meyer lemon scones

Three years ago, we planted our Meyer lemon tree. A thousand days later, the tree is laden with smooth-skinned, yolk-colored fruit. There’s beauty in that first harvest, and wonder too – growing your own fruit (or vegetables) feels as natural as breathing. A cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, Meyer lemons are the essence of sunshine; a promise of the longer days ahead.

Meyer Lemon Scones | Tutti Dolci

These buttery and tender scones are my ideal breakfast. Meyer lemon zest perfumes the scones while almond meal adds a slightly nutty character. The bright glaze adds just enough sweetness to a breakfast offering. Happy New Year!

Meyer Lemon Scones | Tutti Dolci

Meyer Lemon Scones
Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour*
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
6 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk
1/8 tsp almond extract

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
1 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Place Meyer lemon zest and sugar in a food processor; pulse until combined, about 30 seconds. Whisk together lemon-sugar, self-rising flour, almond meal, and baking soda in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and almond extract in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated. Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out onto prepared baking sheet; lightly flour hands and pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Score into 12 wedges with floured bench scraper.

Bake 16 minutes, until golden. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer to wire rack to cool before slicing into wedges. To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, Meyer lemon zest, and juice in a small bowl. Set rack with scones over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze (if glaze starts to harden, microwave for 5 seconds and whisk); let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

*Don’t have self-rising flour? Substitute 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt (and include the 1/2 teaspoon baking soda). Increase the buttermilk to 1/2 cup.

Yield – 12 scones (serving size: 1 scone)

Comments

Some of the things I look forward to in the winter months here in Toronto is the abundance of citrus – Meyer lemon included. Since trying them (only) a couple of years ago, I’ve been smitten by these lovely “essence of sunshine,” as you call them. I agree! I just made some Meyer lemon sables myself this past christmas, so I think I will post that, too. But as usual, your scones are just purrrr-fect!

These lemon scones look so good! Scones are not served for breakfast in Australia. The first time I tried that people rolled their eyes and said, “Americans!” under their breath. LOL They’re for morning or afternoon tea here. I’ve learned my lesson but I still love them for breakfast myself. :)

Happy New Year, Laura!!

I used to live in a house in San Diego from 1923. It had a lemon tree the size of something like a Rockefellar Center Xmas tree and Im not even kidding. And there was a smaller Meyer lemon tree and upteeen zillion other fruit trees, herbs, etc given the climate. This recipe is gorgeous and brings me back to that time and place. We lived there the year I was pregnant and when my daughter was a tiny newborn!

Lovely scones Laura! I love Meyer lemons and they are even better home grown. How nice to pick your own lemons and make what tickles your tummy that day :). Happy New Year to you’

I have never had the pleasure of tasting a Meyer lemon, but I really need to seek them out! Your description of a combination of mandarin orange and lemon sounds fantastic and your scones are perfection. I wish I had one to enjoy with my latte right now! How wonderful that you have your own lemon tree!

I am just a bit envious! We have two lemon trees that never bear fruit. They are lush with green leaves but do not blossom! The scones are impeccable with lemon zest and a hint on almond. A most superlative way o begin the New Year!

Can you believe I still haven’t tried a meyer lemon yet? I know they’re in season now so I must get my hands on some and make these scones. I made your apple cinnamon scones last time and they turned out great so I’m positive these will be amazing as well – especially with that glorious glaze!!

Now I want to plant a meyer lemon tree, what a lovely idea…..and delicious idea!!! I love devouring scones, they are just way too good…..BUT your meyer lemon scones must be pretty amazing, Hugs, Terra

Our meyer lemon tree did not produce for a few years then it did, then it did not. This year, I have 2 lemons – yeah! Glad yours is doing so well. These scoans are mouthwatering and just wish I had one OR two right now. Delish!! Happy New Year!

I treasure my Meyer lemon tree. It grows against one wall of my home and suffers from the deer eating its lower leaves but it never fails to produce in abundance for me. So happy that your first harvest allowed you to make these scones. I can almost taste them!

Happy New Year, Laura!

I saw Meyer lemons in Costco the other day too. So nice to get your own fruits. I want yuzu and meyer lemon trees in my backyard but with the windy condition on this hill I don’t know if they can grow… I need to research a bit. I would love to eat Meyer lemon scones… I’ll fall in love for sure. :)

Greetings,

This is my first visit to your site; I found you through Ciao Chow Linda. Your recipes look great, and your photographs are really gorgeous. And thanks for this one. I have lots of Meyer lemons now, so I will make good use of your recipe. Happy New Year!

You. Have a Meyer lemon TREE?! How fantastic. The closest I came to backyard citrus was when I lived in Miami. We had an ornamental citrus tree called a calamondin, kind of like a kumquat but not so good to eat. So sad. Enjoy the harvest!

14. Laura says

These look great. What if you don’t have almond meal? I have almond flour. Where do you find almond meal? Or can you just grind almonds?
    Thanks!!