double chocolate biscotti

Biscotti remind me of friendships; of hours spent lingering in cozy coffee shops connecting over warm drinks and crunchy cookies. These double chocolate biscotti have a nice crunch without any dryness. Browning the butter is an instant flavor enhancer, and I find a splash of brandy improves most anything. I mixed in a chopped Toblerone bar (a favorite of mine!), though any chocolate bar you like will work well here. Be sure to add the chocolate drizzle for a touch of richness.

Double Chocolate Biscotti | Tutti Dolci

I’m sharing this recipe as part of February’s Chocolate Party. This month’s theme is double chocolate; scroll down below the recipe for more mouth-watering treats!

Double Chocolate Biscotti | Tutti Dolci

Double Chocolate Biscotti
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 Tbsp brandy
1 tsp almond extract
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 3.25-ounce Toblerone bar, chopped (or chocolate bar of your choice)
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a large mixing bowl; cool slightly. Add sugar, brandy, and extracts to bowl, stirring until smooth. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until incorporated; fold in chopped chocolate bar. Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using moistened hands, shape dough into 2 (10-by-4-inch) loaves on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 22 minutes or until pale golden. Transfer loaves to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.

Using a serrated knife, cut loaves into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices cut side down on baking sheet; bake 9 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for 9 minutes more or until golden. Cool completely on wire racks.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Use a fork to drizzle chocolate over biscotti (here’s a quick video of the process); chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set chocolate. Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to a week.

Yield – 32 biscotti (serving size: 1 biscotto)

These look absolutely delicious, Laura. What a wonderful variation on a classic. I used to be lukewarm about biscotti but the older I get the more I enjoy them. Toblerone is one of my favorite chocolate bars. I always take one on flights to Italy. Definitely making these. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Wow…love these! The brandy and brown butter must work wonders on the flavor…as well as the double chocolate. These deserve a double YUM!

Toblerone bars remind me of the episode of Friends when they all went to England and Joey was carrying around the moooooonsterous Toblerone….oh if we could all be so lucky ;)It really is the simple things that help us connect…a cup of coffee and a biscotti is a sure way to start the morning on a bright note and enjoy great conversation with friends or family!

Lovely looking Biscotti. I love how they melt in your mouth when dunked into hot cocoa or milk since I’m not a coffee drinker but none the less they are really great and your recipe looks awesome.

You’ve got my attention with “crunchy” not dry. Biscotti can be very disappointing when dry! Double chocolate would pair well with an afternoon cup of coffee! What an indulgent treat!

Now I’m dreaming of biscotti- I’m going to see them like sheep jumping over fence as I try to sleep tonight;-) I love the Toblerone in the biscotti- just amazing Laura!

7. Rachelle S. says

I want to have a coffee date and eat Toblerone biscotti with you! These look delicious and would make a great treat to hand out with valentines around the office… Miss you!

Would you believe I have had biscotti once in my life, crazy right? I do have on my list to make. Giada always makes it look fun to make this fun treat:-) Your recipe sounds delicious, Hugs, Terra

Biscotti reminds me of a coffee shop that I used to study at. In fact, I had never had biscotti till that time. They had pretty good one and I studied for a very long time, sometimes I went back to get another one. Just realized that since my study day is over I haven’t had really good biscotti. This reminds me of those good ones I had. You certainly know how to bake really delicious sweets. I have a lot to learn from you (and your every post), Laura! :)

10. Kim says

I made these over the weekend, and since I always like reading comments from people that have made them, I thought I’d share. I had to make a couple of forced substitutions. I had neither brandy or almond extract, so I used amaretto and hoped for the best. I also doubled the amount of butter by accident, so I ended up just doubling the entire recipe. Unfortunately, I only bought one toblarone bar, so I added regular chocolate chips as well. Even with all of that, they were super easy to make, and the texture was exactly what I like in a biscotti. It has a bit of a crunch, but it isn’t a jaw breaker. I can see this being a really good base recipe that can be customized to whatever flavour you want to make it. Next up is your macchiato biscotti !!

11. Olivia S. says

Could I just leave the almond extract out, because i am making this for a school project, and i don’t want a stupid allergy to stop people from tasting this slice of heaven