chocolate-hazelnut tart

Whenever I long to be in Italy, I grow nostalgic for chocolate and hazelnut treats. I fell for the rich and nutty combination in my travels and whether it be savoring a few nougatine with my afternoon espresso, or indulging in a cup of gianduja gelato for dessert, I simply can’t get enough of the duo.

Chocolate-Hazelnut Tart | Tutti Dolci

With Italy in mind, I dreamed up this chocolate-hazelnut tart. The brown butter-hazelnut crust is crisp and buttery, a perfect counterpoint to the silky chocolate filling. There’s not a slip of cream in the entire recipe, so you can eat two slices relatively guilt-free, or if you must have your cream, whip it into a topping just before serving. I dusted my tart with unsweetened cocoa powder and added a sprinkle of chopped chocolate-covered hazelnuts; the choice is yours!

Chocolate-Hazelnut Tart | Tutti Dolci

Chocolate-Hazelnut Tart
Crust
1/4 cup hazelnuts, finely ground
1/2 cup unsalted butter

Filling & Topping
1/4 cup Nutella
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups reduced fat (2%) milk
Unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
2 Tbsp chocolate-covered hazelnuts, chopped

For the crust, preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 14-inch rectangular removable-bottom tart pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, ground hazelnuts, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.

Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Add brown butter to flour mixture and stir until incorporated; press mixture in the bottom and up the sides of prepared tart pan. Bake for 24 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Place Nutella in a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds; set aside to cool slightly. Whisk together cornstarch, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently. Once mixture comes to a boil, continue whisking for about 2 minutes, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in Nutella and vanilla.

Pour filling into cooled shell and place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the filling to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or up to overnight.

Before serving, dust tart with cocoa and top with chopped hazelnuts. Use a sharp knife to cut into wedges. Store leftovers in the refrigerator loosely covered.

Yield – 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Comments

Wow! I’m taken in by your delicious tart and the gorgeous photos!! (Love the colour scheme.) And I love the fact that it’s okay to enjoy more than one slice! 😀

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Marissa, thank you! The crust should fit perfectly fine in a 9-inch round tart pan. You’ll probably have a little extra filling, so you could just pour it into ramekins, place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and chill until thickened. The filling is essentially a pudding.

I would LOVE to come to your house for dessert Laura, wouldn’t we have fun sitting and chatting and getting to know each other and enjoying a piece of this fabulous tart. Once I got to know you (probably after about 5 minutes) I’d be sure to ask for a second piece, “with whip”, please!

This sounds heavenly Laura! I love that there isn’t any cream in the recipe, and I love the combination of brown butter, chocolate, and hazelnut. This is one I need to try out sometime. :)

My love for hazelnut came very late – like mid 20s?! I know, I always love chocolate, but almond and chocolate had been my thing. I don’t know what made my preference changed, but I now REALLY enjoy chocolate hazelnut combination. This tart is like a dream chocolate dessert. I’m more of tart person than spongy cake. This looks so appealing…. I love how you put the chopped chocolate-covered hazelnuts in the middle. Pretty!

this sounds SO good – I love the sound of the crust… several years back when I was opening a resort spa, I got to develop a product line, and since Oregon produces something like 99% of the nations hazelnuts, that was one of the ingredients I used… I met hazelnut farmers, learned way more than I ever thought I wanted to about the hazelnut (also called filbert!), and our restaurant made things like this…

wow, that was a very long way of saying this recipe brings back memories… I will be trying it soon!

Awww, truly gorgeous! A perfect treat to make any heart feel better for sure:-) Love love the combination of chocolate and hazelnuts together too:-) Hugs, Terra

Wow, this tart looks so delicious. I have an affection for chocolate and hazel nuts and it has come to me late in my life but none the less I’m glad I found the two.