meyer lemon & huckleberry muffins

On cold gray mornings in late January, it’s nice to enjoy a burst of sunshine along with my morning Americano. These muffins are deliciously fruity, bright with Meyer lemon zest and Nudo lemon olive oil. Honey adds just a touch of sweetness, and layering the batter with low-sugar huckleberry preserves creates a lovely berry ribbon that helps me ease into my day.

Meyer Lemon & Huckleberry Muffins | Tutti Dolci

Fill these muffins with whatever type of preserves or jam you love; regardless of what flavor you choose, I think you’ll agree with me when I say that muffins should always be filled with jam!

Meyer Lemon & Huckleberry Muffins | Tutti Dolci

Meyer Lemon & Huckleberry Muffins
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp plain fat-free yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp lemon olive oil
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
6 Tbsp wild huckleberry preserves
1/2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; coat baking cups with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, yogurt, egg, honey, olive oil, lemon zest, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Fill each baking cup with a rounded tablespoon of batter, then layer with 1/2 tablespoon huckleberry preserves. Top with another rounded tablespoon of batter (each baking cup will be 2/3 full) and sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over muffins. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve warm or cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

Buttermilk, yogurt, and olive oil…all the components of super-soft baked goods! (It goes without saying how I feel about lemons!) 😀

Beautiful photos, Laura! That new lens is awesome.

Hey Laura! This is so funny- Neil and I were just talking about huckleberries and how neither of us have ever had them! It was one of the secret ingredients on Chopped last night. Now we have a great recipe to try them with, thanks!

I agree, muffins warm from the oven are a sure way to bring sunshine to a rainy day! The combination of huckleberry and Meyer lemon is enticing!

Laura…these look scrumptious! I have a meyer lemon tree ( or it’s more like a plant)…and I’m waiting for it to bear more fruit again. But this is the perfect recipe when it does! Love the huckleberry jam! : )

Could you please do me a favor my dear and delete my last comment, lol. I didn’t mean to put my email address for my name, lol.

Sweet, scoring huckleberry jam. A farm out here grows some and I’m going to be sure and get some and make some jam this summer. Muffins with jam always make me smile, my mom made them for us with a powdered sugar glaze on top. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

These look delicious and I was looking for a way to use some blood orange olive oil I purchased for another recipe. I don’t think it will overpower the meyer lemon taste. (I will remember the lemon olive oil when I order my mom her annual panettone from Nudo.) I so want a meyer lemon tree but even if I grow it in a pot and wheel it into the garage for the winter, I don’t think the little tree would be happy in St. Louis.

The colors alone are enough to make me want one of these muffins! Any thing with lemon and berries is a great combination! And we seem to be on the same wavelength lately (lemon bars vs lime bars; lemon blueberry bread vs lemon huckleberry muffins). We must be blogging soul mates!

I am sure your breakfast is always filled with some selections of homemade baked goods! Oh I wish I could have these for breakfast and coffee/tea… If I want some I have to go to bakery or cafe. Haven’t tried huckleberry jam before. Now I’m curious to buy the jar!