to your lovely family!

25 Flavia March 29, 2013

Bravissima, Laura! These look fabulous. They look like something you would find in an Italian “biscottificio” {cookie bakery}. I love using almond meal in my baking too. It has such wonderful flavor and texture. Are you sure you aren’t part Italian? ;)

26 Claire @ Claire K Creations March 29, 2013

Mmm Laura these look beautiful. Happy Easter!

27 Jennifer | Mother Thyme March 29, 2013

These are beautiful, Laura. My parents are heading to Italy in a few weeks. I have to admit, I’m jealous. As much as I have traveled, I have yet to travel to Italy. These cookies would definitely transport me there. So pretty!

28 Liren March 29, 2013

I learn something new every day! So curious to learn the true meaning of amaretti! I will have to try this the next time I have extra egg whites (I’m always looking for something to make with them).

29 Karen (Back Road Journal) March 30, 2013

I love these cookies but have never made them…thanks for the recipe. :)

30 suzanne Perazzini March 30, 2013

You do the Italian culture justice with your lovely recipes and your Italian is accurate so well done on many fronts!

31 Ana Helena Campbell March 30, 2013

Laura, Your Italian cookies look wonderful. I always wanted a good Amaretti recipe and I believe I have found one here. Gorgeous photos. Have a great weekend… He is Risen!

32 Lora @cakeduchess March 30, 2013

Even though you’re not Italian, you are Italian at heart. What’s not to love about our culture and especially…FOOD:)Love your delicate cookies, Laura. Buona Pasqua. xx

33 Alisa March 30, 2013

Thank you for the recipe! I made these cookies today, they taste wonderful, and I have a couple questions for you. 1) what do you mean by “beat egg whites until foamy”? Some foam on the top but egg-like underneath or actual foam with peaks? 2) also, I shaped the cookies nicely (thank you for the wet hand tip), but they pretty much flattened out while cooking. Should they be refrigerated before going into the oven or am I missing another step?

34 Tutti Dolci March 30, 2013

Hi Alisa, glad you liked the cookies! I beat the egg whites until they were foamy, but they weren’t holding stiff peaks. I’m not sure why the cookies flattened out on you; mine puffed up slightly. Depending on where you are located, it could be the humidity. I chilled the batter before shaping and then baked them right after shaping. Hope that helps!

35 Kate@Diethood March 31, 2013

You fooled me – I thought you were 1000% Italian! :-D

I looove me some amaretti!! They are beautiful!!!!

36 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 31, 2013

Perfect morsels of deliciousness! Happy Easter, my friend :)

37 Roz March 31, 2013

I cannot even imagine how delicious fresh, home-made amaretti must taste. I’d eat the entire batch! Well done!

Ciao,
Roz

38 sweet-lab March 31, 2013

Almond flavor, slightly crunchy exterior, soft and chewy center…what’s there to not love about these? Pure deliciousness in very bite!

39 Abbe@This is How I Cook March 31, 2013

Definitely saving these for next year’s Passover recipes.

40 ashley - baker by nature April 1, 2013

My (very!) Italian granny makes these cookies all the time and we LOVE them! I’ll have to try my hand at them ASAP!

41 Mercedes April 1, 2013

These look incredible and I love how low carb they are!

42 Maria@PinkPatisserie April 2, 2013

Ooooh, I am in love with all things almond, and these look so lovely and dainty. And I’m with you on the Italianophile. Tutti Bella!

43 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts April 2, 2013

Gorgeous!! They sound amazing, and I love all the almonds on the outside!

44 Terra April 4, 2013

Such a lovely cookie, a perfect cookie to enjoy with a steaming hot cup of coffee:-) I love that you love Italy, then I can learn and enjoy wonderful things you share! Hugs, Terra

45 Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings April 5, 2013

Great for dunking into espresso coffee, I must say!

46 Nami | Just One Cookbook April 7, 2013

Your desserts seriously look good every single post. I actually look forward to what you are going to share next. :) Your amaretti looks really beautiful. You are Italian to me, by the way. ;)