meyer lemon scones

December 31, 2012

in Breakfast & Muffins

Three years ago, we planted our Meyer lemon tree. A thousand days later, the tree is laden with smooth-skinned, yolk-colored fruit. There’s beauty in that first harvest, and wonder too – growing your own fruit (or vegetables) feels as natural as breathing. A cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, Meyer lemons are the essence of sunshine; a promise of the longer days ahead.

Meyer Lemon Scones | Tutti Dolci

These buttery and tender scones are my ideal breakfast. Meyer lemon zest perfumes the scones while almond meal adds a slightly nutty character. The bright glaze adds just enough sweetness to a breakfast offering. Happy New Year!

Meyer Lemon Scones | Tutti Dolci

Meyer Lemon Scones
Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour*
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
6 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk
1/8 tsp almond extract

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
1 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Place Meyer lemon zest and sugar in a food processor; pulse until combined, about 30 seconds. Whisk together lemon-sugar, self-rising flour, almond meal, and baking soda in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and almond extract in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated. Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out onto prepared baking sheet; lightly flour hands and pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Score into 12 wedges with floured bench scraper.

Bake 16 minutes, until golden. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer to wire rack to cool before slicing into wedges. To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, Meyer lemon zest, and juice in a small bowl. Set rack with scones over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze (if glaze starts to harden, microwave for 5 seconds and whisk); let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

*Don’t have self-rising flour? Substitute 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt (and include the 1/2 teaspoon baking soda). Increase the buttermilk to 1/2 cup.

Yield – 12 scones (serving size: 1 scone)

1 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet December 31, 2012

These look fabulous, Laura! Happy New Year!!

2 Cassie | Bake Your Day December 31, 2012

Laura, these are gorgeous! I love using Meyer lemons for baking and I adore scones. These are perfect!

3 Liz December 31, 2012

Mmmm…these look outstanding! i’m going to have to pick up some Meyer lemons!

4 Lizzy (Good Things) December 31, 2012

Is there anything quite as exquisite as Meyer lemons? Lovely recipe. Happy new year.

5 Valerie December 31, 2012

Oh, what I wouldn’t give for those longer days…or my very own meyer lemon tree! These scones look irresistible!

6 Carol | acupofmascarpone December 31, 2012

Although lemon anything is my absolute favorite, I have never made lemon scones…but these divine scones have inspired me!!! Happy New Year, Laura! So blessed to have met you through the blogging world in 2012!!! xox

7 Patty December 31, 2012

Oh nice! Can’t wait to try your recipe with my Meyer lemons!
Happy New Year Laura;-)

8 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings December 31, 2012

Some of the things I look forward to in the winter months here in Toronto is the abundance of citrus – Meyer lemon included. Since trying them (only) a couple of years ago, I’ve been smitten by these lovely “essence of sunshine,” as you call them. I agree! I just made some Meyer lemon sables myself this past christmas, so I think I will post that, too. But as usual, your scones are just purrrr-fect!

9 suzanne Perazzini December 31, 2012

Great looking scones. Scones will always take me back to my childhood on the farm when they were baked every week.

10 JJ - 84thand3rd December 31, 2012

How wonderful that you have a lemon tree! These sound just lovely – Happy New Year!

11 Anna @ Hidden Ponies December 31, 2012

So jealous of your backyard lemon tree! These are gorgeous, there are few things better than a good scone. Happy new year Laura!

12 The Café Sucré Farine December 31, 2012

Love, love, love Meyer lemons and I’m always excited when the season for them rolls around. These scones look fantastic, I’m quite jealous that you have a tree right in your yard! :)

13 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef December 31, 2012

These lemon scones look so good! Scones are not served for breakfast in Australia. The first time I tried that people rolled their eyes and said, “Americans!” under their breath. LOL They’re for morning or afternoon tea here. I’ve learned my lesson but I still love them for breakfast myself. :)

Happy New Year, Laura!!

14 Stephanie - The Dessert Spoon December 31, 2012

I also have a Meyer lemon tree. Your post has inspired me to take better care of it!

Your scones look just lovely!

15 Jen @ Savory Simple January 1, 2013

I’m so excited that meyer lemons are back! What a great way to enjoy them.

16 Karen (Back Road Journal) January 1, 2013

I wish I had one of your scones with my cup of tea this morning. Happy New Year!

17 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) January 1, 2013

I am so jealous you have a Meyer Lemon Tree (or any fruit tree for that matter) so cool! Happy New Year Laura :)

18 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 1, 2013

I used to live in a house in San Diego from 1923. It had a lemon tree the size of something like a Rockefellar Center Xmas tree and Im not even kidding. And there was a smaller Meyer lemon tree and upteeen zillion other fruit trees, herbs, etc given the climate. This recipe is gorgeous and brings me back to that time and place. We lived there the year I was pregnant and when my daughter was a tiny newborn!

19 Nina January 1, 2013

I adore these scones….looks fantastic. Happy New Year Laura!

20 Suzanne January 1, 2013

Lovely scones Laura! I love Meyer lemons and they are even better home grown. How nice to pick your own lemons and make what tickles your tummy that day :). Happy New Year to you’

21 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 1, 2013

I’m so jealous of your meyer lemon tree! That’s on my bucket list when Jason and I get a house! And these scones – YUM! I would love to have this for breakfast tomorrow!

22 Mercedes January 2, 2013

I have never had the pleasure of tasting a Meyer lemon, but I really need to seek them out! Your description of a combination of mandarin orange and lemon sounds fantastic and your scones are perfection. I wish I had one to enjoy with my latte right now! How wonderful that you have your own lemon tree!

23 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel January 2, 2013

Omg. After seeing that picture of those fresh picked lemons on your Instagram, I KNEW you were going to come up with something fantabulous with them.. and these scones are def. fantabulous!

24 Deb January 2, 2013

I am just a bit envious! We have two lemon trees that never bear fruit. They are lush with green leaves but do not blossom! The scones are impeccable with lemon zest and a hint on almond. A most superlative way o begin the New Year!

25 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme January 2, 2013

I am so jealous that you have a meyer lemon tree. :) These looks absolutely amazing. Such a perfect flavor for a scone.

26 Kankana January 2, 2013

You know, I never baked scones till date! Looking at your post and the basket of orange on my counter, I am getting ideas :)

27 Susan January 2, 2013

Yum, Laura! These look & sound amazing. I love lemon and scones, so I must try them!

Felice Anno Nuovo, Bella! Baci!

28 Julie @ Table for Two January 2, 2013

Can you believe I still haven’t tried a meyer lemon yet? I know they’re in season now so I must get my hands on some and make these scones. I made your apple cinnamon scones last time and they turned out great so I’m positive these will be amazing as well – especially with that glorious glaze!!

29 Terra January 2, 2013

Now I want to plant a meyer lemon tree, what a lovely idea…..and delicious idea!!! I love devouring scones, they are just way too good…..BUT your meyer lemon scones must be pretty amazing, Hugs, Terra

30 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 3, 2013

Ahh my kingdom for one of these lovely scones warm from the oven please! :D

31 claire @ the realistic nutritionist January 3, 2013

These are beautiful Laura!! I’ve yet to make anything with meyer lemon.

32 katie January 3, 2013

These scones look out of this world delicious!

33 elena-sweetlife January 3, 2013

Buttery and tender are magic words to me… I love your scones! Happy new year!

34 Lan | angry asian January 3, 2013

i’m really jealous that you have a meyer lemon tree!

35 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 3, 2013

I would love to have a citrus tree! Can’t believe meyer lemon season is starting – time to keep an eye out for them again!
Your scones sound delicious!

36 Jenn and Seth January 3, 2013

such a delicious use for meyer lemons! absolutely lovely!

37 Elizabeth January 3, 2013

I’m soo jealous of your lemon tree! That sounds amazing! Yum!!

38 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} January 3, 2013

Our meyer lemon tree did not produce for a few years then it did, then it did not. This year, I have 2 lemons – yeah! Glad yours is doing so well. These scoans are mouthwatering and just wish I had one OR two right now. Delish!! Happy New Year!

39 Rosa January 4, 2013

Divine! I’m a big fan of citrusy treats and scones…

Best wishes for 2013!

Cheers,

Rosa

40 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective January 4, 2013

Those look heavenly!

41 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) January 4, 2013

I treasure my Meyer lemon tree. It grows against one wall of my home and suffers from the deer eating its lower leaves but it never fails to produce in abundance for me. So happy that your first harvest allowed you to make these scones. I can almost taste them!

Happy New Year, Laura!

42 Magic of Spice January 4, 2013

Happy New Year Laura! These scones are just beautiful…trying to imagine the wonderful aroma!

43 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 5, 2013

I saw Meyer lemons in Costco the other day too. So nice to get your own fruits. I want yuzu and meyer lemon trees in my backyard but with the windy condition on this hill I don’t know if they can grow… I need to research a bit. I would love to eat Meyer lemon scones… I’ll fall in love for sure. :)

44 AdriBarr January 15, 2013

Greetings,

This is my first visit to your site; I found you through Ciao Chow Linda. Your recipes look great, and your photographs are really gorgeous. And thanks for this one. I have lots of Meyer lemons now, so I will make good use of your recipe. Happy New Year!

45 Karen February 26, 2013

You. Have a Meyer lemon TREE?! How fantastic. The closest I came to backyard citrus was when I lived in Miami. We had an ornamental citrus tree called a calamondin, kind of like a kumquat but not so good to eat. So sad. Enjoy the harvest!

46 Laura January 30, 2014

These look great. What if you don’t have almond meal? I have almond flour. Where do you find almond meal? Or can you just grind almonds?
Thanks!!

47 Tutti Dolci January 30, 2014

Hi Laura, you can use your almond flour interchangeably with almond meal. Hope that helps! :)