oatmeal-pear cookies

January 14, 2013

in Cookies

A wise person once said, “A well-stocked pantry must always have fresh-baked cookies.” I’m inclined to agree with that wisdom – is anything more comforting or joy-inducing than a fresh oatmeal cookie? In this instance I added cookie butter to the batter, along with diced Bosc pear and toffee bits. The chewy and tender oatmeal cookies are dotted with chunks of pear and pockets of melted toffee bits (doesn’t your Monday suddenly look a little brighter?!).

Oatmeal-Pear Cookies | Tutti Dolci

I like to freeze half the discs of cookie dough in a single layer on a baking sheet for about an hour, then pop them into a freezer bag. When you must have fresh-baked cookies, simply place the frozen discs onto a baking sheet and bake as directed, adding 1 or 2 minutes to your baking time. I call that cookie magic!

Oatmeal-Pear Cookies | Tutti Dolci

1 cup diced Bosc pear
1/4 cup toffee bits

Glaze
1/4 cup cookie butter
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 Tbsp water

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Place oats on a baking sheet; toast until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove oats from oven and place in a medium bowl; whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

Beat butter and cookie butter in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; add sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Fold in pear and toffee bits. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.

Form 1-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; gently press down with the bottom of a glass. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden. Cool for 1 minute on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the glaze, place cookie butter in a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk in powdered sugar and water; drizzle glaze over cooled cookies and let set. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 42 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

1 Carol | a cup of mascarpone January 14, 2013

OMGoodness…what a yummy combination! Two of my favorites in a sweet little cookie. I’ll take a dozen, please! :)

2 Patty January 14, 2013

Yes to cookie butter, pears and toffee bits!!!
I agree a cookie jar should always be stocked;-)

3 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 14, 2013

Nothing beats homemade cookies, especially when a decadent toffee glaze is involved! Love the pears too – I tried bosc pears for the very first time last month and it’s amazing!

4 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) January 14, 2013

What a great flavor combo – what brand / type of toffee bits did you use?

5 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet January 14, 2013

These look so delicious, Laura! I love to bake with pears and would love to try them in cookies. Yum!

6 Valerie January 14, 2013

Yes, my Monday has suddenly become brighter, and sweeter! Love the flavours-all warmth and comfort! :)

7 Cassie | Bake Your Day January 14, 2013

I love the idea of freezing the cookie dough…but I would probably just eat it rather than baking the cookies. I love these, Laura!

8 The Café Sucré Farine January 14, 2013

Any cookies with toffee bits has my name written all over it though I loved your yummy looking treats before I ever read the recipe!

9 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You January 14, 2013

Yummy! The caramel on top is making me drool. Do you make deliveries?

10 Liz January 14, 2013

Wow, you’ve combined so many of my favorite ingredients into one cookie! So yummy, Laura! I think your first line is my husband’s motto :)

11 Suzanne January 14, 2013

Oatmeal cookies are my favorite and with pears and cookie butter mmm…sounds irresistible.

12 Julie @ Table for Two January 14, 2013

A well-stocked pantry that includes cookies is a pantry I’d love to spend my time in ;) I almost always have cookies on hand! These cookies have the yummiest ingredients! Toffee? Hello! :)

13 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious January 14, 2013

What a great combination of flavors! Bosc pears should be called Boss pears..cause they are :)

14 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 14, 2013

I always freeze dough the same way, so nice to have fresh cooking available whenever a craving strikes! Love the sound of these with the pears, yum!

15 Gina January 14, 2013

I never say no to cookies, and why yes you just made my Monday brighter. I try and keep a well stocked pantry and I will be needing cookies again shortly. Hope you have a great week.
-Gina-

16 Jennifer | Mother Thyme January 14, 2013

These are beautiful! I love the the addition of the toffee bits. I wish I had these in my cookie jar! :)

17 Kate@Diethood January 14, 2013

Cookie magic…I love that! :) That glaze has got to be ahhhhmazing!

18 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 14, 2013

Today I have a well-stocked pantry and it will only get better once I make these oatmeal pear cookies. They look yummy.

19 Anna @ Hidden Ponies January 14, 2013

I love having frozen cookie dough portions in the freezer! These look so tasty.

20 Rosa January 14, 2013

Lovely cookies! What a fabulous combination.

Cheers,

Rosa

21 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 15, 2013

You always make things that I like! I love oatmeal cookies and your additions and that squiggly icing makes them even better! :D

22 claire @ the realistic nutritionist January 15, 2013

These are absolutely stunning!

23 Jen @ Savory Simple January 15, 2013

I love the flavor combination here!

24 Deb January 15, 2013

Adore the cookie magic! I have been on a pear spree, mostly enjoying their sweetness as an afternoon snack. Adding them to an oatmeal cookies is charming!

25 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 15, 2013

I love baking cookie dough mounds/discs as needed, too. Why bake them all at once if you can space them out for fresh cookies is my strategy, too! They look so good, Laura!

26 Priscilla @ShesCookin January 15, 2013

Oh my, love your description and the flavor combination is brilliant! @Gerry – Boss pears :D

27 tanja@tanjascookingcorner January 15, 2013

Love your strategy, I must admit that it never ocurred to my mind to freeze oatmeal cookies! :) These beauties are on my must-try list, I am a total oatmeal cookie junkie and this combination of flavours sounds (and looks :D) absolutely amazing!

28 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin January 15, 2013

Pear sounds like such a yummy addition to oatmeal cookies! Great suggestion for freezing the dough too – definitely doubling up my cookie dough recipe and stealing this idea next time! :)

29 Laura @ Family Spice January 15, 2013

Total comfort food in a cookie. Love the use of pears in this oatmeal cookie – divine!

30 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today January 15, 2013

You’re an angel. I am not wise, I don’t have fresh cookies at home and I should. It’s 1.20 am, I can’t sleep and could use it plus a cup of warm milk :)

31 Anne@FromMySweetHeart January 15, 2013

Laura….diced pears AND toffee bits in an oatmeal cookie…..it just doesn’t get any better than that. I love pears, and have baked with them. But never in a cookie. This recipe is fabulous! : )

32 Sandra's Easy Cooking January 15, 2013

Fantastic combo Laura! Love these cookies and you made so deliciously! That is a very very wise saying and i totally agree!!:))

33 suzanne Perazzini January 15, 2013

That’s a great tip about freezing the dough.
I must have a well-stocked pantry then because I always have some baking available, even though it is refined sugar-free and grain free. Totally doable.

34 Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice January 16, 2013

Beautiful. I adore pears and I’ll be trying this out as soon as we get picking in Autumn! I’m a huge fan of oats in cookies – the texture is unbeatable.

35 Cookin Canuck January 16, 2013

These look fantastic! The problem with stocking my pantry with some of these cookies is that I’d be tempted to eat one every time I walked by. :)

36 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings January 16, 2013

Whoever said that is a wise, wise homemaker! What kid (or adult) would not appreciate a special treat when cravings hit or when a reward is well-deserved? It’s nice to pop these in to my child’s bag for a school snack. Hmmm, I love pears and toffee together. You have the best cookie recipes, Laura!

37 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 16, 2013

Your emergency cookie storage idea sounds fantastic! We all need a pick-me-up in the mid day (and a late night for a food bloggers!). Yes, oatmeal pear cookies sound perfect to me!

38 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 16, 2013

Fresh baked cookies make for a very happy home!

39 ashley - baker by nature January 16, 2013

I’m so overdue for a cookie baking afternoon! These oatmeal pear beauties look perfect.

40 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) January 16, 2013

There you go using cookie butter again, but hey, I’m not complaining. I’m making my way to the kitchen to have a spoonful myself. I’ll just imagine that I have these lovely cookies to go with it. :)

41 Mercedes January 16, 2013

I think cookies on hand at all times is a great rule of thumb! Cookie butter and toffee, what a combination!

42 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} January 16, 2013

These are indeed magical cookies! I need to get on the cookie butter band wagon. Perhaps yours might be the recipe to try!

43 Hannah January 17, 2013

I can’t resist an oatmeal cookie, and the pear is a marvelous addition. Your plate of cookies looks so tempting! I, too, like to keep frozen cookie dough ready to pop into the oven at a moment’s notice. You just never know when the craving will hit…

44 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers January 17, 2013

I’m not a baker so I am excused from not having freshly baked cookies in my pantry. :-) I would love to attack your pantry for freshly baked goodies including this one and the rest of your cookies!

45 Magic of Spice January 19, 2013

Oh wow! I am pretty sure I have yet to run across pear in a cookie, but how wonderful these sound!