meyer lemon pound cake

Spring is officially on the move in Northern California. The first daffodil of the year opened over the weekend, and nearby fruit trees are beginning to bud. Happily, my Havaianas sandals even made a brief appearance as I read on the patio. The longer, lighter days called for cake, specifically Meyer lemon pound cake.

Meyer Lemon Pound Cake | Tutti Dolci

I’ve lightened up the traditional pound cake with buttermilk and Greek yogurt. Each tender bite is filled with sunshine thanks to lemon-sugar in the cake, plus a drizzle of my favorite lemon glaze. I can’t think of a more fitting way to welcome Spring!

Meyer Lemon Pound Cake | Tutti DolciMeyer Lemon Pound Cake
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk

Glaze
6 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
1/4 tsp Meyer lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Place sugar and Meyer lemon zest in a food processor and pulse 30 seconds. Beat butter and lemon-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.

Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, Meyer lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Comments

I know you love your lemons and this recipe literally, takes the cake! Gorgeous! I love that you were able to make a ‘pound’ cake with 1 egg and half a stick of butter. I normally shy away b/c most recipes are like 4 to 6 eggs and a stick or two of butter!

Signs of spring??? It will be 11º here tomorrow morning! I want to move!!! You cake will just have to do for now…so gorgeous. I’ll close my eyes and think of California.

I love lemon pound cake, and Meyer lemon pound cake is even better! I need to get some Meyer lemons to make this. I used to have a Meyer lemon pound cake recipe but I felt it could improve (but didn’t know where/how/what to improve). I’m so happy to have a new recipe to try!!!! Gorgeous and delicious photos, Laura!!!

I really need to move… it’s 14 degrees here. Sandals?! Reading on the porch?!?! Oh good Lawd… it will be another 3 months before I can even think about that. But this beautiful pound cake could definitely help me feel like the warm weather isn’t too far away. My mouth is starting to pucker up…nom nom nom!

Me too! I am SO ready for spring, and after yesterday’s rain, I’m thrilled the sun is out. Brr though! Your cake looks so beautiful!!! Just gorgeous and spring, through and through!

Breakfast, afternoon or evening dessert I’m always ready for something lemony and sweet. The Meyer Lemon Pound Cake has my complete attention, just scrumptious!

Oh such a simply lovely pound cake, Laura. My favorite kind! I have a Meyer lemon tree which so far has survived the winters in the bay window of my dining room here in D.C. I hope it gives me lemons again this year, because I would love to kick off spring with this lovely cake as well! (I bet it felt great to wear your sandals!)

how did you know i was craving lemon pound cake 😉
    i was just thinking to myself last night how long it’s been since i made a lemon pound cake for my morning coffee….heheh

Hi Laura – I do love a good lemon cake. Lemon in everything to be honest… so zingy and tasty. Maybe you can explain something to me though? Every year at this time the blogosphere goes nuts over “meyer lemons” (I guess north American folks?!). We don’t get meyer lemons in Europe… I’ve never seen one in my entire life so I’m curious… are they very different to regular lemons?

10. Georgina says

I served this for dessert tonight (Easter Sunday) and it was a big hit! I added a little extra lemon zest to the batter and then poked holes in the loaf before pouring the glaze on top so it would soak through. I served with fresh strawberries and topped with a little powdered sugar. Delicious!!

11. Lauren says

So both my mother and my stepdad’s mom LOVE anything lemon so I decided to try and make a lemon pound cake this year for mother’s day. After scouring the net for recipes I came across this one and decided it looked like a healthier, easier, tastier version of the good stuff, so I set off to try it. Can I just tell you this is AMAZING?! The only thing I did differently was add some lemon extract in place of the lemon zest (since I had none on hand.) It was SERIOUSLY fantastic! Prep/Clean up was a breeze and everything looked beautiful when all was said and done. Most importantly, the ladies LOVED IT! I’ll be making this again pretty soon for my coworkers and I can’t wait to share this recipe and blog with all my friends. :) Thanks for sharing!

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Lauren, thanks for your comment! So glad you liked the pound cake, it’s one of my favorite lemon desserts – happy it was a hit for your Mother’s Day celebration :).