cookie butter-toffee bars

Just when I thought nothing could top cookie butter, I tasted crunchy cookie butter. Now on the shelves at Trader Joe’s, I tried a spoonful as soon as I returned home from the store (taste testing is a tough job, but someone has to do it!). Though I normally prefer smooth nut butters, I found the gingerbread-caramel-cinnamon spread even better than the original with its crunchy bits of Speculoos cookies.

Cookie Butter-Toffee Bars | Tutti Dolci

My next move was to bake a pan of these cookie butter-toffee bars. Toffee bits melt throughout these tender spiced squares, adding notes of caramel. I highly recommend warming each square briefly before topping with additional cookie butter and a toffee sprinkle.

Cookie Butter-Toffee Bars | Tutti Dolci

Cookie Butter-Toffee Bars
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup crunchy cookie butter
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup toffee bits

Topping
3 Tbsp crunchy cookie butter
1 Tbsp toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Place cookie butter and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted, about 30 seconds. Cool slightly. Whisk cooled cookie butter mixture, vanilla, egg, egg yolk, and milk together in a medium bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined; fold in toffee bits.

Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 22 to 23 minutes, until edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven to cool completely in pan on a wire rack; cut into bars. Top each bar with cookie butter and a sprinkle of toffee bits. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 bars (serving size: 1 bar)

Comments

I need to grab a jar or five of the new crunchy specaloos!! You’re the one who brought it to my attention via Instagram and why I haven’t already made a trip to my TJ’s is beyond me. I love the combination of crunchy, buttery toffee and the spicy spread. Perfection!

Hmmm, crunchy cookie butter- I need to spend more time at Trader Joes!!
    Your cookie bars are looking pretty good….would love one with a cup of tea right about now;-)

Goodness, bless you for taste testing :) I still have yet to crack open the jar of cookie butter in pantry. I’m afraid once I do it’s all downhill. And now I need to buy the crunchy kind, too!

I bought the cookie butter from TJ’s and from then on I have just been licking them every now and then:) lol. Its time to make use of it and bake something delicious.I am bookmarking this recipe. Looks fantastic:)

I have not yet succumbed to the enticing jar of crunchy cookie spread! But with these marvelous toffee bars waiting to be made I may making a T.J. very soon!

I’m such a fan of cookie butter than I made my own! Yes, HAVE TO! I love it a little too much though :)

These look so good! And the flavors are all fabulous!

Btw I see your mini donuts (last post) on all the food sites, Pin boards, etc they’re everywhere!

7. Jennifer | Mother Thyme says

These look incredible! I just found out a TJ’s is opening in Buffalo, probably next year! I’m so excited to get my hands on cookie butter and not have to drive 2 hours to a TJ’s to get some!

I was just telling one of my friends last night about your cookie butter recipes. Still working on that same jar about a while ago and let my friend have a taste–she loved it. Will be forwarding this recipe to her. Now I have to hurry up and finish this jar so I can try the crunchy kind! :)

Oh how I want a Trader Joes! These bars sound amazing!Good thing we’re going to Atlanta and the hubby has promised me a trip to Trader Joes. I’m going to stock up on things like cookie butter, just so I can make these bars!

Did you say toffee???? Wow, these sound incredible…I have some crunchy cookie butter in my pantry that’s been waiting for this recipe :)

I brought a jar of this cookie butter spread home, and hubby immediately said, “please don’t bring that home again!” LOL, I guess it was that good! Your bars sounds AWESOME:-) Hugs, Terra