cinnamon-raisin graham bread

At heart, I’m a bread girl. I could go weeks (even months!) without pasta, rice, or potatoes, but bread is a must every day. I love baking bread; I find it the ultimate therapy. Flour dusting, dough rising, yeast bubbling – there’s a magic to bread baking. One of my blog goals for 2013 is to share more bread recipes with you, so I’m starting with this hearty cinnamon-raisin graham bread.

Cinnamon-Raisin Graham Bread | Tutti Dolci

When I spotted this recipe on a package of Bob’s Red Mill graham flour, I was immediately taken with the idea of a healthier cinnamon-raisin bread thanks to the addition of the stone ground, whole grain flour. With a nice outer crust and tender crumb, a toasted slice makes an excellent breakfast – I especially love the chewy raisins and cinnamon-sugar ribbon.

Cinnamon-Raisin Graham Bread | Tutti Dolci

Filling
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Topping
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Place 2 cups flour, yeast, cinnamon, and allspice in a large mixer bowl; stir on low speed for 1 minute. Combine milk, water, maple syrup, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat; stir until butter has almost melted and mixture is warm, 115 to 120°F. Add to flour mixture and beat on low speed for 30 seconds; use a spatula to frequently scrape down sides of bowl. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes, until well blended, scraping down sides as needed. Reduce speed to low and add graham flour 1 cup at a time; stir in raisins.

Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 6 to 8 minutes until smooth and elastic (you may need to add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time). The dough is ready when it pulls away from bottom of the mixer bowl. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).

Punch dough down and divide in half; turn out on a lightly floured board. Lightly flour hands and knead each portion 4 times; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll each portion out into a rectangle; combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush dough with melted butter and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon-sugar. Roll each rectangle up lengthwise and tuck in sides; spray two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans with nonstick spray and place dough seam-side down in pans. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. In the last 15 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 375°F.

Bake loaves 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and set. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter; return to oven and bake 1 minute more. The loaves should sound hollow when tapped. Carefully remove from loaf pans and cool completely on wire racks before slicing and serving. Store up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature; freeze for longer storage and toast slices as needed.

Yield – 2 loaves, 12 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)

Comments

I’m a bread girl too! I go to restaurants and stuff myself with the free bread before starting on the main course!

And I can totally make dinner out of this cinnamon raisin bread too! I don’t bake much with yeast but I’m hoping that changes this year!

Bread fresh from the oven is such an outstanding way to begin the day. And warm bread paired with cinnamon raisin is so scrumptious! The addition of whole grains are not only better for us, they keep our appetite better regulated. We are full longer. The Cinnamon Raisin Graham Bread is a tempting recipe for a healthier New Year!

ever since i got over my fear of yeast, i love baking my own breads. this one is no exception – i saw another blogger post a very similar one today and clearly I need to make a cinnamon swirl bread of some sort! Yours looks so soft and fluffy. I love that crust!

So happy to hear your new year resolution is similar to mine. I am hoping to bake more this year and that includes making bread! With my life going in and out of the house all the time, I’m not sure how I can arrange my time to rise the dough etc… but I need to study a bit. This bread looks so good. I love really good bread too!

I think you are so brave for loving to make bread so much! I am constantly fearful that my yeast isn’t going to “work” properly and that I am always doing something not exactly correctly! But, you have inspired me so I am actually making cinnamon swirl bread as I write this! Thanks and your bread is so beautiful and looks delicious!

Yes, please, more bread recipes in 2013 will be perfect. It’s one of my goals too – well, to bake more, that is. I love cinnamon raisin anything for breakfast, each and every morning. Definitely want to try this, Laura!

Laura this is gorgeous and I love sharing bread recipes, too. I have quite a few for raisin and/or cinn-raisin bread I’ve already shared. I love my raisins & cinnamon and yours looks awesome. Love that you used maple and graham flour in it, too!

Beautiful cinnamon raisin bread!
    I just happen to have a bag of graham flour that needs to get used up and I can’t think of a better use for it then this lovely bread recipe;-)

Love your goal for 2013! I adore bread and all the warm, cozy feelings evoked from baking it. Graham bread is a favorite of ours – my mom baked a quick bread with graham flour when I was growing up. I like your cinnamon-raisin variation and can’t wait to try it! Happy new year!

I am so with you, I am a bread girl too!!!! Your bread looks AMAZING:-) Sorry I haven’t stopped by in awhile, hope you are well:-) Hugs, Terra