double chocolate biscotti

February 4, 2013

in Cookies

Biscotti remind me of friendships; of hours spent lingering in cozy coffee shops connecting over warm drinks and crunchy cookies. These double chocolate biscotti have a nice crunch without any dryness. Browning the butter is an instant flavor enhancer, and I find a splash of brandy improves most anything. I mixed in a chopped Toblerone bar (a favorite of mine!), though any chocolate bar you like will work well here. Be sure to add the chocolate drizzle for a touch of richness.

Double Chocolate Biscotti | Tutti Dolci

I’m sharing this recipe as part of February’s Chocolate Party. This month’s theme is double chocolate; scroll down below the recipe for more mouth-watering treats!

Double Chocolate Biscotti | Tutti Dolci

Double Chocolate Biscotti
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 Tbsp brandy
1 tsp almond extract
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 3.25-ounce Toblerone bar, chopped (or chocolate bar of your choice)
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a large mixing bowl; cool slightly. Add sugar, brandy, and extracts to bowl, stirring until smooth. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until incorporated; fold in chopped chocolate bar. Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using moistened hands, shape dough into 2 (10-by-4-inch) loaves on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 22 minutes or until pale golden. Transfer loaves to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.

Using a serrated knife, cut loaves into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices cut side down on baking sheet; bake 9 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for 9 minutes more or until golden. Cool completely on wire racks.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Use a fork to drizzle chocolate over biscotti (here’s a quick video of the process); chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set chocolate. Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to a week.

Yield – 32 biscotti (serving size: 1 biscotto)

1 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet February 4, 2013

I have never made biscotti but these look amazing! I mean, we are talking DOUBLE chocolate here :) Gorgeous pictures, Laura!

2 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 4, 2013

I absolutely love biscotti during the holidays, and yours look perfectly crunchy and ready for dunking into a cup of coffee!

3 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen February 4, 2013

You´re so right about biscotti and friendships and the brandy! These look gorgeous, and I had forgotten about toblerones, which I used to eat a lot years ago.

4 Valerie February 4, 2013

Toblerone chocolate-brilliant, Laura! These scones look 100 times better than anything found in a coffee shop!

5 Sandra's Easy Cooking February 4, 2013

Oh wow…those look stunning and I am craving these now! Wonderful pics too

6 Lindsey (Lou Lou Biscuit) February 4, 2013

There are honestly some of the prettiest biscotti I’ve ever seen! Also, they can be tricky to bake. I’d love to try this recipe.

7 domenicacooks February 4, 2013

These look absolutely delicious, Laura. What a wonderful variation on a classic. I used to be lukewarm about biscotti but the older I get the more I enjoy them. Toblerone is one of my favorite chocolate bars. I always take one on flights to Italy. Definitely making these. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

8 Liz February 4, 2013

Wow…love these! The brandy and brown butter must work wonders on the flavor…as well as the double chocolate. These deserve a double YUM!

9 Cassie | Bake Your Day February 4, 2013

What a great way to enjoy biscotti – I love Toblerone!!

10 The Café Sucré Farine February 4, 2013

Not just chocolate, but double chocolate and Toblerone on top of it all! Oh my! You are speaking my language with these fabulous sounding and looking biscotti!

11 Carol | a cup of mascarpone February 4, 2013

I am double in love with this…and adore biscotti above all!!! What a fantastic chocolate party post, Laura!!!

12 ashley - baker by nature February 4, 2013

Mmmmmm I adore biscotti! Especially ones involving chocolate!!!

13 Anne@FromMySweetHeart February 4, 2013

Laura…I love biscotti….of any kind really. But Toblerone? Ohhhhh yeah! These have got to be amazing! Love your photos! : )

14 Julie @ Table for Two February 4, 2013

You had me at double chocolate. These look perfect to pair with that latte and chit chat with friends :)

15 Suzanne Perazzini February 4, 2013

I make grain-free biscotti which is pretty special but you have given me a great idea to drizzle them with dark chocolate or even dip the ends in chocolate. Thanks.

16 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts February 4, 2013

I have fond memories of Toblerone as a kid. These biscotti sound amazing!

17 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 4, 2013

What a delicious theme to the event! I mean what’s not to love about even more chocolate right? :)

18 Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen February 4, 2013

Wow Toblerone’s in biscotti?? Hello :) The photos really make me want to grab one right now.

19 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} February 4, 2013

Oh Laura, these look incredible! Loving the brown butter addition – just adding that extra WOW factor. Lovely photos!!! Great dish for the chocolate party!

20 Kate@Diethood February 4, 2013

Double chocolate Biscotti – it doesn’t get better than this!! Where’s my coffee?!
I’ll be dreaming about these treats tonight…

21 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious February 4, 2013

Twice the chocolate?! And I can have this for breakfast?!

YES PLEASE!

22 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 4, 2013

Just kinda perfect..really. that is all :)

23 Rosa February 5, 2013

Beautiful biscotti! They look really wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

24 Julia {The Roasted Root} February 5, 2013

Toblerone bars remind me of the episode of Friends when they all went to England and Joey was carrying around the moooooonsterous Toblerone….oh if we could all be so lucky ;)It really is the simple things that help us connect…a cup of coffee and a biscotti is a sure way to start the morning on a bright note and enjoy great conversation with friends or family!

25 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme February 5, 2013

These look so good Laura! I love how you added in Toblerone, one of my favorites also. :)

26 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction February 5, 2013

I’d love a couple of these with my morning coffee!

27 Suzanne February 5, 2013

Lovely looking Biscotti. I love how they melt in your mouth when dunked into hot cocoa or milk since I’m not a coffee drinker but none the less they are really great and your recipe looks awesome.

28 Priscilla | ShesCookin February 5, 2013

What’s not to like? Beautiful biscotti! You all are killing me with this chocolate party :)

29 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 5, 2013

I’m not a biscotti eater usually but yours may have convinced me to try :)

30 Deb February 5, 2013

You’ve got my attention with “crunchy” not dry. Biscotti can be very disappointing when dry! Double chocolate would pair well with an afternoon cup of coffee! What an indulgent treat!

31 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) February 5, 2013

Toblerone is a favorite from childhood–I love that you used it in your biscotti, another favorite. This is an awesome combination. :)

32 Patty February 5, 2013

Now I’m dreaming of biscotti- I’m going to see them like sheep jumping over fence as I try to sleep tonight;-) I love the Toblerone in the biscotti- just amazing Laura!

33 Ella-Home Cooking Adventure February 6, 2013

What a prefect treat for the morning coffee. They are looking great.

34 Rachelle S. February 6, 2013

I want to have a coffee date and eat Toblerone biscotti with you! These look delicious and would make a great treat to hand out with valentines around the office… Miss you!

35 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective February 6, 2013

Dunking Perfection!

36 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings February 6, 2013

My parents used to own a coffee shop, and I always get my hands on the biscotti. Unfortunately, they didn’t look as enticing as yours! Love the chocolate drizzle – and of course, Toblerone bars! That was the only chocolate bar I ate as a kid!

37 Terra February 6, 2013

Would you believe I have had biscotti once in my life, crazy right? I do have on my list to make. Giada always makes it look fun to make this fun treat:-) Your recipe sounds delicious, Hugs, Terra

38 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 6, 2013

Double chocolate anything is like music to my ears!

39 Karen (Back Road Journal) February 7, 2013

Double chocolate means double delicious.

40 Nami | Just One Cookbook February 7, 2013

Biscotti reminds me of a coffee shop that I used to study at. In fact, I had never had biscotti till that time. They had pretty good one and I studied for a very long time, sometimes I went back to get another one. Just realized that since my study day is over I haven’t had really good biscotti. This reminds me of those good ones I had. You certainly know how to bake really delicious sweets. I have a lot to learn from you (and your every post), Laura! :)

41 Anna @ Hidden Ponies February 7, 2013

I just love your description of biscotti and friendships, and this looks like perfect biscotti! Almost makes me want a cup of coffee :) Good thing it would be just as delicious on its own.

42 Laura @ Family Spice February 8, 2013

Oh, yeah! We love the toblerone bar, too! What a gorgeous biscotti. I could seriously use a few of those during my afternoon doldrums to pick me back up again!

43 GourmetGetaways February 8, 2013

Yum!!! So much chocolatey goodness :)

44 Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings February 11, 2013

These look great- So glad to be posting with your through the chocolate party :)

45 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking February 11, 2013

we had a play date this morning and these double chocolate biscotti would have been perfect for our mommy chat while sipping on coffees.
Beautiful Laura, thanks for bringing them to this month chocolate party

46 Nancy @ gottagetbaked February 15, 2013

I would love to be sitting with friends on a sidewalk outside a cafe, sun streaming down, hot mug of coffee in my hands and a plateful of this biscotti ready to be munched on. They look fabulous!

47 Kim May 13, 2013

I made these over the weekend, and since I always like reading comments from people that have made them, I thought I’d share. I had to make a couple of forced substitutions. I had neither brandy or almond extract, so I used amaretto and hoped for the best. I also doubled the amount of butter by accident, so I ended up just doubling the entire recipe. Unfortunately, I only bought one toblarone bar, so I added regular chocolate chips as well. Even with all of that, they were super easy to make, and the texture was exactly what I like in a biscotti. It has a bit of a crunch, but it isn’t a jaw breaker. I can see this being a really good base recipe that can be customized to whatever flavour you want to make it. Next up is your macchiato biscotti !!

48 Olivia S. November 7, 2013

Could I just leave the almond extract out, because i am making this for a school project, and i don’t want a stupid allergy to stop people from tasting this slice of heaven

49 Tutti Dolci November 7, 2013

Of course, or you can replace it with more vanilla!