baileys irish cream thumbprints

December 15, 2012

in Cookies

I’ll keep this post brief – in the last 24 hours, our thoughts and prayers have been directed toward the Connecticut tragedy. Words seem inadequate at this time, yet I’m reminded that life is short and there is no time to leave important things unsaid. In this season of busyness, spend time with those you love. Give thanks for every blessing and take time to reflect upon what is truly important.

Baileys Irish Cream Thumbprints | Tutti Dolci

These Baileys Irish Cream thumbprints are rich little bites; the deeply chocolate cookies are filled with silky smooth ganache. You will have extra ganache – let it firm up in the refrigerator and roll into truffles for a decadent edible gift.

Baileys Irish Cream Thumbprints | Tutti Dolci

Baileys Irish Cream Thumbprints
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar

Ganache
2/3 cup heavy cream
6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 Tbsp Baileys Irish Cream

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla, then reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls; place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets and press a well into the center of each with the handle of a wooden spoon. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes. Bake for 7 minutes, then remove from oven and press centers again. Bake until firm, 5 minutes more. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the ganache, pour cream into a saucepan and bring just to a boil over high heat. Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl; pour cream over chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool 5 minutes; whisk in Baileys. Working quickly, use a spoon to fill each thumbprint with warm ganache. Let set before serving. Use extra ganache for Baileys Irish Cream Truffles.

Yield – 54 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

1 kristy @ the wicked noodle December 15, 2012

Or just double the thumbprints which is what I plan on doing! Either way, I know they’ll all get eaten :-)

Like all parents, I’ve been hugging my girls incessantly since we got the news yesterday. Hugs to you, too!!

2 The Café Sucré Farine December 15, 2012

These are amazingly delicious looking and your words are so true. It’s easy to get so busy at this time of the year and not take the time to say and do the things that really matter. So sadly this tragedy is a poignant reminder of this to each of us.

3 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers December 15, 2012

I love your second picture Laura and when I saw the title of the recipe, i just had to rush here and read it myself. Even if I am so far away, I felt like I was also slashed in the heart after learning about the terrible tragedy. I cannot get over the fact that 20 little children were just shot to death. I think the whole world is suffering, parent or non-parent.

4 Patty December 15, 2012

Hi Laura!
This is such a sad time for everybody, it’s wonderful to see your lovely cookies and think about happy holidays;-)

5 Valerie December 15, 2012

These cookies look wonderful! (Irish Cream truffles sound quite spectacular too!) :D

6 Lizzy (Good Things) December 15, 2012

So very festive and sooooooooooo delicious!

7 Kate@Diethood December 15, 2012

heaven in a bite! love!

8 Susan December 15, 2012

Laura,

I love your version of these – the best I’ve seen yet!

9 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious December 16, 2012

Amazing! How can anyone resist these?!

10 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 16, 2012

We’ve been glued to the internet just shocked at the news. I don’t know what to say. Of course we want answers-why would someone do something so horrible. But what excuse could there be?

11 Liz December 16, 2012

These look phenomenal, Laura! Time to stock up on some Bailey’s!

12 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking December 16, 2012

Such a fun little holiday cookie! Love that you added a little kick of Bailey’s to the mix, too! Thanks for sharing.

13 Carol | a cup of mascarpone December 16, 2012

Love, love, love!!!

14 Deb December 16, 2012

The news this weekend has been a shocking jolt of reality during the holiday season. A heartbreaking reminder to enjoy each and every minute of each and every day.

I am finally starting my holiday baking by searching for new cookie recipes to try. I enjoy picking out the recipes almost as much as the process of baking! Your blog is full if sweet ideas, especially the the Baileys Irish Cream Thumbprints!

15 Jen @ Savory Simple December 16, 2012

It has been a rough couple of days. I feel like I’m just starting to come away from the shock a bit. I’ve been indulging in the sugar a bit too much and I have a feeling I would eat the entire batch of these beautiful cookies.

16 Magic of Spice December 16, 2012

Such a sad and horrible event, out hearts go out to them all.
And your cookies are just delightful, perfect for the season!

17 Terra December 16, 2012

Did I read Bailey’s + thumbprint cookie? Well….why yes please!!! They look like a chocolate lovers dream:-) Hugs, Terra

18 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings December 16, 2012

The tragedy in CT is just too much…! As a mother to young children – same age as some of the victims – this is so heartbreaking! Incomprehensible, undescribable – I have no words. The pain, the loss, the fear these people are going through…I hope the road to healing will be quick, although I know this is easier said than done.

On a different note, why can’t we all just release anger and frustration through baking? The world will be a better place for it!

19 Priscilla | ShesCookin December 16, 2012

I’ll be dreaming about these decadent bites :)

20 Suzanne Perazzini December 16, 2012

A horrible tragedy. It is certainly time for your country to do something about the gun laws.
Love the cookies though.

21 Shut Up & Cook | The Attainable Gourmet December 16, 2012

How right you are. Life is so short, and yet it is so easy to take it for granted. That is actually one of the reasons I love cooking; the chance to bring people together and all slow down for a moment. These look amazing. Beautifully done.

22 marina {yummymummykitchen.com} December 16, 2012

Baileys may just be my favorite flavor. These cookies sound fantastic!

23 Suzanne December 16, 2012

Looks yummy Laura, as I always I wish I could have a few of your cookies :)

24 Laura (Got Chocolate) December 16, 2012

Right up my alley! LOVE the Bailey’s and chocolate combo. BIG time!

25 Angela @ AnotherBitePlease December 17, 2012

um yes please…wow…these look so much better than the fruit filled thumbprints

26 Rosa December 17, 2012

What lovely cookies! I am a big fan of Baileys.

Cheers,

Rosa

27 Averie @ Averie Cooks December 17, 2012

Huge fan of Baileys, and chocolate, and your thumbprints look wonderful.

And what a weekend it’s been…indeed. Hugs to you and your family!

28 Ashley - Baker by Nature December 17, 2012

Bailey’s AND chocolate?! You’re my hero!

29 Nami | Just One Cookbook December 18, 2012

Even after several days, we still cannot believe what happened last Friday. I lose words to express. I heard about Baileys Irish Cream several times now, and now I wish to try how it’s like to be in this thumbprint cookies! It’s unique and delicious! I bet your home smells so nice everyday…. :)

30 claire @ the realistic nutritionist December 18, 2012

OH MY GAWWWW. Yes. I love that you used Bailey’s in this!!

31 Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} December 18, 2012

Ooooh, I bet the Bailey’s make these just scrumptious!

32 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts December 18, 2012

That filling sounds heavenly, just give me a spoon and I am good!

33 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} December 19, 2012

Not sure how I missed these delights! So perfect for the holiday cookie baking season! Delish!!!!!!! (I am still thinking about those folks who lost their lives and hoping they are happy in heaven and their families find some peace)

34 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) December 19, 2012

I still can’t stop thinking about last week’s tragedy. I think it will be awhile before things get back to normal for everyone.

Delightful sweets, Laura. :)

35 Patricia Scarpin December 20, 2012

I love, love, love thumbprint cookies! These are delectable!

36 Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks December 21, 2012

I love baileys and chocolate together so these look like the perfect bite!