meyer lemon & huckleberry muffins

January 25, 2013

in Breakfast & Muffins

On cold gray mornings in late January, it’s nice to enjoy a burst of sunshine along with my morning Americano. These muffins are deliciously fruity, bright with Meyer lemon zest and Nudo lemon olive oil. Honey adds just a touch of sweetness, and layering the batter with low-sugar huckleberry preserves creates a lovely berry ribbon that helps me ease into my day.

Meyer Lemon & Huckleberry Muffins | Tutti Dolci

Fill these muffins with whatever type of preserves or jam you love; regardless of what flavor you choose, I think you’ll agree with me when I say that muffins should always be filled with jam!

Meyer Lemon & Huckleberry Muffins | Tutti Dolci

Meyer Lemon & Huckleberry Muffins
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp plain fat-free yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp lemon olive oil
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
6 Tbsp wild huckleberry preserves
1/2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; coat baking cups with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, yogurt, egg, honey, olive oil, lemon zest, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Fill each baking cup with a rounded tablespoon of batter, then layer with 1/2 tablespoon huckleberry preserves. Top with another rounded tablespoon of batter (each baking cup will be 2/3 full) and sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over muffins. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve warm or cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

1 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar January 25, 2013

What a lovely muffins, Laura! It’s a very good idea to use jam instead of fruit (and cheaper: here, in this time of the year, berries are soooo expensive!)

Happy weekend ;-)

2 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 25, 2013

I would love to wake up to this in the morning! And I love the olive oil in this. The lemon one sounds amazing!

3 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) January 25, 2013

We were on the same wavelength, Laura. Except you actually made these delicious-looking and sounding lemon muffins while I made the peanut butter ones instead. :) Wish we could swap so I can have a taste of these cuties!

4 claire @ the realistic nutritionist January 25, 2013

Huckleberrrry finn. Anytime I hear that I think of Mark Twain. Well, it’s not like I knew him, but the book? Have I lost you?

delicious muffins! ;)

5 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 25, 2013

I haven’t seen meyer lemons in the store here yet. All of your treats have me ready to buy a few bags though!

6 Valerie January 25, 2013

Buttermilk, yogurt, and olive oil…all the components of super-soft baked goods! (It goes without saying how I feel about lemons!) :D

Beautiful photos, Laura! That new lens is awesome.

7 Jennifer | Mother Thyme January 25, 2013

These are beautiful, Laura! I love how you used huckleberry such a great combination with the meyer lemons.

8 Sawsan @chef in disguise January 25, 2013

I love the fact that these use olive oil
They sound like the perfect way to cheer up a gray day

9 Patty January 25, 2013

We had blue skies today!!!! The grey is a bit depressing, I think but one of your muffins would cheer up my day-they look heavenly;-)

10 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You January 25, 2013

Delicious, Laura! I just wish I had several of these muffins to eat with a cup of tea. Have a blessed weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs January 25, 2013

Hey Laura! This is so funny- Neil and I were just talking about huckleberries and how neither of us have ever had them! It was one of the secret ingredients on Chopped last night. Now we have a great recipe to try them with, thanks!

12 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles January 25, 2013

Beautiful! I love the sound of these flavors together!

13 The Café Sucré Farine January 25, 2013

Oh Laura, what a fabulous combination, they certainly do sound like a burst of sunshine, Wish I had one right now and it’s not anywhere near breakfast!

14 Sockmonkeys Kitchen January 25, 2013

Oh YUMMMMMMY!
I adore meyer lemons, and berries are equally as fab to me. What a lovely combo – most definitely will be printing this out for my cookbook =0)

15 Elizabeth January 25, 2013

I love a great morning treat to brighten a cold morning! These look and sound so wonderful.

16 Deb January 25, 2013

I agree, muffins warm from the oven are a sure way to bring sunshine to a rainy day! The combination of huckleberry and Meyer lemon is enticing!

17 Priscilla @ShesCookin January 25, 2013

You know I’m a Meyer lemon lover! I grew up picking wild huckleberries, but have never seen them in preserves. Lovely muffins :)

18 Kate@Diethood January 25, 2013

These are the prettiest muffins!! I love the set up, the mood… the food… ;-)

19 Anne@FromMySweetHeart January 26, 2013

Laura…these look scrumptious! I have a meyer lemon tree ( or it’s more like a plant)…and I’m waiting for it to bear more fruit again. But this is the perfect recipe when it does! Love the huckleberry jam! : )

20 Stephanie - The Dessert Spoon January 26, 2013

These look delicious (although I have no idea what huckleberry tastes like!).
Lovely photos!

21 Minnie(@thelady8home) January 26, 2013

It looks so delicious and mouthwatering. Wish I could get one to have NOW. :-D

22 Cassie | Bake Your Day January 26, 2013

I must confess I don’t think I’ve ever had a huckleberry! These muffins look divide, though, Laura!

23 Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom January 26, 2013

These look so yummy!!

24 Jenn and Seth January 26, 2013

these are beautiful! i wish i had some for breakfast!

25 Gina January 26, 2013

Could you please do me a favor my dear and delete my last comment, lol. I didn’t mean to put my email address for my name, lol.

Sweet, scoring huckleberry jam. A farm out here grows some and I’m going to be sure and get some and make some jam this summer. Muffins with jam always make me smile, my mom made them for us with a powdered sugar glaze on top. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
-Gina-

26 Wendy January 26, 2013

These look delicious and I was looking for a way to use some blood orange olive oil I purchased for another recipe. I don’t think it will overpower the meyer lemon taste. (I will remember the lemon olive oil when I order my mom her annual panettone from Nudo.) I so want a meyer lemon tree but even if I grow it in a pot and wheel it into the garage for the winter, I don’t think the little tree would be happy in St. Louis.

27 GourmetGetaways January 26, 2013

Wow! These look so delicious, I have never thought to combine jam and lemon cake! It sounds like a match made in heaven!

I love your images :)

28 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} January 26, 2013

So loving these muffins! A bite of heaven in the morning. Anything with meyer lemon is extra special and your muffins are JUST that!

29 Julia {The Roasted Root} January 26, 2013

These muffins could definitely brighten any winter’s day! I love huckleberry and now have a great reason to pick up a new jar of huckleberry jam!

30 Ronja @ a dash of faith January 27, 2013

I have never thought of combining lemon and jam in muffins but that sounds absolutely delicious. A great way to brighten up any morning!

31 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 27, 2013

Hehe I agree, muffins should definitely always be filled with jam! :D

32 Carol | a cup of mascarpone January 27, 2013

What a beautiful combination of flavors! Lovely muffins, Laura!!!

33 Mercedes January 27, 2013

The colors alone are enough to make me want one of these muffins! Any thing with lemon and berries is a great combination! And we seem to be on the same wavelength lately (lemon bars vs lime bars; lemon blueberry bread vs lemon huckleberry muffins). We must be blogging soul mates!

34 Karen (Back Road Journal) January 27, 2013

Your muffins sound like a lovely way to start the day with a cup of tea.

35 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) January 27, 2013

I love muffins and cookies that are filled with jam – such a treat!

36 suzanne Perazzini January 27, 2013

I love the combination of lemon olive oil, honey and lemon zest. They must be so yummy.

37 Reem | Simply Reem January 27, 2013

These are just so perfect Laura!!
I am loving the use of huckleberry along with meyer lemon here.. Perfect!

38 Suzanne January 27, 2013

Lovely muffins, meyer lemons are such a great flavor and with huckleberries…yes please!

39 marissa @ the boot January 28, 2013

i love the idea of a little bit of jam inside each muffin! yum! :) i’ve never had huckleberries before but i’m sure they’re delish!

40 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective January 28, 2013

Oh momma, this might be the perfect combo!

41 Cookin Canuck January 28, 2013

Berries and lemons are a match made in heaven! I just received my first shipment of Nudo Olive Oil and can’t wait until the flavored ones arrive.

42 Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice January 29, 2013

Lovely, just lovely. On my to-do list as we have lots of lemons growing and will soon have blackberries and huckleberries at the end of summer!

43 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 31, 2013

I am sure your breakfast is always filled with some selections of homemade baked goods! Oh I wish I could have these for breakfast and coffee/tea… If I want some I have to go to bakery or cafe. Haven’t tried huckleberry jam before. Now I’m curious to buy the jar!