meyer lemon pound cake

February 19, 2013

in Cakes & Tea Cakes

Spring is officially on the move in Northern California. The first daffodil of the year opened over the weekend, and nearby fruit trees are beginning to bud. Happily, my Havaianas sandals even made a brief appearance as I read on the patio. The longer, lighter days called for cake, specifically Meyer lemon pound cake.

Meyer Lemon Pound Cake | Tutti Dolci

I’ve lightened up the traditional pound cake with buttermilk and Greek yogurt. Each tender bite is filled with sunshine thanks to lemon-sugar in the cake, plus a drizzle of my favorite lemon glaze. I can’t think of a more fitting way to welcome Spring!

Meyer Lemon Pound Cake | Tutti Dolci Meyer Lemon Pound Cake
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk

Glaze
6 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
1/4 tsp Meyer lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Place sugar and Meyer lemon zest in a food processor and pulse 30 seconds. Beat butter and lemon-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.

Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, Meyer lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

1 Muna Kenny February 19, 2013

Very beautiful clicks for moist looking cake :)

2 Valerie February 19, 2013

No words. Just…love. Sheer lemon love. :D

3 Lindsey (Lou Lou Biscuit) February 19, 2013

Oh wow this looks amazing! Meyer lemons are so sweet and perfect for baking. I must try this.

4 Jen L @ Tartine and Apron Strings February 19, 2013

You can’t have too much Meyer lemon, in my opinion! This loaf cake looks perfect, and your pewter server is just gorgeous! By the way, did you say spring in northern California??? We’re still knee deep in winter here in Toronto! Ugh!

5 marina February 19, 2013

What a perfect loaf! Meyer lemons are the best!

6 Susan February 19, 2013

This does look like Spring! It’s chilly & raining in SoCal just now, but I am looking forward to lovely spring days.

7 Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough February 19, 2013

See, this cake is exactly why I need my own Meyer lemon tree in my backyard, too. Or maybe I’ll just come over to your place. :)

8 Suzanne February 19, 2013

Lovely and never tired of the fresh scent and taste of lemons! Love all things lemon :) your pound cake look perfect for a snack or breakfast.

9 Diane {Created by Diane} February 19, 2013

looks beautiful, my daughter has been begging me to make lemon pound cake for a week now…so I guess NOW is the time :)

10 Jenn February 19, 2013

Looks amazing Laura! I think I might finish the whole loaf if I made one… :)

11 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 19, 2013

I know you love your lemons and this recipe literally, takes the cake! Gorgeous! I love that you were able to make a ‘pound’ cake with 1 egg and half a stick of butter. I normally shy away b/c most recipes are like 4 to 6 eggs and a stick or two of butter!

12 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 19, 2013

That’s a beautiful cake Laura! And I guess that means that we’re heading into Autumn or Fall here! :D

13 JJ - 84thand3rd February 19, 2013

Sounds like a perfect way to welcome spring!

14 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 19, 2013

I cannot wait for a full fledged spring! This looks amazing and I want a few slices with my tea :)

Pinned!

15 Liz February 19, 2013

Signs of spring??? It will be 11º here tomorrow morning! I want to move!!! You cake will just have to do for now…so gorgeous. I’ll close my eyes and think of California.

16 Jenn and Seth February 19, 2013

i saw the most gorgeous meyer lemons at the farmers market this week…if i see them this weekend i’m totally picking some up to make this – it looks so super delicious!

17 Flavia February 19, 2013

Lovely as always, Laura! Lemon is my favorite ingredient.

18 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) February 19, 2013

Loving all your lemon recipes and this is no exception. If only I could have a weekend home so I could try some of them! I would eat this entire loaf and smile while I’m doing it. :)

19 Mercedes February 19, 2013

Lovely Laura! I made a very similar lightened-up lemon pound cake a few months ago!

20 Suzanne Perazzini February 19, 2013

Noooo! If you have spring arriving that means that summer is leaving us down here. It all happens too fast.

21 ashley - baker by nature February 19, 2013

I’m just slightly jealous of both this cake and your spring weather: I WANT SOME… please ;)

22 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} February 19, 2013

So loving all of the meyer lemon recipes. Keep them coming. Your poundcake looks and sounds amazing. My mouth is already watering.

23 angela @ another bite please February 19, 2013

daffodils…really i am jealous…we are covered in snow again here..but when I get the first taste of spring i want to make this..i love lemon flavors.

24 Nina February 19, 2013

Meyer lemons are the best….great recipe. Lovely pictures too. Its winter time here…and I just cant wait for spring:)

25 Terra February 19, 2013

I don’t want spring just yet, I love cold weather too much;-) BUT I do want some of this delicious pound cake:-) Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

26 Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures February 19, 2013

Wait, did I know you are in NorCal? I am too (I’m in Sacramento)! It was so beautiful the last couple of weeks-love this early spring! Your Meyer lemon pound cake sounds like the perfect way to celebrate the sunshine.

27 Nami | Just One Cookbook February 19, 2013

I love lemon pound cake, and Meyer lemon pound cake is even better! I need to get some Meyer lemons to make this. I used to have a Meyer lemon pound cake recipe but I felt it could improve (but didn’t know where/how/what to improve). I’m so happy to have a new recipe to try!!!! Gorgeous and delicious photos, Laura!!!

28 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 19, 2013

I seriously love lemon loaf and with a cup of coffee I’m a happy bear! Great recipe :)

29 Minnie(@thelady8home) February 20, 2013

Amazing! With the taste of lemon, its sounding so yummy.

30 Kate@Diethood February 20, 2013

I really need to move… it’s 14 degrees here. Sandals?! Reading on the porch?!?! Oh good Lawd… it will be another 3 months before I can even think about that. But this beautiful pound cake could definitely help me feel like the warm weather isn’t too far away. My mouth is starting to pucker up…nom nom nom!

31 Emanuelle February 20, 2013

I’m in love with this post! The photography is beautiful and I all I can think of now is that cake!! It looks so delicious!!

32 claire @ the realistic nutritionist February 20, 2013

All of your recipes are so darn gorgeous!! I love the lemons on the top!

33 The Café Sucré Farine February 20, 2013

So pretty Laura, and my mouth is both puckering and drooling a bit as I stare at the lovely cake :)

34 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction February 20, 2013

Kind of jealous about your spring weather. . .we are supposed to get another major snowstorm tomorrow!
This pound cake is gorgeous!

35 Liren February 20, 2013

Me too! I am SO ready for spring, and after yesterday’s rain, I’m thrilled the sun is out. Brr though! Your cake looks so beautiful!!! Just gorgeous and spring, through and through!

36 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious February 20, 2013

What a wonderful way to welcome spring! I could sure use a couple of slices of this right now! :)

37 Lubna Karim February 20, 2013

So you looking pound cake….it is perfect, soft and making me crave for it right now….beautiful pics….

38 Annie @ Annie's Noms February 20, 2013

Woo, I can’t wait for spring to hit here! So bored of all this cold now! :( This cake is beautiful, I’m going to have to make it to bring some spring into my house! :)

39 Kankana February 20, 2013

a lemony or citrusy treat is always welcomes in my home and this is yet another fav of ours :) I am so ready to welcome Spring and Summer!

40 Lizzy (Good Things) February 20, 2013

I cannot wait till my lemons are ripe! Have shared this on Facebook! So yummy.

41 Deb February 20, 2013

Breakfast, afternoon or evening dessert I’m always ready for something lemony and sweet. The Meyer Lemon Pound Cake has my complete attention, just scrumptious!

42 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 20, 2013

Laura, this cake is so absolutely gorgeous. I love the lemon garnish you added, too! You’re quite a talent!

43 marissa @ the boot February 20, 2013

you know i love yogurt in my cakes! this looks gorgeous and super lemony!

44 Carol | a cup of mascarpone February 20, 2013

Lemon heaven…and I think I’ll stay there! Lovely, Laura!

45 Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice February 20, 2013

If only you knew my love for lemons. It runs deep.

I’ve said it before on another one of your beautiful lemon creations, but I simply cannot wait for our lemons to get big enough to pick and make this!

46 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 20, 2013

A beautiful cake and so wonderfully presented on the silver platter and navy background.

47 Anne@FromMySweetHeart February 20, 2013

Oh such a simply lovely pound cake, Laura. My favorite kind! I have a Meyer lemon tree which so far has survived the winters in the bay window of my dining room here in D.C. I hope it gives me lemons again this year, because I would love to kick off spring with this lovely cake as well! (I bet it felt great to wear your sandals!)

48 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel February 21, 2013

Oh my, this looks crazy good! My lemon obsession is only increasingly growing by the day!

49 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts February 21, 2013

Loving all your lemon recipes. We just got snow overnight, so this would be a great treat to “escape” today!

50 Cookin' Canuck February 21, 2013

After yet another snowfall last night, I am yearning for the first signs of spring. This pound cake looks like a wonderful way to welcome in the season.

51 cakewhiz February 21, 2013

how did you know i was craving lemon pound cake ;)
i was just thinking to myself last night how long it’s been since i made a lemon pound cake for my morning coffee….heheh

52 Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen February 21, 2013

This lemon cake looks gorgeous! I just made a lemon cake, scheduled to post next week! I also used greek yogurt but used more butter than yours. I am eager to try this recipe. Lemon cake is like banana bread for me.. there is never enough and I never get sick of it!

53 Julia {The Roasted Root} February 21, 2013

This pound cake could brighten the coldest, dreary day! It truly is a ray of sunlight! I love that you use greek yogurt in the recipe for added health benefits and that glaze looks fantastic!

54 Anna @ Hidden Ponies February 21, 2013

This sounds wonderful, and your photos are just beautiful! A little breath of spring!

55 Rosa February 22, 2013

Beautiful! Something that reminds me of my childhood.

Cheers,

Rosa

56 Gourmantine February 22, 2013

Beautiful cake, Laura, and I do envy a little the beginning of the spring. We’re still in winter here, and snow is forecasted tomorrow… Happy weekend to you :)

57 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective February 22, 2013

Such wonderful simple clean flavors here. Perfect to go with spring berries!

58 Antonette February 22, 2013

Made this delicious lemon pound cake…so moist and flavorful…love your recipes..all easy and healthy!!

59 Tutti Dolci February 22, 2013

Thanks Antonette, so glad you liked it! :)

60 Priscilla | ShesCookin February 22, 2013

Yes, to Spring and yellow daffodils and sunny Meyer Lemon cakes! Great recipe and gorgeous pics, Laura :) Happy weekend!

61 Patty February 22, 2013

Beautiful Laura! I’m in love with this lemon cake ;-)

62 Charles February 23, 2013

Hi Laura – I do love a good lemon cake. Lemon in everything to be honest… so zingy and tasty. Maybe you can explain something to me though? Every year at this time the blogosphere goes nuts over “meyer lemons” (I guess north American folks?!). We don’t get meyer lemons in Europe… I’ve never seen one in my entire life so I’m curious… are they very different to regular lemons?

63 Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) February 24, 2013

There is absolutely nothing better to me than lemon cake. I grew up on them and can’t resist a nice, moist and zesty one like this!

64 foodwanderings February 24, 2013

Gosh, how do I love meyer lemons. This coffee cake is perfect for my afternoon tea, or at least a slice of it! :)

65 Vijitha Shyam February 26, 2013

Your pound cake is wonderful..great recipe :-)

66 Sharen March 19, 2013

I made this and added 1 C. blueberries …it was D E L I C I O U S !! Thank you!

67 Tutti Dolci March 19, 2013

So glad you liked the cake! I love blueberries, that’s a wonderful idea! :)

68 Georgina March 31, 2013

I served this for dessert tonight (Easter Sunday) and it was a big hit! I added a little extra lemon zest to the batter and then poked holes in the loaf before pouring the glaze on top so it would soak through. I served with fresh strawberries and topped with a little powdered sugar. Delicious!!

69 Tutti Dolci March 31, 2013

So glad you liked the cake, Georgina! Love your idea of serving it with fresh berries :).

70 Lauren May 13, 2013

So both my mother and my stepdad’s mom LOVE anything lemon so I decided to try and make a lemon pound cake this year for mother’s day. After scouring the net for recipes I came across this one and decided it looked like a healthier, easier, tastier version of the good stuff, so I set off to try it. Can I just tell you this is AMAZING?! The only thing I did differently was add some lemon extract in place of the lemon zest (since I had none on hand.) It was SERIOUSLY fantastic! Prep/Clean up was a breeze and everything looked beautiful when all was said and done. Most importantly, the ladies LOVED IT! I’ll be making this again pretty soon for my coworkers and I can’t wait to share this recipe and blog with all my friends. :) Thanks for sharing!

71 Tutti Dolci May 13, 2013

Hi Lauren, thanks for your comment! So glad you liked the pound cake, it’s one of my favorite lemon desserts – happy it was a hit for your Mother’s Day celebration :).

72 Rochelle Hutchinson August 26, 2013

This is the prettiest thing ever. Looks like a slice of sunshine