meyer lemon & strawberry jam crumb bars

February 11, 2013

in Bars & Bites

I could bake a pan of crumb bars monthly and never grow tired of them. My latest variation pairs floral Meyer lemons with sweet strawberry jam – the buttery crumbs plus sunny lemon glaze add up to one scrumptious bar. If (heaven forbid) your Valentine isn’t a chocoholic, these bars are your answer. With Spring on the horizon, these would also be perfect for Easter or an afternoon picnic.

Meyer Lemon & Strawberry Jam Crumb Bars | Tutti Dolci

I must confess that this recipe is really just a spin-off of my almond-jam crumb bars – I swapped the almond flavoring for Meyer lemon zest, replaced the blackberry Chambord jam with strawberry, and added the lemon glaze. Yet as I took my first bite, I knew these bars were too good not to share – I think you’ll agree!

Meyer Lemon & Strawberry Jam Crumb Bars | Tutti Dolci

Meyer Lemon & Strawberry Jam Crumb Bars
1/4 tsp baking powder
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp brown sugar
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Glaze
6 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
1/4 tsp Meyer lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.

Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; add Meyer lemon zest. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture until just combined; dough will resemble coarse meal. Reserve 1 cup dough for topping; use a sheet of parchment to press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish.

Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Use a small spatula or the back of a spoon to gently spread jam over dough. Toss remaining dough with 2 teaspoons water to form large crumbs; sprinkle over jam filling. Bake until top is golden, about 23 minutes. Cool completely in baking dish on a rack, then cut into bars with a sharp knife.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, Meyer lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over bars and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 12 bars (serving size: 1 bar)

1 The Café Sucré Farine February 11, 2013

I can hardly stand it, these look so amazing! Love the strawberry and Meyer Lemon combo, YUM!

2 Carol | a cup of mascarpone February 11, 2013

Laura, these are exceptionally beautiful! Oh how I wish I could have just one…or all of them! LOVE the photos!

3 Valerie February 11, 2013

Strawberries and lemon! May I skip Valentines Day and jump right into spring with these bars? :D They’re delightful, Laura! Lots of finger-licking glaze.

4 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) February 11, 2013

Those are so fresh and vibrant – perfect for Vday!

5 Wendy Read February 11, 2013

So perfect for Valentines!!! Gorgeous use of jam i might add :) Photos are stunning, can’t wait to try these myself.

6 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet February 11, 2013

Ooh, these bars are absolutely delicious looking! I love strawberries and you are making me a Meyer lemon fan :)

7 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 11, 2013

Wow, the combination of strawberry and meyer lemon sounds sensational! These crumb bars look absolutely perfect for a fruity winter dessert!

8 Lizzy (Good Things) February 11, 2013

Divine! Simply divine. Meyer lemon and strawberries, what a lovely combination!

9 Liren February 11, 2013

I think I’m going to bake this tonight! Thanks Laura!!! xo

10 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You February 11, 2013

Laura, dear!!! Your Meyer lemon-strawberry bars are so speaking to me…They are conversion pieces by themselves!!! Happy V-day!

11 Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings February 11, 2013

Crumb bars are my favorite to eat! But i have not really tried my handsat making crumb bars yet. That has to change! As soon as I am done with my diet…heeheehee!

12 a farmer in the dell February 11, 2013

These sound so stinking good. I am craving springtime with all the flavors going on here!

13 Julie @ Table for Two February 11, 2013

I LOVE crumb bars, especially when it they have a layer of jam!! They’re sooo addicting. I’m obsessed with lemon in sweets and it is such an awesome combination with the strawberry! I’m in love with this dessert – so very perfect for Thursday :)

14 Flavia February 11, 2013

These look divine. I am actually not a big chocolate lover (yikes!)–I actually prefer fruit desserts and I would take these over a chocolate dessert any day. Going to have to make these soon and keep them all to myself. :)

15 Patty February 11, 2013

Laura, your crumb bars look good- I have a few Meyer lemons left on my tree- I’m going to bake up a batch of these lovelies;-)

16 Liz February 11, 2013

Man, who could resist these beauties! I love a crumb topping!!!

17 Suzanne February 11, 2013

Yum, love the combination here, lemon with strawberry perfect!

18 Suzanne Perazzini February 11, 2013

These kinds of bars always take me back to my childhood on the farm. My grandmother lived on the farm across the road and often made something similar.

19 Deb February 11, 2013

I also fell knee deep into thoughts of spring with strawberry jam! I had planned on raspberry jam but at the store the allure of spring was too strong. I came home with strawberry and have no regrets! I imagine eating more than one of the Meyer Lemon Strawberry Jam Crumb Bars is without regrets as well! They are scrumptious!

20 Jen @ Savory Simple February 11, 2013

I love these, Laura! I will never get sick of you making crumb bars so keep at it.

21 Tutti Dolci February 11, 2013

Thanks, Jen! I plan on it :).

22 Kristina February 11, 2013

these sound amazing – I love that you have crumb (one of my favorite things EVER, crumb) AND lemon glaze… never thought to do both :)

23 Anna @ Hidden Ponies February 11, 2013

I am SO with you on crumb bars – perfection! Love this springy combo!

24 Kate@Diethood February 11, 2013

I would never grow tired of these, either!! Oh my worrrrd, I want the whole pan. Please!!

25 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 11, 2013

I love streusel and crumb topping! In fact, it’s often what sells me on a particular recipe! Gorgeous work Laura :D

26 Rosa February 11, 2013

Divine bars and combination! Oh, I wish I had one of those with my morning tea…

Cheers,

Rosa

27 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious February 12, 2013

You know I’m obsessed with meyer lemon so I definitely can’t turn these down! They look amazing, especially with that dripping glaze.

28 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 12, 2013

Laura I am loving these! I love layered bars, especially crumble-style bars…and with a jam filling, even better! Beautiful!

29 Cassie | Bake Your Day February 12, 2013

Mmm! These are so pretty, Laura. And I love the strawberry/Meyer lemon combination. Just my kind of dessert!

30 Kankana February 12, 2013

Crumb bars are such a fancy treat and I love the rustic feeling at every bite.

31 Priscilla | ShesCookin February 12, 2013

You had me at Meyer Lemon. And, I absolutely love anything with a crumb or streusel topping, so these bars are double delicious IMO! Happy Valentine’s Day, Laura :)

32 ashley - baker by nature February 12, 2013

SO beautiful! I could definitely go for one (or two…) of these right now.

33 Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs February 12, 2013

These are beautiful! Send me a pan?

34 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} February 12, 2013

Laura – as much as you could make these monthly – I could eat these daily! It would not be good for the waistline. LOL. Your bars look divine. These are among my favorite desserts. Will be making these!!!!

35 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking February 12, 2013

Strawberry and lemon – what a refreshing combo!
I love your new twist on these crumb bars. Hubby loves anything crumb topping and I think I’ll make some for him to take next week when he goes to Florida.
Thanks for sharing Laura

36 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel February 12, 2013

Lemon desserts — you absolutely can’t go wrong with them! And I could eat crumb bars any day of the week, for that matter. LOVE them.

37 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 12, 2013

I am a total bar freak, there’s something about holding them just screams treats to me..and coffee, I’m weird like that ;)

38 GourmetGetaways February 12, 2013

Oh these look so delicious and sweet!
I love crumble toppings on slices YUM!

39 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction February 13, 2013

I love crumb bars and the combination of meyer lemon and strawberry sounds perfect!

40 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) February 13, 2013

I love all the crumb bars you share. Several times I’ve thought of borrowing one of your recipes but I would get distracted and make something else–there’s just not enough time on the weekends to make all I want. But that’s it–I’m making these. Lemon and strawberry flavors have been on my mind and you’ve combined them here beautifully.

41 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin February 13, 2013

Thank you for this beautiful reminder that spring is finally somewhere in the horizon! This is such a smart, unique combo of flavors – - sounds heavenly! :)

42 Hannah February 13, 2013

Stunning jam bars, Laura! Meyer lemon and strawberry are terrific together. I love the crumbly topping, too. Now I’m really hungry…

43 Sandra's Easy Cooking February 13, 2013

I will agree that I could eat these morning, noon and night. They look very tempting and delicious, Laura! Great recipe as always!

44 Annie @ Annie's Noms February 13, 2013

Love these!! Strawberries are absolutely my favourite fruit, I have to make these, I imagine the lemon just adds another dimension!

45 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar February 13, 2013

Laura, I love this kind of bars, they’re soooo tender, sweet and juicy. I made them once, but it’s definetely too dangerous for me: I ate almost the whole batch in one go… X-D
The lemon glaze dripping all over them is mouthwatering!

46 Nami | Just One Cookbook February 13, 2013

Okay, if you are the one who’s making something for Valentine’s, I won’t even choose what I prefer. Anything coming out from your kitchen (and oven) is amazing. You made killer chocolate treats and so as bars like this. Do you need another tester? Don’t forget about me! I’m always, ALWAYS available for you… ;)

47 Sommer@ASP February 13, 2013

Pour me a big glass of milk and I’d be a happy girl!

48 Lail | With A SPin February 13, 2013

Great flavor combination.

49 Magpie's Recipes February 13, 2013

Mmm crumb bars are one of my biggest weakness and Meyer Lemon and strawberries sound amazing! Can’t wait for spring and berries and more bottles of jam!

50 Faith February 14, 2013

I love crumb bars but I don’t make them nearly often enough – I need to! I love the flavors you paired here!

51 Gourmantine February 15, 2013

Oh, this looks fabulous, I’m getting really hungry looking at the photos!

52 claire @ the realistic nutritionist February 15, 2013

oh my sweet baby jesus. I want 100 of these.

53 Jennifer @ Delicieux February 15, 2013

I love strawberry and lemon, and that crumble topping….delicious!

54 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers February 15, 2013

You just hit two of my favorite flavors! Anything that you whip up in your oven is very good!

55 Karen February 16, 2013

I love that you paired strawberries with Meyer lemon – two of my favorite fruits; kind of tart and a little sweet. They look very hard to resist!

56 Mercedes February 17, 2013

Ooooh, that butter crumb topping with the jam and glaze are making me drool!

57 Terra February 17, 2013

I could eat crumb bars everyday…..I know I shouldn’t, but they are so delicious! I wish my grocery stores had meyer lemons, they are so wonderful! Your bars look fabulous, Hugs, Terra

58 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 19, 2013

I love crumb bars for evening tea. This is paired deliciously between meyer lemon & strawberry :)

59 Christina @ The Hungry Australian February 19, 2013

Beautiful looking bars, Laura. This one strikes me as perfect for lunch boxes, too. My kids are going to love these :)

60 Caryn February 19, 2013

These look amazing!!! lol, you wrote “Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.”… as if there will be leftovers!

61 donika@momwhats4dinner February 20, 2013

These look scrumptiously delicious! Will be making them with my homemade jam! Can’t wait! Beautiful pictures as well! ~Donika

62 Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) February 24, 2013

Lemon and strawberries together are absolute perfection! I seriously don’t think there is a better spring and summer combo!!

63 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen May 23, 2013

Laura, your Meyer Lemon Strawberry Jam Crumb Bars with Meyer Lemon Glaze look phenomenally good! Lovely photography. Came over via Roxana’s 50 Strawberry Recipes link. LOVE! Excellent time to remind peeps for a summer picnic treat! Pinning to group boards at Pinterest!